It's a PC Engine Mini!

Slow build up, then crashing resolution.

as someone who always meant to get around to the PC engine library (outside YS and BONK) this has me incredibly excited

2 Likes

This thing is still indefinitely postponed in the west, right?

They added two newly made ports of Fantasy Zone and Gradius marked as “near arcade” bless M2.

1 Like

I believe so, unfortunately. Doesn’t help that right now Amazon wouldn’t ship it anyway.

Didn’t they already have quite-good ports?

Cool that we’re getting a rerelease of Snatcher. For me the best part is the shmups: Spriggan, Sapphire, Star Parodier, Lords of Thunder, Valkyrie no Densetsu–okay this thing is really cool.

3 Likes

Okay, so the FZ and Gradius ports aren’t completely new. As a hidden option they’ve tweaked the existing ports and done a remix mode to bring them closer to arcade—mostly palettes, some graphical details, and in the case of Fantasy Zone, completely redone the music. Which now sounds like this:

(Check out the boss theme arrangement!)

4 Likes

I can see the thought process. It’s like, “We’re porting this… and trying to keep it accurate while improving any little glitches, but… can we just… can we really leave it like this? Oh God. Can’t we just—what if we change… but then what? It’s not going to be the same game anymore. Maybe if we make a separate remix? Would that be fine?”

M2 seems like a cool bunch of people.

2 Likes

Ken just now died of complications from Coronavirus.

Saw him on a Funny Animals show weekly.

That show also had Pan-kun a chimpanzee they dressed as a child and did funny stuff until…it hit puberty and ate it’s owner’sface off.

So they had a new chimp doing funny human stuff.

Anyways the comedian that died hadn’t been in the best health the past few years.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: hi everyone take care

my jaw would be on the floor for this extra work they’ve made

if not for the fact that they just made the best Fantasy Zone game as a hidden extra to their ports of Fantasy Zone games to the PS2

like imagine commissioning someone to port Sonic games to the PS2 and they just not only port them perfectly but decide to just make Sonic Mania too and add it in there as a secret extra. M2 is a legend, these new arrangements are incredible

3 Likes

Only experience I have with Ken and Kato besides the PC-Engine game was a game show segment they made with Downtown (of Gaki no Tsukai fame) where they all sit on towers of boxes while different things would come out to knock them down. They seemed to be pretty funny and rowdy, I imagine this must be heartbreaking to a lot of Japanese people.

2 Likes

I canceled my TG-16 order and switched to a PC Engine Mini that got here in a few days. These menus are too good. M2 should mini every console ever.

4 Likes

Where did you order from?
Are you in the USA?

I am yeah. Right here:

It’s easy to use Google translate to make everything readable and making an account and everything is painless. Just like ordering from English Amazon.

2 Likes

My Japanese version arrived today!

Now I know about all those games Brandon talks about on the IC podcast.
Well, I like them better than Landstalker at least; Bonk’s Revenge has a ton of personality. No Valis though sadly.

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire and Dracula X are the real standouts so far.

4 Likes

I hate hate hated Bonk’s Adventure’s last boss but Revenge definitely has a lot of personality so far. My favorite thing about it is the number of smiley faces you collect effecting how fancy the train you ride to the next level is, complete with dinosaurs who tell you “Great job” while throwing hearts and 1-ups at you.

4 Likes

I just killed the dark priest Shaft by throwing a lot of cats at him.

I think my favourite thing about Bonk is how he reacts to fishermen… Is there a trick to getting rid of piranhas quicker? They’re so savage :open_mouth:

2 Likes