MANGOES (japanese manga adult literature)

I’m still on Dungeon Meshi, and also a bunch of other silly trash. Right now other stuff fails to come to mind and I’m at work so I can’t check my browser history.

I know there’s many fans of Dorohedoro here, so if you didn’t know Q Hayashida has started a new series Dai Dark, about the space adventures of a dude whose bones supposedly will grant any wish to whoever gets them, so he has to deal with people trying to kill him, with the help of his space skeleton suitcase pal. Also more or less has my life goals put to page:

6 Likes

Oh! good

Hyakumanjou Labyrinth actually seems 100% up Select Button’s alley.

1 Like

kuroshitsuji is pretty grim
i wanna catch up so i can read vagabond again

Hard to find good recommendations outside of this thread lol

I enjoyed Scientia recently, everything else has already been mentioned

Dai Dark is so perfect btw

Not so strangely Something Awful’s ADTRW has multiple threads on manga genre recommendations. It’s where I’ve been getting mine outside of this place.

1 Like

I’ve started reading and am maybe a couple hundred pages into something called Master Keaton it is like some late bubble era thing about a hyper competent archeology lecturer who is also a globetrotting insurance investigator adjustor whatever for Lloyds of London and solves every issue no problem with his infinite intellect and peerless survival skills but is also a head in the clouds spacey type I don’t know anything about manga but I saw this at the library and it seemed like a Famicom mystery visual novel game in book form and the exterior shots and the machines and the halftones are beautiful real solid stuff there. So far it is episodic and slight and whatever but I am enjoying it.

Also I saw this on the shelf at the library and it had cool drawings and no words so I snagged it without knowing what it is and haven’t read it yet but the drawings look cool and there are no words.

2 Likes

is anyone here reading chainsaw man? i can’t believe a jump series is this good, let alone this popular. so brisk and unsentimental and stupidly blunt, both ridiculously funny and a major work in the post-devilman/eva inexorable apocalyptic depression canon. the first shounen to posit that sex is both real and a huge bummer. my brain must’ve turned into crap

4 Likes

I just read the first chapter because of this post and it was very stupid in a great way, looking forward to reading more

1 Like

Chainsawman is amazing in that it feels like it’s just skirting the line of getting canceled and is just going for everything it can muster. I was not prepared for this constant chaotic energy. If it ever gets an anime there are only a few select creatives I would be interested seeing handle it.

2 Likes

yeah, it’s a testament to how fucked the anime industry has gotten over the past decade+ in terms of cultivating and giving resources to challenging new artists that the mangaka is 27 but i can’t think of anyone under 50 i’d want directing/animating that. it’s complete as it is though imo

I’m not that picky but I think the dorohedoro crew could do an appreciable job for the visual tone and giving motion to the crazier designs. I’m having to spend some effort thinking of a tv director that can handle the quiet surreal moments in a Kon like fashion.

Though I think the truest format for it would be an 80s OVA. It just screams with that energy.

1 Like

Read like 8 chapters of this last night because I could not sleep, it’s extremely funny, laughed out loud at “A testicle demon attacked his balls”. I love how juvenile it is. Good demons too.

1 Like

Mfw it’s time for a good ole massacre

2 Likes

Why didn’t anyone tell me manga rules

4 Likes

Finally a shonen protagonist with good taste

3 Likes

nb that anyone who wants to read chainsaw man should go for the excellent official translation on the shonen jump viz thing (there’s a 6 day free trial that’s easy to cancel if you aren’t feeling it), the fan translation is atrociously hyperliteral and butchers it.

3 Likes

Nothing is worse than comedy scanlations. I can only think of a handful of people that actually did a good job with them. And they all probably went on to become pros.

3 Likes

I think I’ve read good comedy scans before, but they’re super rare