I can't believe today was a good play (Games you played today)

yeah, unfortunately it’s not really committed to supporting multiple play styles, the story it has written for you really wants you to be a lawful good mage to experience the most of it

it’s probably the only time I’ve ever seen a lawful good character with a real arc but still

It does give me a bit more compassion for whenever I tried getting my dad to play any video game made after the NES era and he valiantly gave it a shot. If you come up across something that is rather alien to you it turns out it is rather easy to overlook something that others more familiar would consider to be on the obvious side.

Then again I also played through all of ibb & obb as an absurdly tricky single player game before I found out after that it was designed to be co-op and that one controller mode was a goof they cut out of later versions… so perhaps I have some blind spots when it comes to not recognizing when things seem to be much trickier than would make sense.

7 Likes

myst on the 3ds is one of the worst ports i have ever played, it is a complete mess. i was looking forward to portable myst but no

i also played tetris axis which has some fun minigames (and some bad ones) so i might keep it, the marathon mode sucks though because tetris company rules of course

3 Likes

I just want to say that this is amazing and wonderful and I love selectbutton

6 Likes

its one of the most edge of my fucking seat posts ive ever read on here

2 Likes

I am glad that my suffering produced good content :cryingpig:

Seriously though, I want to clarify one things as I wrote that right in the aftermath of all that and that is that I don’t actually blame anyone here or elsewhere for not mentioning that to me beforehand (the person who recommended the game to me felt awful about it and that made me feel bad). It’d be too hard to predict that I’d miss something like that and I should have caught it in the manual or the odd bolted on tutorial messages.

Also… there were only like three or so hard battles in the game even playing this way and at least one of them was gonna be a problem regardless, so while it probably would have spiced up things in a few places it was easy enough to just swarm attack or draw a single enemy away for most encounters that I’d have done that anyways.

I also need to confess that… I do stuff like this sometimes. Too many times really. I feel the need to confess my sins, so in the past I’ve…

• Failed to realize you could just exit out via menu in MGS V without it losing all your progress, so I made sure to leave the map every single time via helicopter which probably added a few hours of dead time to the experience.
  • Forgot in Pikmin that the red ones are resistant to fire and spent multiple attempts trying to toss large groups over flames, none of which were red as I just assumed they were standard ones with no actual abilities of use.
  • Walked past the chimney blocked by a giant fruit in Super Mario Sunshine without ever piecing together that yoshi eats fruit and hence could do something there, resulting in me near 100% completing the rest of the available game wondering why the final area never triggered.
  • Played through all of Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze without ever realizing that the tag team moves actually did anything as I assumed it was a co-op only technique as the time I did it during the tutorial I did it wrong and hence nothing happened.
  • The aforementioned playing through ibb & obb as if it was a single player game and not realizing one could attack pause in Planescape: Torment
  • Played through the opening section of Oblivion on a dying monitor with the brightness way too low, where I assumed the opening underground bit was supposed to take place in complete darkness and I was right to make my way through via just hugging the walls and navigating via occasional bits of light (this made that part better).
  • Too many to list in the first few jrpgs I played.

This is on top of several times where it turns out I beat a game without even realizing a certain technique was in there, forcing my way through either puzzles or boss battles in unplanned for ways rather than abandon a clearly flawed approach and other such misadventures, plus I’m sure other bloopers I am blanking on. I don’t think that I’m dumb (despite all this evidence to the contrary), I just think that… I am stubborn in that if the way I choose to go is working to any degree then it clearly is the right one and I will just bash my head against walls because of it.

I fear that I’ve grown up to be Goofus.

20 Likes

When I played Final Fantasy VII for the first time it was probably a good dozen or so hours before I realized you had to equip materia to use it.

2 Likes

I beat several difficult boss fights in divinity original sin by collecting every movable object possible in surrounding areas and having one character engage the boss in conversation so the rest of the party could trap them and any additional enemies in cages built out of candlesticks and barrels and shit, allowing us to pick them off at our leisure

10 Likes

we need a thread for this.

• My mother returned Super Ghosts and Goblins after not being able to get over the first tall barrier and declaring that the game was “broken.” None of us ever figured out the double jump.
  • I had to restart my entire playthrough of Earthbound because I was underleveled and couldn’t beat any of the enemies in the last bit of the game, which is of course a one-way trip. I played through the entire game a second time with a game genie cheat to be at level 99, and I used fast-forward a lot if I’m being honest, but I still couldn’t beat Giygas…turns out I needed to pray.

I’ll think of more later I’m sure.

4 Likes

Pretty sure we did have a thread for this at some point.

I thought my copy of Soleil was broken because I could only jump when I had fallen into a hole, and didn’t realise I needed to learn the ability. Took me a couple days of bashing my head against the game, then deleting my save and starting over before my sister had a go and just casually threw the sword over some rocks to reveal the waterslide, thus revealing the way forward.

I got to 99/100 skulltulas in Ocarina of time before thinking the game was broken and restarting because I couldn’t find the last one. To be fair, I knew it was supposed to be in Zora’s Domain which is where the only dirt patch is that doesn’t give a skulltula when you drop a bug in it, and the actual location of the spider was high up a wall where you can’t hear it.

1 Like

WHAT

6 Likes

what

5 Likes

…what?

Like what as in how did I miss that, what as in others didn’t know that, or what in that I was told wrong?

EDIT: by “all your progress” I mean since I last landed on the map, not since I started the game. That would just be crazy.

I also remember as a kid playing Iron Tank on the NES for a long time and leaving it paused to go eat a meal and my mom warning me that I might break the Nintendo doing that. Came back, saw a red bar on the screen and worried that I had in fact broke it so I turned it off. When I turned it back on later I realized that red bar was the health bar. I don’t think that one counts though as I was a child and children are allowed to be dumb.

6 Likes

I waited for that helicopter every fucking time

4 Likes

yeah sorry that was my confusion at never having understood that

2 Likes

someone asked me once how to drink potions in diablo

2 Likes

is it this thread?

Yep, I can even see Username posting in there the same stories about Ibb & Obb and Pikmin :mrgreen:

2 Likes

I prefer not to think that I waited for the helicopter, but that I was waiting for Gloria instead…

ah christ i made the thread and forgot i made it

5 Likes