jonathan blows the witness

Yeah, @Sykel, you might want to mention the spoileriffc nature of that video (which I haven’t watched yet, come to think of it) in your post. This is one game which I think is more enjoyable when knowing to keep away from spoilers.

@dedede69 indeed that ending really seems to come out of left field, depending on what places you’ve visited. I was utterly befuddled when I first encountered it. And congrats on platinum!

@robo right, so from your score you know about the perspective puzzles. That alone can bring you a great deal of extra entertainment, the way some of the puzzles are designed is really interesting. But there’s other stuff too (like lighting up all the lasers, obviously).

This is the first read of the game I’ve come across that isn’t a hit piece about Jonathan Blow. Ahhhh.

1 Like

You know, we really were The Witness.

OBVIOUSLY there are spoilers in that video

OBVIOUSLY

OBVIOUSLY

2 Likes

still playing this!!

509+55 i think?

This game is GOTY2016 for me, not the least because it is an excellent game to play co-op in front of a big screen :slight_smile: (Been playing with my wife who normally isn’t into games at all)

2 Likes

@gate88 omg you guys i love that puzzle collection! getting real into Towers atm coz it’s possible to have a really challenging game that’s small enough i can play it on my phone

1 Like

oh my god ok i was wondering if this was a thing and so it is. thnku. this is where i’m stuck atm too

1 Like

whoa what

I finally got around to playing this game recently. I’d avoided reading this thread until I’d made enough progress that nothing could really be spoiled. But now I’m not sure that there is really anything to spoil, other than puzzle strategies and solutions. Everything I’ve found with a narrative element to it just seems to be random quotes and things that the game’s creator likes.

So far, I have turned on enough lasers to enter what I guess is the final area, but I haven’t yet finished that area. I decided I should leave and try to complete the other things I’d left undone first.

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get to some puzzles that I can see up in the trees, but I still have no idea how to reach that area. There is also an isolated puzzle on a shipwreck that nothing else in the game has seemed to prepare me for. Finally, I don’t know what the little monoliths are about, though I have lit a lot of them up.

I’ve been impressed (and at times frustrated) with the way that you have to figure out how a puzzle type works before even starting to find the solution to individual puzzles.

There definitely are things to spoil, and while a lot of it could indeed be described as puzzle strategies it’d do the depth of the game and the way it explores every little twist of its concepts a disservice. The shipwreck puzzle is an interesting example, I’ve seen a lot of reviewers call it unfair, broken or even bugged but it is completely logical (although one of the hardest pure logic puzzles) and you may already have the means to understanding it, you just need to look at it and think about hat you know of the puzzle language, so to speak. Heck, I myself made the mistake of calling one specific puzzle bugged and as it turns out, it wasn’t, I was just getting a rule wrong.

I played the game entirely blind (well, as far as you can do such a thing, since no one’s absolutely sure the current known puzzle total is the actual puzzle total) and don’t regret it at all, and I maintain it’s the best way to experience it.

To put it simply, because the puzzles are almost the whole point, there’s nothing to gain by spoiling the puzzles and everything to lose, because you’ll never get the pleasure of figuring out said puzzles (or that such puzzle mechanics can even exist, and yeah you think you know what I’m talking about and that would be a hasty conclusion) and other rewards you may get will seem paltry at best without having experienced it.

Even that wonderful video Sykel’s posted, despite spelling out as much as it can (despite missing at least one big thing about the mechanics of the island), will make a lot more sense if you’ve actually played through it.

1 Like

The shipwreck vexes me to this day as I know it is there and yet I’ve never actually found it. Not the solution mind you, I’ve managed to apparently walk past it several times.

As much as I hate to give advice regarding this game I would recommend against this. The body of my time with the game was very good, but I do not care for some of the puzzles in it at all and forcing myself to try and experience all of them at the end there kinda tainted the whole experience. Figure out what you can but more than any other game I can name feel free to walk away and leave things well enough. I’d have probably given the game a 9/10 if I was satisfied with having “only” like 9 of the 11 lasers (or however many there are minus two) active, now I’d maybe give it an 8/10 at best.

2 Likes

That too. The game very much expects you to go to the mountain as soon as you’ve got enough lasers anyway, and solving 100% of the lasers can take a lot longer than just solving enough to access the mountain area (like, for me, 20 hours to finish the game the first time but 58 to 100% it, and I think I hit the full laser mark at around 40 hours).

So I’m finally playing this and I’m already stuck on a thing with rocks and clouds and stuff. So I wandered off and found some other puzzles I didn’t know how to solve, plus one that just shut off after I failed it the first time. It’s…kind of pissing me off?

Actually this game is making me very mad. I am in the greenhouse and I goofed on a puzzle, so it shut down. Then I went back to the previous puzzle to re-open it but forgot my solution as soon as I cleared it, and goofed on that one too, which also shut down.

That’s just annoying.

Glad I didn’t pay $30 for this frankly.

I assume that they cut off some of the puzzles when you get the solution wrong to keep you from simply guessing until you stumble upon the right answer. I also found this irritating at times.

Someone who wants to play this game in easy mode will presumably just use a guide rather than engage in tedious trial-and-error. Like many forms of copy protection, this seems to punish those who play the prescribed way while not really deterring those who do not.

I have been pretty impressed with this game. The Talos Principle ranks a little higher in my mind, though, even if it is not quite as elegant and clever by some measures.

[quote=“wourme, post:403, topic:761, full:true”]they cut off some of the puzzles when you get the solution wrong to keep you from simply guessing
[/quote]

did not realize this was a thing. now annoyed bc i thought i had solved something but it was actually shutting off bc i got it wrong

They only cut off the power to certain puzzles when you get the following puzzle wrong and I believe it gets a bit less common as you proceed. That said, one of my least favorite puzzles in the game also did this and… it was bad.

oh
never mind then, i noticed that happening with the linked puzzles but i thought it also applied to other puzzles

wah i want to have time to play this game…