It's a PC Engine Mini!

Wow this apparently does actually come out in 17 minutes Japan Standard Time.

Now I have to convince myself not to buy one tomorrow! There is this big weird showcase video by Konami with a terrible English Teacher announcer. I want to redub it!! Maybe I will.

2 Likes

Goals and Ghosts.

2 Likes

Unspeakable Masterpiece

1 Like

it is truly fantastic that they include both japanese and english versions of, for example, both neutopia games, but only has JJ and Jeff and not the original Kato-chan & Ken-chan, when the original game was based on like actual celebrities and the foreign version just replaced them with generic white dudes

presumably, not wanting to pay the celebrities is why they only put in the western version.
but on the other hand, the game is awful garbage, and i don’t know why they bothered putting it in at all since it won’t even have the appeal to fans of the guys anymore.
(also, i found out not long ago that they hosted the original show from whence sprang the us’s america’s funniest home videos and the uk’s you’ve ben framed)

3 Likes

The Japanese trailer has a clear not professional narrator (sounds like it might be M2’s president maybe?) but does actually explain why the game is unique. So now I know they wrote the english narration in a vacuum.

The only explanation that rings is nostalgia, since it is such a memorable and distinctive early title for the system, sort of like Altered Beast. Except… Altered Beast was a pack-in so everyone owned it, and much as it pains me to go gnostic with art it is objectively a superior work in every imaginable way. As middling as it may be.

But, I guess they’re trying to replicate the authentic experience, iconic mediocrity included?

1 Like

This feels so accurate to the videos they used to have in department store kiosks, sitting next to the GENESIS (DOES!) GENESIS (DOES!) cabinet.

EDIT: Ah, here’s… at least one variant. Can’t tell if this is the same one I remember from the Service Merchandise in Augusta.

1 Like

I love the voice over so much

JJ & Jeff is so much better than Altered Beast are you kidding me it has enemies that poop on you and you can warp via public toilets and you eat all sorts of fruit and it’s got that melancholy underground music it is a perfectly ok prankster Wonder Boy

7 Likes

It’s true. There is a distinct absence of poop in Altered Beast.

2 Likes

Ah yes, the 1991s, my favorite era.

5 Likes

actually, this is a good enough explanation. i’ve had a pc engine for a few years now, and there are a few games i own, hucards and cds alike that are definitely mediocre at best, and i just bought because they were cheap.

but at some point i realised that this is probably the most realistic way to approach old consoles. as a kid, my mega drive library wasn’t a solid wall of classics, nobody’s was.

DUNGEON EXPLORER, the original Japanese version of… DUNGEON EXPLORER.

1 Like

You can tell because they say absolutely nothing about it.

1 Like

Video game humour may have peaked with the JJ & Jeff cast roll and half of these would make good user titles

15 Likes

Dibs on “He loves to scrounge”

1 Like

Altered Faece.

(That is the singular for feces, right? A sole faece?)

Summary

1 Like

This is a sentiment I fully subscribe to

1 Like

the 1991s started in 1988 and ended in 1992

9 Likes