JOHN WICK

seeing this in a theater with good speakers really emphasizes the loud, chunky and satisfying sound design inside all the kicks and blasts and stabs and groin mauls

i enjoy all the details in this little Bitchin’ Assassin Cinematic Universe, so feel free to keep making more of these

loved the cameo from Basically the Shotgun from Doom 2016

Man, there was a lot I enjoyed in this movie.

His one rival baddie being a John Wick fanboy was great.

Did not expect the movie to be themed around social contracts as tenable solutions, and money as an explicit social contract but that does deal with the weird valuation of gold coins a bit better, while also making fun of the AM Radio “gold has inherent value” crowd, so I am good with it.

I liked John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum, though I didn’t like it as much as John Wick: Chapter 2, which I didn’t like as much as John Wick. The lore and mythology of the world, an exciting and mysteriously alluring part of the first film and a bizarrely charming elaboration in the second, structures too much of this one’s plot for my tastes. A lot of the core ideas are good, and the action is always fabulous. There’s some really ingenious stuff, and I love that it is without fail spatially, narratively, and emotionally coherent.

John Wick works so well as an icon and draws so much power from Keanu Reeves’s iconicity. I love these movies.

Halle Berry is allowed to literally steal the show for a while, and it’s the film’s best sequence. I was genuinely bummed when that section of the film closed.

I love not really knowing much about what’s going to be in this movie. When Anjelica Huston showed up I almost squealed with delight. And her whole costume and presence was phenomenal.

One of the cool things about John Wick as a series is it seems like almost every named character could support their own movie/series/comic book. I’m a little scared that the makers are gonna lean too heavily on this, because I think one of the cool things is that it makes it seem like they could, but really, they can’t. It’s good sleight of hand, and one worries trying to double or triple down on such tricks will make it all fall apart.

I understand there’s a Ballerina spinoff coming, which this sets up a little bit, I suppose (fun (?) mistake I made: I erroneously thought for a second that the featured ballerina onstage was Jodie Comer from Killing Eve and my mind was blown for a second, then it got unblown). There’s also supposed to be a TV series? I’m worried and I’m not sure the world of the Continental and the High Table will bear all this elaboration, and that the initiation of the JWCU might buckle under its possibly leaden weight.

On the other hand, I am eager to see what happens in John Wick: Chapter 4 - Insouciance, and if Stahleski & co. want to spin Halle Berry off into her own movie, I am there so goddamn hard. I want that movie.

I thought the cool thing about 2 was it went from seeming like some secret comic book assassin underworld in 1 to, no actually it’s a sci-fi dystopia and all the civilians probably have some awareness of this high table shit but it’s a don’t ask don’t tell thing, just keep moving and keep your head down if some guy murders another guy in public, every third person has the continental assassin app on their phone for when they can’t make rent or want a shot at the good life.

At least I hope that’s what they are going for, if they ever cut to a scene of some interpol agent cleaning up a ninja crime scene saying “Ah, the high table, we’ve been after them for years” I’ll be disappointed.

5 Likes

oh christ, assassinations as gig jobs automated by an app is the worst thing i’ve ever heard, thank you (no really)

1 Like

Alright just gonna check the Japa- OCTOBER???

Freaking Japan. I was used to this not happening any more.

I hadn’t caught that Yayan Ruhian was in this, soon as I saw him appear as part of the “ninja squad” I knew that casting boost would help knock things out of the park/gun range.

Yeah I liked Wick 3 a whole lot. I’d meant to watch 2 again beforehand and didn’t get to but am pretty sure this was the stronger ride. A lot of the first’s slow turn worldbuilding and stylish yet not constant gratuitous violence, you could kinda feel them lean in too hard with Chapter 2 but now? That’s become the bigger backbone. Every shot hit its mark.

Glad our man Charon the concierge got in on the action, also the sequence mid film with Berry’s character and dogs in the Foundry/Casablanca was great even if something about the choregraphy and runtime made it feel a bit more unnatural and stilted than the rest.

The suspension of disbelief’s getting stretched further with each one. I only see 1-2 films left in the tank, if so may they burn brightest.

Me at the end of chapter 2: this is starting to go up its own ass

Me at the end if chapter 3: this has go so far up its own ass that it popped back out smelling of daises and murder

I liked the part where John gets kicked through glass 5-6 times in a row

3 Likes
2 Likes

love that the set design in this movie seemed to come from a Pinterest board labeled “Cool and Respectable Man Cave Ideas”

also seemed like a missed opportunity for some Bulleit Burbon product placement

2 Likes
4 Likes

so, correct me if I’m wrong

the timeline of 2-3 is definitely a week

1-2 is a bit more sketchy, it’s probably, what, a few weeks to a month?

John Wick is having a eventful month is what I’m getting at

1 Like

Chapter 4 due May the 21st, 2021.

Better have Carrie-Anne Moss.

2 Likes

thaf segment reminds me of a 2010 cover shooter where you’re suddenly playing as another character

Pretty much, friend and I leaving the theater also agreed it was the most video gamey

2 starts 4 days after 1.

Nobody told me about Knife Hallway.

9 Likes

Nonsensical forge placement to signal Metal Work. Even if this foundry where they cast gold coins also does other metalwork or they do certain related or maintenance tasks the old-fashioned way (making other tools the use in production? idk?) you wouldn’t place them in a big empty space outside like that you need shade in which to judge the color of your work this is basic stuff cannot believe they want me to buy this environment they’ve set up in their film.

Those big vats of molten gold seem to just be set in the floor? And they have people pouring more in with smaller, but still pretty big crucibles?

A) Those smaller deals would be heavy as motherfucker if they were filled with molten gold you are not handling them that easy by hand.

1. You’d melt your big charge in a large holding crucible that’s mounted so it can be easily tilted. Then you pour from there into the smaller crucible. From the smaller crucible into your mold.

The way they have it set up the holding crucible is like a big floor furnace and the transfer crucible is a ladle? I guess? Or they’re supposed to be melting it somewhere else and they transfer to the Big Floor Pot and keep it a-melting forever? For some reason?

I know these people are extremely rich but the amount of energy it would take to keep multiple gigantic masses of gold in a molten state for dramatic background purposes has to be astonishing. And then nobody even falls into one!

Other than this and the suggestion that somewhere in the Secret Assassin Hotel is a hallway designed by Dan Aykroyd a pretty plausible movie.

8 Likes