Impresarios of Mario Scenarios

Now THIS is Mario Making! You should probably turn the last gap in your final staircase into an actual pit, or remove a couple blocks to the left so you can jump back out again. Being forced to manually restart 'cause you missed a jump is kind of unfortunate; if I have to restart, just kill me.

Here’s a tip some folks may not realize: you can create dynamic power-up boxes by putting a Super Mushroom just into your level somewhere and then dragging the “next level” power-up into the same tile, then drag the new combined item into a block. This way the block normally dispenses a Super Mushroom, but if you’re already Super Mario, it dispenses a Fire Flower (or whatever).

ALSO: If y’all haven’t checked out the Tutorial (Yamamura’s Dojo), it’s almost more about course design and the philosophy behind Mario stages than it is strictly a guide to using the interface. I highly recommend it.

2 Likes

Nice catch I made it a pit. Do I need to reupload the level?

My level sat at 0 plays until jsnlxndrlv rated it, then a handful of randos showed up. Seems like you do need someone to vouch for you. Makes sense, but I wonder if they’ll do anything to encourage people to play unrated levels. Also means you should be picky about where you save your creation so you get a marketable screenshot.

1 Like

Yeah, try to pay it forward. My philosophy this time around is to distribute Likes to courses in the New queue to at least match the number of Likes I’ve received before uploading my next course. There may come a point where that stops being realistic, but I’ll keep it up while I can.

I should note that there are articles of clothing awarded specifically for being the first to clear and the first to rate courses.

3 Likes

just wanted to say that this is beautiful

1 Like

Thanks! I really love that new SMB3 tileset!

If you make 1-wide sections it makes purple pipes, but 2-wide is sand.

One thing I somehow forget over and over and over again (but am always happy to rediscover!) is how delightful Mario games are. This one definitely still has it.

Mostly been sticking to the story mode, doing all the side character stages (or all of them that I know of) so far. The last Undodog level is killing me, but I think I can get it. The last frog stage is some really great puzzle work.

Nah, I’m probably just a jerk.

Think I’m gonna make all levels with max time unless speeding is the point.

1 Like

Alright I’m very excited about this level. It should be doable by basically anyone, but it might take some time to figure out! The difficulty is more in the maze than the execution. I mean it’s probably still sort of hard but in a more approachable way hopefully!

Mystery of the Scarlet Sea Ruins
“Can Mario solve the mystery or will he lose himself in the process?”
5PQ-W9M-FFF

9 Likes

uh yeah this was sick too

My Mario Maker ID is 4VG-8QJ-SNG. I have five levels up right now.

My most popular Mario Maker 1 level was Super Haunted Building Inspector. Its ID is now YKL-YPR-VYF. I had to rework pieces of it but I think it is still pretty keen. Please, complete it if you can. It’s truly a course that lets you “inhabit a world”.

Thank you.

21 Likes

Cool levels ITT

My right thumb hurts like hell when playing any Mario on the Switch (and 3ds before) after like 10 minutes. I feel like I’m alone in this?
Something about having to hold down my thumb on that tiny X button forever to run

Why do I always forget this, and why can we still not remap run to a trigger button?

Anyway now I’m trying to only sporadically run while playing Mario instead of running all the time and it’s awful

2 Likes

I made a Mario, its got pipes and chain chomps
9TH-5QN-0PG

5 Likes

I had a friend play test and made some tiny updates to the Mystery of the Scarlet Sea Ruins above. It adds a small hint to make a certain step less of a leap of logic.

New code is 5PQ-W9M-FFF, and I’ve updated my other post with it too.

1 Like

Aaah I love this level. The SMB3 pipe theme looks great!

1 Like

I just uploaded my first MM2 level. I think it’s decent. It’s very short.

YFN-YSK-0HF

2 Likes

I love everyone’s levels! Keep making them because I tried a few from the Top Rated category and was not prepared for it.

What do the footsteps next to the heart (likes) mean?

Here’s my profile. I will be uploading more Maryos.

4 Likes

Footsteps are the number of people that played your level. And then the clear rate is attempts won / total attempts, so you can see how many times people are trying your level on average.

1 Like

Cool level! I think it looks great and flows really well and has nice open spaces. A lot of levels like to limit what you can do and where you can go, and this is a nice contrast!

Also that empty room was great! Not enough empty rooms in Mario Maker.

1 Like