is anyone else playing dragon's dogma on switch

sure!

your pawn has a primary and secondary inclination, both of which are influenced by your behaviour in often counter-intuitive ways. i do not recommend learning how to influence them these ways because they’re kind of fickle and weird. instead, you can (eventually) buy elixirs with Rift Dollars that influence them towards a certain inclination, and one elixir that sets them back to neutral. iirc you can get the inclinations you want by giving them a neutralizing elixer, then one for their secondary, then two for their primary, in that order.

also! there are a lot of these and not all of them are useful!

scather

focus strong enemies, and prefer big single hits. awesome on strider pawns because it makes them more likely to climb big monsters, so if you go with it make sure to equip skills that work while climbing.

medicant

prioritize healing in combat and pre-emptively cast buffs when enemies are noticed but before combat starts. i like this as a secondary for mages assuming they have healing spells.

mitigator

opposite of scather. hunt down weaker mobs first. great on ranger pawns because they can mop up trash mobs that like to run up and hit you out of attacks. helpful if your arisen is built around big slow attacks as you’re probably gonna aim those at bigger mobs

challenger

prioritize ranged & spellcasters. great on any ranged pawns, especially rangers. enemy mages tend have terrible physical defense, so rangers can drop them fast.

utilitarian

focus on exploiting monster weaknesses. this is an extremely useful one in the later game as your pawns bestiary knowledge improves. your pawns can also learn stuff from being hired and bring that back to help you, so it can sometimes help with monsters you haven’t seen before. this is my preferred primary inclination for mages, assuming you equip them with a lot of weapon buffs

guardian

stay near you and only counterattack to protect you. they’ll prioritize following you over anything and will stop attacking any time you move.

nexus

prioritize carrying downed pawns back to you. never seen the point to this one, i never play a healer

pioneer

scout ahead & engage monsters first, at range if possible. when combined with acquisitor they’ll seek out items out of combat.

acquisitor

prioritize item collection & looting. not a huge fan of this one because it makes them get distracted & get hit

:tada: the good ones :tada:

scather, mitigator, and challenger are all great on physical attack pawns, depending on how you’ve set up their skills.

utilitarian is the best inclination imo. great on on mage pawns assuming you equip them with weapon buffs. amazing on sorcerer pawns if you are also a sorcerer, as there’s a spell sync mechanic that lets both of you speed up your cast times by casting the same spell. utilitarian sorcerers will follow your lead and sync with you, which is invaluable when trying to land some of the stronger sorcerer spells. as you build monster knowledge this gets great for everyone

medicant is helpful for support mages. i usually give mine 3 buffs, 2 healing spells, and the strong fire aoe (mage damage isn’t great but it’s good at interrupting monsters) and set them to utilitarian/medicant. will make utilitarians proactively buff when they notice a monster which can be really helpful if you’re using ranger long distance shots

:poop: avoid at all costs :poop:

guardian. it makes every pawn useless. melee pawns won’t attack anything, spell pawns will just get hit a lot and not do anything about it. one of the fickle + weird things about inclinations i mentioned earlier is relevant here: if you spam the “come” and “help” commands you’ll inadvertently tilt your pawn this way, so be careful about that.

because guardian is so useless, there’s not really a good tanking inclination. mitigator sort of gets you there as they’ll try to taunt all the little guys & keep them off you. if you want a tank fighter pawn, i recommend not equipping any shield skills other than the taunt so they’ll reliably d it. don’t do this on warriors tho, they do have taunts but they’re really made to do damage

hope that helps!

11 Likes

this is a really good guide to one of the more annoying things about this game! thank you!!

1 Like

PS4! i don’t have internet at the moment so idk what pawn of exists to rent, if any (i think it’s something that gets uploaded/updated when i log in?)

thx @physical for holding down the fort while I tend to my cat :slight_smile:

rented pawns also have these inclinations so it’s good to take a look through their info and make sure that they have inclinations that you’d want on them - it’s usually too much to hope that every dagger pawn has utilitarian/scather or whatever, but as long as there’s no guardian on a pawn that’s good enough for me if I can’t find anyone better. and it usually only really matters in the post-game DLC stuff anyway

that said, the easiest way to get your pawn to have the guardian inclination is to spam the “Help!” and “Come!” commands so try to avoid those if you can

1 Like

is guardian just known to be broken or what

did the developers think it’d be funny if it amounted to “needy” and left it that way

I made a big doofy florida boy packmule of a pawn and I named him Key West.

