It's a PC Engine Mini!

Not that I can tell! I tried headbanging the air and the ground and nothing seems to make them let go any faster. They suck!

1 Like

I will probably look very ignorant now, butā€¦ Is there a connection between MSX and PC Engine?

Nahh theyā€™re two different things. PC Engine was the Turbografx 16 here while the MSX was more of, well a PC than the PC Engine. Itā€™s much more of a blindspot for me but thatā€™s where games like La Mulana come from originally.

1 Like

the only connection that i know of is that hudson released some msx games on cards, in what was probably a kind of prototype for the hucard format

4 Likes

The PC-88 is the same generation as the MSX and was developed by NEC, so maybe youā€™re thinking of that.

4 Likes

Told myself Iā€™d be okay not owning one of these but I just spent half an hour spamming a chatroom with screenshots of games that arenā€™t on the PCE Mini and that somehow sold me on this. I am going to spend $700 buying all these NEC Minis and all their accessories.

Lookit this fat mother!!

abdullah

The PC Engine is the only console where a long nosed goblin can shoot Nise Abdullah the Butcher to death.

http://magweasel.com/2009/05/09/pc-engine-white/

Iā€™m gonna re-read this entire series. I remember loving itā€¦because i love the PC Engine.

4 Likes

If Iā€™m not mistaken it looks like the release date got updated from TBD to like, 4 days from now.
I really really want to get one but Amazon are pricks and wonā€™t ship it to Australia :stampstampstamp:

So apparently amazon AU is allowing orders for the Turbografx Mini via the US site so Iā€™ve got one on the way. I was kinda leaning towards the CoreGrafx version because it looks better but seems the UK store is off limits for us Aussies.

I wanted an extra controller but seems they are not available at the moment. Does anyone know what other controllers are compatible? Like if I tried to just use a megadrive mini controller would that work?

I read somewhere that some Retrobit Genesis pad was compatible. I think they locked out almost all accessories. maybe when they release a hack for it youā€™ll be able to use other stuff?

Ah that figures, gotta make us buy official Hori products I guess

thanks, Iā€™ll check out the Retrobit controller to see if I can get it locally

My TG16 mini arrived today. The back part of the console that houses the cables is one heck of a thing to try to get off, feels like youā€™re gonna damage the case.

One for the ā€˜doing it wrong threadā€™, was playing Bonk for a while and was thinking how this little dude canā€™t jump, there felt like no speed ramping or whatever to his movements. Just up and down with minimal height.
The first level has all these platforms with fruit collectibles that were just out of reach, so I had to work out how to jump out of the waterfalls and do the bonk-downwards manoeuvre at just the right time to get enough horizontal movement to get onto the platforms.
Then in the cave level I was finding it impossible to jump from bone to bone without falling in the lava because the jump was so low.
After losing all my lives I realised I still had turbo switched on from playing Space Harrier before. Switching it off, suddenly the game is much easier.

I have zero experience for the TG16 / PC Engine, and thereā€™s maybe 4 games on this thing that Iā€™ve played previously, so itā€™s gonna be interesting to go through these

8 Likes

Anyone looking to get one of these, be aware that the PC Engine / jp version does not have turbo on the controllers.

I got the 1cc in Sapphire easy mode last week. I should bump it up to normal but easy is so fun. Iā€™m just doing victory laps. Lovely game.

Yeah turbo feels kinda essential with all the shooters on here

Actually all but a few have autofire. Itā€™s good for Dragon Spirit and Space Harrier. The rest I think donā€™t need it. Gradius you can just switch to laser.

And Aldynes and some of the older shmups could do with it.

S I G H

I guess Iā€™ll learn Japanese and play Tokimeki Memorial or whatever.

doesnā€™t the pal version have turbo controllers? and the console itself is the best looking of all three

The Core Blimey 16?

I think it does yeah, thatā€™s the one to go for.

Turbo helps a lot in Ys 2 when you get dat fire magic!

1 Like

Yep thatā€™s what I wanted to get, but Amazon AU only seems to ship from the US now.

I finished Ys Book I & II last night, pretty great game. The bump combat is a surprisingly engaging and a little more involved than I thought. This game also has the funniest transistion from CD quality sound and intro cinematic to the actual gameplay. I liked that the final fight of Book 1 felt like a battle against a DVD player screensaver.

I think I accidentally encountered a somewhat convenient glitch where I got lost in the canal looking for the door to the Ys Core, I could see the door but didnā€™t know how to reach it so I saved while standing on the edge of the platform looking toward the door. The next day I came back and loaded the save and was now on the lower level so could just walk through the door. I think it was the same X, Y coordinates, just the game didnā€™t seem to save the elevation or whatever.

One weird plot thing that stuck out to me was that the fortune teller who sets off the whole adventure gets kidnapped, and then as far as I know that never got resolved. Sheā€™s just never mentioned again. Did I miss something?

also found it funny that Feena only shows up briefly to get saved by Adol and then becomes irrelevant to the plot until the last minute where sheā€™s now apparently Adolā€™s main love interest except sheā€™s a goddess so has to disappear forever. Poor Lilia.

Apparently thereā€™s an anime adaptation of these games, is that any good?

4 Likes