I can't believe today was a good play (Games you played today)

I think SSR is sort of the puzzle game designer’s puzzle game. It’s extremely impressive how many mechanics he squeezes out of the movement system. It feels like Stephen is playing with restraint – showing off how many unique puzzles he can make after introducing only one new facet of the movement per act.

I think it ends up being more tedious because it does this deep dive into the mechanics rather than go for the breadth of an ECT or a Baba. Both those games have way more “oh cool!” moments that propel you along. Not that SSR didn’t have those for me, but they were more limited to once an act, and the rest of my playtime was me cussing at him for forcing me to have new epiphanies every puzzle even when there’s ostensibly nothing new on the screen.

7 Likes

I bet on Duke and beat all the Duke3D.

I really enjoyed a lot of the level design. Playing it with the built in Rewind definitely made it breezy and comfortable because none of the monsters are very interesting. Just like all the magazines said a thousand years ago San Andreas is definitely the highlight level. That was great and definitely cemented the first episode as the strongest.

Even with much much more realistic games the DC episode where you are walking around real buildings killing everything made me uncomfortable.

At one point you come out a cave and there are a bunch of jetpack guys floating far above you casting shadows and it reminded me of Death Stranding and that was cool.

Maybe I will write a long screed about the line “ugh a kiddie ride” embodies this game. It is ultimately about a nerd imagining what if they had the confidence to go to a strip club.

11 Likes

I got one of those Chinese LDK Landscape systems. It’s…OK?

I’m pretty sure it runs more Neo Geo games accurately than NGPC games, which is, uhhhh, odd.

It also doesn’t seem to care for my just dumping romset folders onto it and takes about a minute to load some of the heavier ones.

But hey, it was like $40 and runs Genesis and Game Boy and most Super Nintendo games pretty well, so I’ll take it (to work and probably get a stern talking to if I’m caught with it but hey!)

1 Like

rune factory 4 continues to rule

18j3f64j811k5jpg_zpscssg54sv

plok-4

15 Likes

i just found out you can tame some of the boss monsters so this game triple rules now

I’m going to need more shitty reaction pictures

3 Likes

Quadrupling down, you can ride some of them!

1 Like

Don’t you dare say I’ve never known hurt.

13 Likes

here ya go pal

5 Likes

lol that looks so not actually good it kinda rules

3 Likes

Like even all the sounds are brown note fart noises

I don’t know which game sb gaslighted me into thinking it was bad/good but it must have happened at some point. Tim was always especially good at that actually

1 Like

I love your application of the word “gaslighting” to describe aggressive openmindedness and aesthetic values jujitsu

6 Likes

Yeah I didn’t mean to offend by using that word, just tryna be funny. (maybe it’s a little offensive that I didn’t write gaslit instead?)

It’s clear that there’s always another opinion on one and the same thing, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, etc. sb is smart folks and smart folks can deal well with cognitive dissonance aka holding two conflicting opinions about the same thing. I think that also explains a lot. Plus they just pick up on things that pass by the average button pusher

EDIT: your line describes it better than my paragraph

ok i guess now I’m convinced again

2 Likes

Earnest Evans Rules.

1 Like

I am still convinced Drakengard 2 was a trick.

1 Like

continuing on with hydlide, i finished hydlide 3 and it rules

14 Likes

Maybe but I think Tim’s love of Cavia was sincere. This is something I truly believe. Something I must believe.

1 Like