Like a News Thread 8: Infinite Welp

the giant wiimote and balance board games would be really fun on a date in an arcade

12 Likes

16 Likes

Apparently the game wasn’t going to charge for new characters and instead release them for free like Suicide Squad. And I guess it would try to get continuous income through DLC skins, like Suicide Squad. Is Concord the Suicide Squad of FPSes.

it is because both of them are dead on arrival

3 Likes

wasn’t that the Tecmo bemu with Kasoomee :tarothink:

at least Suicide Squad understands that it’s always cool to punch enemies into the air and shoot them

I cannot imagine being the money man in 202X and going “yes, the extra money we’ll spend acquiring CRTs for the floor, in storage for backup, the extra buildout for mounting or placing them on the floor and the extra power they require will outweigh the layperson’s ability to perceive differences in look and feel on approved, tested modern displays”

hell, the Smithsonian didn’t have CRTs for most of their playable games back when they did their game exhibit, those were on projectors (which I’m going to go ahead and say that those are objectively worse than a best-in-class LCD w/r/t input latency), which is funny because that was hosted at the SAAM, where you could walk around a few minutes and see two different Nam June Pak pieces made up of 50+ CRTs apiece

5 Likes

The only sloop I care about is in Ballard

1 Like

i’m kind of nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking, but also because i think a videogame company that is building a videogame museum should be held to a higher standard than other institutions that have had game exhibits (i’m remembering many years ago when MoMA did its first game exhibit and it was just games running behind glass, completely non-interactive). i guess i’m thinking like, as someone who has some degree of experience in building out and conceptualizing experiential public game exhibitions, if i were the curator of the Nintendo Museum (is there even one? maybe not!), these are the details i’d be thinking about.

like i wouldn’t say i have a James Turrell exhibit at my museum and then have people walk into a room to look at pictures of previous light exhibitions, etc. the installation and presentation of art matters, and mostly what i’m getting at is that the Nintendo Museum seems disingenuous to me and is just going to be another marketing tool for them rather than some sincere effort at preserving game history

however! i’ll concede the little 80s & 90s Japanese room recreations thing was pretty neat and had sincere effort to it

12 Likes

I think half the museums I’ve been to over the last decade have had sweet ass CRTs and I’m pretty sure awhile back Felix made a post about one of the companies they’re sourced from.

Like the museum in my town has a whole mess of them. Nintendo should have them!!

8 Likes

Gamescom: Opening Night: Live starting soon

1 Like

also, where are the Nintendo arcade games?

2 Likes

270,000 combinations

3 Likes

Love to imagine that it’s Miyamoto and he has all those great ideas, and some middle-aged Salaryman from Nintendo HQ Accounting Team going

the future

and that’s that for giant wiimotes being the lower end of fun ideas :tarothink:

3 Likes

Oh phew I nearly went a week without thinking about Persona 5.

1 Like

I hope you’re sitting down if you’re reading this but Gamescom Geoff show has been pretty uneventful so far. A few fighting game characters, but these shows are all feeling increasingly like the lengthy E3 PC Gaming shows due to how many random Steam indies and DLC announcements are here.

1 Like

So is this Secret Levels amazon show Captain N for Marvel Adults?

1 Like

sifting through honkai star rail updates to get to the dontnod game feels fittingly humiliating

2 Likes

I thought that did look pretty good. I’ve not played any Life is Strange but maybe the time is now.

1 Like

first two episodes of the first game are essential for design research. deliberately pushing the telltale model until it breaks

i love all of them, though, i’m just trying to be objective because i just finished listening to the audiobook of the second true colors novel

3 Likes

Peter Molyneux is here :yikesghost:

3 Likes