it's more fun to emulate

cemu is fantastic now, shame about the games

looking forward to rpcs3 getting there

Cxbx works great for Jet Set Radio Future and Galleon (hi @winkerwatson ).

https://twitter.com/tokyorude/status/1089773169815080960?s=21

2 Likes

https://engblg.livingcomputers.org/index.php/2019/01/19/introducing-darkstar-a-xerox-star-emulator/

cool as af

6 Likes

What about them, there arenā€™t many good ones?

if i can run dolphin and pcsx2, can i run cxbx?

Yep!!!

1 Like

Nothing useable to report yet, but u/beardypig is on the case, worth staying tuned imo

For a PS1 light gun (GunCon or similar) - not with out a custom connection to the GPIO pins or similar. However, a GunCon 2 (for the PS2) is very possible - itā€™s USB, so easy to connect to a Pi.

I have been working on a kernel module (driver) to support the GunCon 2 that will let you use it as a mouse and joystick which should work well with RetroArch. The GunCon 2 (and GunCon for that matter) work differently to NES Zapper style light guns, they know where on the screen they are pointed at all times (unless the screen is too dark, etc.). The current latest version of RetroArch supports this kind of light gun, as it is essentially an absolute mouse (same as the LCD light gun mentioned - LCD TopGun 3, Aimtrak, etc.).

I plan to release the kernel module soon, but I am still working on testing it. If anyone is familiar with the old drivers for the GunCon 2 (WinGun, etc.) you will know they have an issue with the X axis tracking, I have fixed this issue with the new driver and the tracking is reasonably accurate on a CRT TV (as good as it was on the PS2).

https://www.beardypig.com/

2 Likes

howā€™s rcps3 going? specifically re: demonā€™s

itā€™s basically flawless for demonā€™s, struggles on later PS3 releases especially if you have fewer than 6 cores

1 Like

Apparently, Demonā€™s Souls has issues right now. Newer builds have borked the graphics output a bit, in that it can frequently show black flickering bands. I guess there is a special side build of RCPS3, to try and specifically avoid this glitched output. But they havenā€™t totally figured it out, yet.

still waiting for decent xbox emulator so I can play Ninja Gaiden.

2 Likes

Itā€™s such a bummer thatā€™s thereā€™s a kickass Xbox emulator only it exists as as Xbox One X executable. I hoped that they woul have released the Xbox BC emulator on Windows 10 as a Play Anywhere thing or whatever by now, because Ninja Gaiden looks great at 4Kinda

oh god that boss

I actually want that sunday morning back

1 Like

Are there qualities that make Ninja Gaiden Black on Xbox better than Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PS3?

other than that I donā€™t think the game aged particularly well beyond 2005, no

full disclosure I have not played sigma but I did get sigma 2 on a lark a few years ago and found it pretty boring compared to my memories of the Xbox original

something about those chonky polygons made a lot of its thinner and more obstinate design choices seem ambitious

I have never known the appeal of the 3d Ninja Gaidens

1 Like

I keep hearing people saying all the Sigma versions were mostly downgrades beyond the higher resolutions but not really sure in what ways.

Sigma 2 & 3 were significant downgrades in various ways but all that Iā€™ve read about Sigma 1 is that people are annoyed that it cut some puzzles and levels (which others claimed were deeply obnoxious). I played Sigma 12 years ago and am a little itchy to replay a version of NG1, whichever is considered The Best One.

Ninja Gaiden 2/Sigma 2 are going for something but the streamlining they didnā€™t (Halo-style health regen) didnā€™t quite work and the encounters fell off of inspired and into frustrating a bit too often.

Ninja Gaiden to Devil May Cry is an almost perfect analogy to Nioh to Souls; a bit faster, a bit less fantasy and more comic book, ultimately representing the best of the runners-up.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never played Ninja Gaiden Black. So I donā€™t have personal experience with it. I do own Sigma. but some things I remember hearing are that Sigma gives you some/all of the weapons (you find them in the levels, rather than buy them) and you get a couple of them possibly much earlier than Black otherwise does. You walk on water just by pushing forward (I guess in Black, you have to do a rythmic pulse between a couple of buttons to water walk). Andā€¦some other things I donā€™t remember.

A friend of mine was really pissed when he watched me water walking with no big deal. I think its sort of a right of passage kind of mindset. Like, he had to deal with that and that informed his sense of achievement with the game. But I didnā€™t. So he doesnā€™t like Sigma.