Mass Effect Voyager

So I guess Witcher 3 faces are more convincing because it’s just plain less expensive to make games in Poland compared to Canada. I had the “why is this not as good as The Witcher” thought but I know that’s really reductive.

Also, the lead writer’s previous two credits are Halo 4 and Rise of Iron. :yikesghost:

“with the guns and the danger and”

when will this cursed earth be free of the scourge of the hit wb and upn series buffy the vampire slayer

7 Likes

Tommy Wiseau’s Mass Effect

2 Likes

from having visited poland for the first time recently due to being married to a polish-canadian woman, I can confirm that poland is actually really cheap considering that the standard of living appears to be basically comparable to western europe.

unfortunately they’ve recently elected a far-right government (silver lining: the party’s acronym is “pis”) but taking that aside it seems like an ideal place for cheap-but-not-exploitative-cheap skilled labour right now. so the witcher might be a bonafide outlier.

they also spent a lot more money on the witcher 3’s faces and had a lot more staff with an established pipeline and a lot more experience

pretty sure i also read the w3 devs work constant crunch, but who doesn’t in the industry

now it sounds like i’m defending this game though; it’s shit (i haven’t played it)

1 Like

with the stage fighting gif and the inconsistency of the VO I’m thinking this may or may not be a game about a man who takes the words “space opera” literally and decides to make one in the present day only to realize that no one he knows sings but he writes the script up anyway and gets his friends to act

1 Like

Guess it’s time for this again

And the eurogamer review contained the phrase “ET’s edgelord cousin”

1 Like

I watched through the end of the trial last night. Most of the non-shooting interaction is driving the 6WD around and jumping around forerunner installations to find glyphs with your scan visor like a bad stretch of Metroid Prime. Once you find all of the glyphs you do a fucken sudoku puzzle with alien characters. It’s boring as hell.

She likes the characters and how the shooting feels, but it feels insulting and cynical that this is the new Mass Effect. There was nothing wrong with Gears + B-tier Star Trek plots. Instead, it’s an attempt to build on the undiscovered worlds from ME1 with Halo’s ancient aliens/religious aliens/human destiny plot. As far as I can tell, they’ve narratively foreclosed the possibility of dense populations in the cluster, so we won’t be getting anything like Omega again.

I’m probably going to end up watching most of this so I’ll keep my ear to the ground for signs of life. I should revisit Inquisition critiques for reference.

This was also the plot of the Mass Effect trilogy though

like it ended on a magic satellite built by ancient aliens

That’s true. I should say it’s more Halo. The bad guy is called the Archon and he’s a religious fanatic. They drop troops off with ships that look like they’re Covenant or Fallen. The installations are machines that only the protagonist with the AI in their head can operate. The installations have guard robots that hover and fire laser beams at you.

1 Like

in fact, I think this is true of each of the games in the trilogy

i still like the story of ME1 the best

2 Likes

Has there been a religious aliens story where the aliens religion is also fake

Halo? The Prophets call the activation of the rings “the great journey,” but it’s just a mass extinction weapon. The Elites defect once they know they’re lying or wrong, but I don’t remember if the Prophets believe their own cooking.

1 Like

That’s pretty cool

It’s a great hook to hang the kinda cheesy writing on - this is the climax of the fake religion plot.

(in which I confirm that the Prophets believe their religion to their death)

I’m sure there’s a ton of sci-fi that has this as well - foremost in my memory is John Carter because of how blunt it is.

The Idirans in the first Culture novel by Iain Banks are very religious but their religion isn’t objectively true any more than any religion is.

I read this wrong and figured you somehow forgot Scientology.

2 Likes

You must have, I said fake

2 Likes