I can't believe today was a good play (Games you played today)

Wc privateer is like elite in the wing commander setting, its the open world rpg of the series

im sitting here just going “how do i play this, in the literal sense”

i’ve never played an elite kinda game before

I think if you go to the bar on one of the early planets somebody gives you a quest?

Other than that 10 year old me just flew around trading and exploding pirates it ruled

2 Likes

im clicking the buy button and nothing is happening despite me having 2000 credits, goty

im baby

edit: oh im supposed to click the actual item not the buy button. i continue to be baby

edit two: i got blown up by space religious fanatics because i didn’t realize i didn’t have guns. still, i am baby.

edit three: i forgot to arm the lasers and got blown up again.

edit four: i armed my lasers and was immediately destroyed by the planet militia. i am ready to throw my computer in the ocean

7 Likes

The true 90s pc gaming experience

6 Likes

i managed to kill three pirates (?) and then i ended up having nothing that a planet wanted and now im out of money even after selling my lasers

edit: i sold my missiles and managed to get enough money to buy better guns. i took up a mission because i need money

edit two: i completed a mission holy shit. this game rules now

7 Likes

Anodyne 2 comes out in a few days, and I own the first one from some bundle years ago. I never really gave it a fair chance. I bounced off it almost immediately when I first tried it out. I’m giving it another shot now and I don’t know why I didn’t get into it before. It has a lovely atmosphere.

It feels like an indie game you’d download for free in 2005, but the sprite work is pretty original and the writing is better than it needs to be. It’s a Link’s Awakening like, and it takes that game’s dreamy atmosphere to more explicitly surreal places. So far the gameplay is very basic in that pleasant zelda braincandy kind of way. The real reason to hang out with it is the art and music, which is consistently evocative and enjoyable.

1 Like

It’s also trying to be an earthbound riff. It never quite coalesces into anything as deep as I think it wants to be but I loved the imagery and the exploration of Link’s Awakening style jumping mechanics.

1 Like

I am very happy to go along with you on this journey into my childhood

1 Like

wing commander privateer is to this day one of my favorite games of all time, and its great to see someone learn to love the game from a rough start

2 Likes

I love when their cheesy empty-threat voicelines suddenly get interrupted by chunky explosions

2 Likes

YOU’RE ABOUT TO SUCK VOID

[10 seconds later]

I’M GETTING TORN APART

2 Likes

Absolver when asked “How is it?” Might be my longest “I don’t know” ever.

3 Likes

cross posting from Goings on thread because technically i guess i wrote about games i played:

i’ll add some more thoughts, too. the MSX is like what i wished PCs had been as a young child. i.e. a computer that happens to be specifically designed for Japanese videogames.

the PC-FX is probably a waste of money, but it looks like there are at least a few titles for it that are worthwhile.

the actual hardware of the X68000 is beautiful and i want it badly. if i ever have disposable income of the stupid variety, i’m getting one.

the Casio Loopy was very plastic and 90s looking and it looks cheap, but i like it.

10 Likes

if you can’t read japanese, there’s like 4 playable titles for the pcfx i think? maybe one or two more

1 Like

The main thing with the casio loopy is it had a built in sticker printer so you got to make your own stickers with the “games”. It was a girl’s focused console. I bought one for a friend last year.

3 Likes

ahhh interesting. that would add a layer to the fashion shoot thing; i’m guessing you’d be able to print out your finished outfit and photos. cute!

yeah, now i really wish they’d have prepped the area a little better. like if they couldn’t have someone on hand to discuss the computers/consoles, at least have little info placards!

This really was kind of the biggest disappointment for me. Dark Souls is framed to work with two attack buttons but God Hand or fighting games just don’t work on one button with one button to modify your combo tree. Need to have multiple options in reach and the stance switching in neutral required to much dexterity to feel natural. There’s also the hassle of having to get the tools to fill out your kit. What you start with might be enough to get rolling but just doesn’t feel as cohesive as the sets you might see on other players in the starting area.

I’ve seen it’s had some updates since I tried it at launch so I want to see if it’s ironed any wrinkles out.

1 Like

IVE ALWAYS WANTED A CASIO LOOPY i remember party time hexcellent got one but i dunno if shes done anything cool with it yet

she wanted to figure out a way to print out whatever stickers, MAN IMAGINE IF YOU COULD PRINT OUT STICKER SCREENSHOTS OF EVERY GAME AHHHHHH

1 Like

what year did indie developers get into moss? i feel like the austin people got obsessed with moss 3-4 years ago and that spread?

i just remember alea came out (it used a controller made of moss), then everest pipkin started keeping moss and posting about it, and ive seen a few short moss games since then

i wouldnt mind more games about bog people though

2 Likes