Like a News Thread 8: Infinite Welp

This reminded me so much of all the little things I enjoyed about the original game. I’ve felt kind of cynical about my ability to access my own game collection lately, so I might wind up springing for this.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m basically sold on it myself. 18 years! That’s almost how long it’s been since I played the original.

1 Like
2 Likes

5 Likes

I wonder how much do they charge for a single snes rom nowadays

1 Like

excuse me. that’s 2 snes roms for the price of 1!

3 Likes

did anyone ever make a cartidge with one circuit board at each end so it had 2 games in it?

2 Likes
11 Likes

firefox_ELdCXNTpOM

first time seen a LOD glitch in a final PV

3 Likes

seems like existing employees are staying on to some degree

8 Likes

“a new hi fi rush experience in the pubg universe”

5 Likes

3 Likes

Back in April Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade: Wrath of the Mutants, a remaster of a 2017 game, was released. It’s based on the 2012 Nickelodeon TV series.

In July, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Splintered Fate was released. It’s an original story not tied to any particular Turtles continuity.

In October, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants Unleashed is going to be released. It’s a tie-in with the new Mutant Mayhem continuity.

There’s gonna be a lot of frustrated kids and parents this Christmas getting the wrong games

7 Likes

Sure Mikami’s already jumped ship but we can all now envision a future where The Evil Within 3 potentially exists

MS still owns TEW and Ghostwire IPs

sorry

4 Likes

Blizzard Entertainment’s The Evil Within 3

They’ll put the Diablo 4 team on it, it’ll be great

I was expecting a twin-stick shooter, but that’s not what this is. The navigation stick rotates the ship and thrust is separate. The game seems clearly designed around this, and maybe it would be too easy as a twin-stick shooter, but I found it difficult to get used to in my first attempt.

Edit: After a few more runs, I’m a little more accustomed to the controls. But whenever I have to dodge something quickly (not all that often) I’m not too adept at it. I like the game, though. On my last run I was able to beat the space station boss that killed me the first couple times. But the next major boss killed me right away.

1 Like

Linley Henzell of Dungeon Crawl fame made a few shmups back in the day and a couple of them were 360 degree games with Asteroids controls like this. of the two i remember liking Lacewing more, because it had a bunch of different ships and a Gradius-style powerup system where you could cash in certain numbers of powerups for ship-specific upgrades.

above: Overgod, the other of Linley’s two shumps w/ Asteroids controls

i think both in his games and in Nova Drift the dodging is difficult, but in a pretty interesting way that you can def. get better at. your current rotation affects where you can shoot AND where you can move, so you’re having to make interesting choices in what to prioritize in any given situation. and eventually you get better at using momentum to go where you want AND shoot where you want at the same time.

now that i’m thinking about it more, i guess i did play a lot of Subspace Continuum in my youth so maybe all that exposure to Asteroids controls has made more more apt to like them. i do miss Subspace! i think i largely played on the trench wars server, which was an asymmetric (attack/defense) mode where my favorite ship could kill opponents in one shot. correctly leading someone and accounting for both your and your opponent’s momentum felt soooo good. a bit like leading rockets in Quake or Shootmania (a shortlived FPS by the Trackmania devs that also had momentum, projectiles with travel time, and asymmetrical team modes).

above: Subspace Continuum on a trench wars server, which has made me realize literally no one uses the ship i like anymore booooo

8 Likes

i’d never heard of this but apparently it had a kickstarter a few years back. anyway there’s a demo out and it looks sick as.

15 Likes