jonathan blows the witness

This one is just bullshit, it’s simply not what it sounds like. I recommend just looking up the solution to this one – it won’t feel like you cheated yourself of anything. Progressing further in the bamboo area will then train you for several of the other puzzles you’re blocked on.

Yep, ain’t no trick to this one, just needs a shitton of concentration and logic. Took me well over an hour as I recall. One of the best puzzles in the game

1 Like

yeah the mountaintop puzzle (the one that needs to be solved three different ways if I’m remembering correctly) is fantastic

2 Likes

The only better puzzle is the Challenge hint hint Felix

2 Likes

Now I feel like a jerk for saying that I went back to the game and beat this one in about seven minutes, which is slightly misleading as I thought about it for a bit while standing in front of that ****ing bamboo speaker for a dozen or so minutes trying to hear something different. I did not hear anything different.

Not that I am some sort of logical beast or anything, but my mind was less frazzled and that played rather towards my puzzle strengths. Looking at a limited number of squares and having to trace a path along the edges… let me just say that where I grew up we had a shower made of big glass bricks and that I probably have some low level OCD traits. It is a pretty snazzy puzzle though.

But yay, an actual path forward! In a perfect world I’d have rather saved the mountain for after I solved everything else, and I sorta suspect I need to know another rule or two before I can actually complete it, but I ain’t gonna complain at this point.

perhaps you need to approach the problem from another point of view

Not only I disagree on it being bullshit (well, or at least I don’t remember any sound puzzle from the bamboo forest being a problem), I recommend looking up nothing because even a table of content from a FAQ will spoil major stuff that is best left unknown.

That may mean I’m no fun though. Or rather, I nejoy that way of tackling games. I’m also still solving La-Mulana blind, which means I’ve basically been stuck for the past two months.

yeah for what it’s worth I don’t remember any of the bamboo puzzles being bullshit either. I’d recommend faqqing parts of la-mulana, maybe, but I think I’d recommend staying witness blind as long as you can

Bamboo puzzles are bullshit because that class of puzzles has always been bullshit since the original myst. Theyre not even really puzzles

Having solved the sound labyrinth the wrong way, mapping it all, I can tell you that absolutely was a puzzle. And the whole bamboo forest is worth it just for the matching puzzle in the village.

Wait, what is there to map? I thought all the puzzles were can you recognize tones.

I’m talking about the Myst one, where there’s a whole maze and you’re supposed to recognize sounds from earlier puzzles as directions, but most people, including me, just explored everything and mapped it in search for the exit because we didn’t make the connection.

But the Witness one I’m talking about is one where you don’t have to recognize tones.

I still can’t solve it, so I side with it being BS for now. Also I think it has 81 potential solutions and I am pondering how long it’d take to brute force.

But to hell with that, I beat the mountain! Also the village even though that one sound house wasn’t solved.

The mountain… I’m of two minds on the mountain. On one hand there are some pretty crafty puzzles in there that do a good job testing what you’ve learned. I will also note that it basically excluded all the types I’m currently stuck on, which either means that the contents are based on the lasers you’ve unlocked or they knew they were pushing things a bit. On the other hand some of them were close to giving me headaches and making me nauseous. I feel safe saying that is never a good thing.

So I’ll probably pick around at the few puzzles I am stuck at, but even if I can’t figure out all of them I at least have achieved some degree of victory.

I watched my wife finish this today. The Witness is co-op GOTY 2016 for sure.

Most of the puzzle sets got too clever for me to help with as they progressed, but I did manage to figure out a few of them (and a lot of the environmental cues) first. If I didn’t already have a solid grasp of my own limitations, I imagine I’d have felt whatever she feels when multiplayer platformers start to get a bit intense, only worse.

For whatever it’s worth, she was hoping for more of a story or something of a revelation about the island or our character. After Braid, I was expecting that too, at least initially, but as we worked our way through it I could tell it wasn’t going to be that type of game. For a little while there, some of the atmospheric noises and darker places led her to believe we might find a stack of bodies or a serial killer or something.

I think she’s into the idea of exploring the island for secrets but I haven’t booted this back up to see if we have to start again and I’m curious if that’s worth doing.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s a bunch of secrets to find, some of which will lead you to more context regarding your stay in the island (though I found the actual explanation a lot less compelling than the one I’d put together in my head) and two more endings (of sorts, one is more like a message in a bottle) and you don’t need to restart. Although the game has set your most recent save back at the beginning, use the save menu: the save before that is right before you take the elevator, so you’re free to wander with your current puzzle quota. Your score (number of puzzles solved) will be indicated near your save and actually it’d be nice if you could post it because I’m sorta writing my answer while assuming some things about your playthrough which your score would clarify. Anyway, funny story, I didn’t know I could just reload when I first finished the game so I redid all the puzzles I knew in one afternoon because, on the other hand, I already knew there was more to be found, if only because I still had one laser to activate.

Even discarding all the puzzles known to players there’s also quite a few interesting things to find on the island. Observation and contemplation will always be rewarded.

That’s helpful. I don’t think I really noticed the load option. Our score is 434 + 17.

i actually just finished this tonight too.
i played through most of it ~6 months ago and lit all the lasers but then got stuck on the puzzle that lets you enter into the endgame stuff.
the whole thing is like a perfect 50/50 love/hate for me, but i feel like i’m going to end up doing some post-game stuff tomorrow, so i guess that counts for something.

my score is at 417+16

omg i just got the secret ending i was absolutely crying laughing the whole way through. i guess it just fully commits to it’s goofiness in a way i wasn’t expecting and has totally turned me on the rest of the attempts at narrative/meaning from being just straight up dumb to sort of endearing.

1 Like

& i beat the challenge room!!
i would not have believed you if you tried to tell me a year ago that i would platinum the follow up to braid.

This is a very good video

1 Like

Huge spoilers in that vid btw!