5 Likes

Usually I avoid min/max stuff and looking up hints or guides or faqs unless I’ve been stuck for half my life, but I came across some details about how some of the abilities (don’t) stack and how the pawn inclinations work and actually felt enriched.

Early on the pawn system is so natural that I love it—ie your character picks up stuff in battle, your pawn sees this and starts doing the same. It’s just when things get harder, or you get a bigger palette of abilities and you want to experiment with some of the more involved classes that you might benefit from a quick peak behind the curtain.

1 Like

oh yeah, learning this stuff isn’t mandatory to enjoy the game at all (except the guardian thing, i think the pawn AI gets a bad rap when it’s actually just really easy to accidentally train and hire pawns that are useless.) i wouldn’t worry about planning out pawn inclinations & optimizing skill builds until you reach the DLC. the game isn’t hard enough to really merit it until then. make sure you play around and experiment with all the vocations! there’s plenty of job points to go around in the campaign, and even if you wind up splitting your arisen’s damage between physical + magical, there are 2 vocations that excel with those stats. minmaxing really isn’t necessary, gear & passive skills matter way more than the couple stat points per level you get.

similarly, anyone hiring my pawn is going to get an unkillable (literally, that staff auto-revives pawns unless they just get yeeted into the rift) beast of a support mage because i’m well into the 2nd loop of the expansion on that save so maybe hold off unless you want to really trivialize a lot of the game

1 Like

The DLC ain’t no joke

1 Like

Dragons Dogma is a messy and obviously unfinished game that hangs together because most of its flaws are either ignorable or charmingly stupid

4 Likes

Bad idea to immediately recruit my friend’s level 32 pawn? I want to play with her character but I don’t want the game trivialized.

I am still finding this game pretty baffling but I’m also enjoying it.

yeah a great way to sum up the charms of DD’s flaws is how it includes a semi-hidden dating subsystem that (if you aren’t trying to game it) winds up pairing you with the dorky innkeeper guy because he’s the NPC you talk to the most

6 Likes

ehh, I like having pawns with monster knowledge though

1 Like

i don’t think a level 32 pawn will totally trivialize things, but a like, lv70+ pawn in DLC gear will. all up to you tho! i really like how the “friend pawns are free to hire” thing provides some flexible difficulty. i love games that let me adjust how challenging they are in ways that feel natural and just part of its systems rather than in a settings menu

3 Likes

Just a jape, friend. just a jape… unless…?

2 Likes

Everybody thinks they’re gonna get the big titty merchant and then you see Feste

4 Likes

i lucked out and got Childhood Friend on my first try but i also maxed out the witch who lives in the woods’ affinity by like, saving her from an angry mob so now they both live in my house

1 Like

wait y’all are getting the innkeeper? I keep getting the guy standing outside the castle who gives me quests before I’m allowed an audience with the king

he just really likes me I guess

1 Like

oh and one other thing I really, really love about the pawn system is that it’s such an organic way to encourage people to be curious about how the inclination systems work

when you start off everyone’s pawns are relatively interchangeable because you either don’t know enough about inclinations and pawn building to make something super unique OR you’re too low level for it to matter

but then as you level up and change out pawns with new, higher level ones, every once in a while you’ll get a pawn that does something that you’ve never really seen before! and it’s not just like, oh this pawn kills everything really well, you’ll notice it using skills in ways that you haven’t seen or behaviors that you don’t understand

so even if it actually is min/maxing it doesn’t feel like you’re doing it to break the game and make it trivial, you’re doing it because you want to see the person you hang out with most of the time do cool shit

like I knew about torpor and rusted daggers and I knew about strider pawns but I didn’t put 2 and 2 together until I just grabbed this random pawn without checking the weapons and went into the final BBI boss and he made that boss so much easier by slowing it down and ever since then if I’m building a strider or ranger pawn I’ll try to at least dragonforge those rusted daggers

fucking love this game I swear

3 Likes

i played dual sorcerers with my pawn for awhile and it was always wicked cool to twincast meteo with him

2 Likes