god, i'm so sorry (superhero-comicbook nonsense)

I regretfully must report that Swamp Thing just kinda blandly sucks.

Setting is great, monster effects are great, it’s just, the story and character arcs are so uninteresting. Also cannot believe who they picked as the main villain.

There is one concept I like a lot - that the Swamp Thing can see and communicate with anyone who is taken by the swamp, so he has this kind of swamp purgatory he can visit to talk with vanquished foes.

3 Likes

turns out the Punisher does have a superpower and it’s ripping stickers off in one piece while wearing gloves

8 Likes

8 Likes

Ok so I have not seen the new spider-man movie but

They made a movie where the plot twist is that Mysterio is the real bad guy and made a bunch of illusions. Which is…not a twist. That’s just Mysterio. I guessed the twist from the trailer. Because he’s fucking Mysterio. The movie treats this as a plot twist, not the most expected outcome??

This is utterly baffling to me.

1 Like

It happens pretty early in the movie

I saw it more as a Harvey Dent dramatic irony type thing. The audience is definitely meant to be suspicious even if the characters aren’t.

remember: the audience for superhero movies has never read a single comic in their entire lives

1 Like

Gotcha. That makes more sense. Just all the websites reporting it are talking about it like it’s somehow as big a deal as JK Simmons being back

So a failure of nerd press, not the film itself. That’s good.

Yeah but I cannot believe they don’t do stuff like look at wikis for ‘previews’ of the movies.

And this isn’t some fan favorite but obscure jack Kirby story from the 70s, it’s a pretty significant villain I knew about from a lot of media growing up.

Like people are oblivious but I find it hard to believe that Mysterio is too obscure.

I mean, people acted shocked by the snap, so.

1 Like

Nah homes. Even though geek culture has come to dominate popular culture, I think most geeks continue to overestimate the extent to which normal people care to remember these things. Most people have trouble even telling the banner heroes apart.

2 Likes

You mean Bruce and David? I don’t blame them

7 Likes

okay i will actually say some parts with mysterio are great. therexs a slow switch to him in a hollywood mocap suit and i think it reallys plays with how disappointed people always are when they see set photos nowdays and realize the ninja turtles will be 4 schlubby white guys and cgi monstrosities

3 Likes

like they embraced how simultaneously weird, lame and cool mysterio can be all at once

5 Likes

your heroes are even less real than when they were just in comic books

1 Like

the movie is not perfect, but for me that the one major surreal mysterio mind-fuck scene they managed to fit in was very moving. it was not only the type of thing i never expected to be possible in a movie back when i read comics, but i also felt like in that scene especially it was an even more perfect realization of the potential for mysterio to be an actually interesting villain, when the character often feels like kind of a joke

3 Likes

Still watching this for some reason. Ep 7, Brilliant Disguise, is probably the best ep of the show so far, which means it’s decent overall.

Swamp Thing goes into how “The Green” works, there’s some good drama with the villain, and the Floronic Man stuff is the only non-Thing plot thread I’m interested in at the moment.

There are so, so fucking many plotlines going on in Young Justice right now that there is absolutely zero chance half of these are gonna get resolved in the next six eps. Still find that a bit weird about this show.

Loving how Gar is getting a lot of screentime in these lastest few eps. I’ve always really liked Beast Boy’s voice actor, and I think this is the first time he’s ever gotten his own story arc. I’m absolutely 100% here for it.

Still love Halo a lot. I do wish they did the “Halo gets gruesomely mauled, twists back to normal shape, and goes back to the battle without batting an eye” thing more, because it is so delightful and gently badass for character as sheepish as she.

I want to watch young justice but hard pass on another fucking streaming service. It’s not ever going to be available any other way aside from piracy is it

so weird to hear greg cipes a play serious, dramatic beast boy at the same time as wacky party dude beast boy on teen titans go

kinda cracked up when gar basically built the teen titans and titans tower in all but name and it ended with them calling themselves…“the outsiders”

that entire town with the gender swapped newsboy legion being a bizzare tribute to scooby doo mystery inc including a patrick warburton impression was so weird

the angel and the ape gag was cute

really wonder what the heck hardware and that woman are up to. kind of a weird thing to keep going on in the background with no dialogue

they are really getting into the deepest most obscure dc characters too: jet from new guardians??

i don’t know how anyone would enjoy this without being a dc nerd for like 80% of context but i guess that’s honestly who’s left watching it