I'd like to thank the Academy

I think 1917 sweeping would be the funniest result.

1 Like

Jojo Rabbit wasn’t nearly as bad as some people made it sound but giving it best picture will instantly make it that bad

1 Like

Willem Defoe was robbed

“Down off the cross” as Italian Americans say

1 Like

As the Oscars are a shit show popularity contest voted by people who have not watched the films (just like a real election) Joker is gonna smoke them (because they got them.) It is without any critical or emotional stakes.

I probably made this same post up thread.

technically…technically…when viewed as selecting individual works from the years popular media, doritos presents the game awards has a more sophisticated artistic palette than the oscars

10 Likes

Had the same thought.

1 Like

The funny thing is, a Japanese title like Sekiro would never win a Game Developers Choice award because western dev tastes are similar enough to western consumer tastes

Sitting at a table and watching the audience reaction to this slate really reinforced my connection to SB culture over the people around me:

like 2 ‘woo!s’ for Dark Souls and a scattered clap! people were singing along to Title Theme of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

3 Likes

What would the reaction be to that exact list today I wonder.

1 Like

adam sandler didn’t get an oscar nomination and he said last year

“If I don’t get it, I’m going to f—ing come back and do one again that is so bad on purpose just to make you all pay,”

so i’m truly praying we get to see what kind of nightmare that adam sandler’s idea of “bad on purpose” is

I’m expecting Joker to get best actor and maybe nothing else.

I can way easier see 1917 getting Picture and Cinematography and literally any of the other Directing nominees over TP

Gerwig is virtually guaranteed Adapted screenplay

Parasite won best screenplay and Laura Dern too this is all that matters so far

But also every pair of presenters has been a dream rom com pairing, in particular Steve Martin/Chris Rock, Keanu/Diane Keaton, and Oscar Isaac/Salma Hayek

Honorable mention to Timothee Chalamet/Natalie Portman

2 Likes

this has been maybe the most “these are all functionally career awards” Oscars yet

and as lousy and inconsistent as that tends to be I think the competition is basically anodyne enough for that to work at this point

at least that’s what I’m telling myself to brace for Joaquin

Ray Romano/Sandra Oh coming out of nowhere with the steal

I like the reinvention of ray romano as a character actor, really couldn’t stand his show but he’s pretty likable when he turns up as who the hell ever

problem is that these italian guys can never just be character actors, they’re always the guy

1 Like

Ray Romano is the opposite Seinfeld in the likeability during/post sitcom category

4 Likes

ray romano has made it incredibly easy to be likable by not going on a “college campuses are just too sensitive now” press tour

1 Like

what an awful, worthless institution

huge respect to bong for only writing two acceptance speeches so he had to spend his third just telling Martin Scorsese how much he likes him

1 Like

happy for bong