Mass Effect Voyager

What I find most hilarious or maybe most disturbing, can’t decide yet, about this game is the amount of gamer youtubers making disparaging comments about the character designs looking like normal people as opposed to facelifted Hollywood actors.

Now, I do not have the slightest clue about the series’ lore because I’ve never played any of these games, so it might as well be more believable that everyone should look genetically tuned to “perfection”, whatever that entails.

At any rate, I honestly find the face on the left more attractive maybe because I prefer natural over fake looking. Uh so yeah, fuck the haters. At least in that regard, the game is doing well in my book.

the person on the right doesn’t look fake imo. this is the same sort of thing that says skinny people or people with large breasts, muscles are “unrealistic”

while im at it i don’t think there’s anything ultra special about hollywood people either, obv a lot of them are in the top 5% of ‘attractiveness’ according to societal norms, but i see ppl on a weekly basis that could compare. idk

3 Likes

I think they’re just trying to punch above their weight and failing. A smaller game like Life is Strange makes the right concessions to the uncanny valley so as not to be distracting, but here they’re mixing too many levels of quality so the overall impression is negative.

1 Like

I had negative interest in this game. Then I watched some streamer play the multiplayer for 30 minutes. fuuuuuuuuuck

The multiplayer sounds like it might still be cool? I liked the little bit of ME3’s that I played. Maybe I can Redbox it sometime for a weekend to mess with that part.

i’ve been consumed with nier but i got this cause my buddies did (i don’t know why, we never actually make the time play stuff together anymore) and have been dipping in for multiplayer here and there. it’s pretty okay! aiming feels weird, as in it’s hard to hit things where i want to hit things. powers do not feel particularly strong, nor do most weapons?? there are also weird sound design choices like no sound when you’re reviving a teammate, and dead silence when you finish a mission (can i get a ‘you did it’ fanfare or something?), but the games are shorter (7 waves instead of 10) and go by much faster, so that is nice.

all the humans have really large eyes and strange facial proportions.

if anybody plans on giving mp a go hooler at meh

ME3 MP is legendary. This actually looks worse, but it’s similar and also new so I want it.

I guess unrealistic beauty standards perpetuated by media are not what make people get breast implants, starve themselves or take steroids.

Maybe but I’d really like to know the percentage of top-payed Hollywood actors who did not get treatments.

Then again movies and video games and stuff are probably better off not trying to be realistic but artistic, so whatever. It’s quite possible that I just have shit taste.

I have nothing to say about mass effect sorry – just popping in to say that while I think that people are definitely influenced by media-set beauty standards, I’m a little skeptical as to the depth of that influence

and like, equating people’s desire to look good with their desire to do things they see in media completely removes a person’s agency from the equation, which is probably more damaging than whatever media beauty standards have created? I dunno, I’m not sure that’s how it works anymore given what The Internet is these days, but maybe I’m out of touch

The supercuts of bloopers from this game put me in stitches. I think the old ones are enough Mass Effect for playing in earnest and this one can just be an all-time great kusoge like Dragon Age II.

The revival of the “HOW DID THEY MESS UP MY PRECIOUS GAME” attitude from 2012 is weird as hell, though.

Everything about that Krogan fistfight is perfect.

2 Likes

Yeah I was hoping this game would be cool but after about five hours I can’t bear to bring myself to take any of it seriously.

The characters themselves don’t take it seriously! Every damn response to everything is a one liner from a buddy cop movie. Lord.

The multiplayer seemed cool at least, but I’m just realizing they took the exact things about the old one that were good and stretched the grind out as an intentional test of everyone’s patience. Weapons and powers all feel extremely weak and unsatisfying to use, and I’ve only played bronze so far, where they should at least feel like something!

oh shit, the whedon effect.

did this game even have voice direction? So many lines fall flat. It feels like none of the characters are actually there or invested in their experience.

I feel bad people crunched on this game for years but it deserves every bit of flack that it’s getting.

Boy this is worse than I even expected. It needed not just six months of bug fixes but practically every lead to be sacked.

Not every single line needs a ‘witty’ rejoinder, I’m not going to fly out the window. Why can’t the characters just be professionals? Why don’t I understand my character’s place in the world at all and whether I’m afforded military privileges or what? Why have they drastically regressed in power setup, with a million pips of “+10% cooldown”?

I thought the interesting thing about the setup is that a) it’s 600 years later and everyone you knew is dead, and b) you can’t possibly get backup. Not, ?) the rules of physics and evolution are probably different in this wacky new galaxy! (?) What kind of a take is that? Hadn’t they been trying to show me weird stuff in the previous games, and why would I trust their imagination is better this time around?

I don’t think I’ve seen another game with cursor deceleration; I managed to start a game with scruffy gylenhaal before I realized I’d improbably skipped character creation. Next time I realize oh god how come I didn’t see the Kirby blush in the character creator?

I love the FIFA spin-turn that gets used in cutscenes because nobody thought that people on a starship bridge shouldn’t do that.

I keep wondering when Lt. Tasha Yar will meet her demise to a sludge monster.

4 Likes

yeah this is why the immediate “animation is hard, give them a break” response felt wrong to me; the whole thing is a nightmare on so many other levels

thank god there’s a jrpg coming out on tuesday so i can forget all about this

I’m a little sad about the prospects for scifi RPGs going forward but we’ve got whatever the other BioWare team is working on and Cyberpunk to look forward to.

Maybe Obsidian can pull together funding for a legally distinct Alpha Protocol 2.

1 Like