how is plummer formed (mario maker)

honestly construction hat red+yellow Mario is so balanced & right that my eye forgets it’s not the canonical outfit every time I see it; they really should just go for it all the time

5 Likes

Bright red blocky Mario always looks wrong to me. It’s not SMW

I do accept their retcon of SMB1’s friction and trampoline physics though. The original stickiness and finickiness didn’t age well

I still don’t really want a switch as I already have a gamevice and a good in home streaming setup and I especially don’t want to throw myself upon the adulating enthusiasm of nintendo’s margins, but this is definitely the closest I’ve come to thinking maybe I’ll get one

… which means they’re probably at most a year out from a hardware revision

1 Like

Do all of the different graphical styles in Mario Maker share the same physics? And if so, what version of mario do they hew the closest to? This is the most surreal aspect of Mario Maker to me, it feels kind of revisionist

1 Like

As has been pointed out already, in the trailer Super Mario 3D World is listed alone under “Extra Game StyleS”. More to be revealed at E3? Secret unlockable after beating story mode? Paid or free DLC?

The most obvious new game to add would probably be SMB2 USA (will it still have character selection?). Go a little wilder and maybe like a 2D-ified version of 64 or Odyssey. Even further beyond and maybe even Wario Land or something. Small lingering hope in me though that maybe they just remove all the limiters and have it be Zelda or Mario Kart Maker add on.

2 Likes

no

Oh that’s good! It’s still kind of weird that they create new graphics for things from later games that didn’t exist in the earlier games though. But it’s nice that changing the style actually does something more than make it look fake 8 bit or whatever

this is the best part

2 Likes

Yeah I mean without some of them the original SMB would probably seem pretty sparse. And i guess if you’re a purist you can just ignore them. It still feels kind of like a breeding ground for false memories though

how long before a level that is an exact recreation of this story course gag but this part is replaced with a mario centipede and how far does it rocket up the charts? i give it a week, and: all the way to the top, baby.

The “desert” theme for SMB1 as featured in the Nintendo Direct stirred something powerful within me.

2 Likes

they have built a déjà vu shinkansen

1 Like

You have been deceived

vs

It’s pretty much all NSMB physics as far as I know.

7 Likes

except with the walljumps explicitly disabled in the other modes so you don’t notice, yeah

daddy is through in this here town

2 Likes

So this is why the half hour I spent with Mario Maker stages at a barcade on a Wii U felt fucking terrible.

I mean, I’m sure I can adjust.

But that is disappointing.

They all have their little control gimmicks intact still, yes. Can’t pick up stuff in SMB1, can toss shells vertically in SMW, spin/flutter jump in SMW/NSMB, etc. Looking into it now it seems like all the games actually have a P-gauge meter like in SMB3 and it’s just not shown in the other game types. (actually maybe not true) The only way you could sort of change the game physics was with the “Weird Mushroom” power-up exclusive to SMB1 that turned you into skinny Mario and gave you Luigi physics.

It will be interesting to see if they’ll let the “Extra” game types like 3D World have different physics though since they seem to be treating them like a separate thing.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of rumors pointing to a new rev out for Christmas this year.

Saw this pointed out: kind of wild that when they first showed it off in 2014 it was:

To then a year later have it be:

There’s probably a good Iwata Asks about this somewhere.

1 Like

The usable editing UI in the 2014 video is the hard part in game design terms of the whole thing. Once they tested it with real players and convinced themselves children could use it, looks like they triaged every Mario mechanic that could easily fit within that template, staffed up the project and put most of them in.

3 Likes