jonathan blows the witness

or, as my wife says, “stop saying it like that, it sounds like someone is getting blown”

this game might be totally sublime! or at least no one else is even trying at sublime these days. I don’t even like first-person puzzle solving or waking simulators that much, and I think it’s pretty debatable whether or not myst-style game design has held up (I didn’t play talos).

I’m pretty excited to give it a shot though.

1 Like

Wait. Is this out?

Tuesday

And hey, if it’s no good, we still get Stephens sausage roll and miegakure this year. Lots of highbrow puzzle games.

Great thread guys. Will be seeing you in a week.

we can do both!

Say what you want, especially about the (easily ignorable) text, but Braid is a great game.

3 Likes

I too enjoyed his work on blinx the time sweeper

3 Likes

I preordered it because I’m an idiot. I don’t even own a machine I can play it on.

I’m probably going to borrow this game from the internet :sunglasses:

1 Like

I am very excited for this game! It’s so pretty and I can’t get enough puzzle games in my life. I hope the puzzles get difficult quickly; that’s my main complaint about most puzzle games. As cool as the Talos Principle is, it felt like the first 10 hours were rather simple. I want some puzzles I sink my teeth into and get stuck on for a while.

Then again, I beat DRoD when I was 13, so maybe I represent a rather niche audience at this point.

1 Like

Talos had a lot of Portal 2 inspired puzzles from what I saw, and it’s a lot less pretty. I think the comparison won’t hold up for long.

Chances are pretty high at this point that The Witness won’t live up to the hype, going in expecting “sublime” might be setting it up to fail. It seems to be some kind of dry and technical formal exploration in an incongruously pretty landscape. We’ll see if it adds up to more than the sum of its parts.

The Witness is probably going to be a pretty good puzzle game.

But I’m already buried in one game and not actually in the mood for a static puzzle solver for once, so I think I’ll be waiting on this one for awhile.

so are we not talking about the piss jug

3 Likes

Has there been any hint yet that it will be anything other than walking through a garden solving those pipe puzzles?

I’ve been fully expecting that to be the first hour of the game, and then the floor opens up and you fall into a Valve game or something.

I really hope he doesn’t try to use the spatialization of cell phone puzzles to try to make some point about Video Games. J. Blow really seems to think he’s cleverer with the humanities than he actually is.

I am more than expecting - hoping, dreaming - that he falls down some kind of pretentiousness hole in the middle of this thing. Because otherwise why bother?

2 Likes

I enjoyed Braid years after Soulja Boy so.

2 Likes

I won’t be disappointed if the floor doesn’t fall out; I just want to solve tricky puzzles.

Everything that wasn’t puzzles in Braid was sort of shitty.

Didn’t really mean to compare them in any meaningful way other than as puzzle games.

Puzzles!

EDIT: Didn’t even notice that Talos was mentioned in the OP.

Talos puzzles are way more discrete than Myst’s. Well, I guess Myst’s puzzles are pretty isolated sometimes too, but Talos’s puzzles happen in dedicated PUZZLE AREAS. There are some meta-puzzles where you can link things together between those puzzle areas, but that feels more like a subversion of other puzzle games rather than an homage to Myst.

2 Likes

I think the embargo just lifted

wooooooooooooooooooop