Games You Played Today ver.1.22474487139...

check it out

1 Like

Got past the first boss fight in Colt Canyon playing as Alice ‘Fox’.
I stealth killed about 50% of the baddies up until the boss fight to conserve ammo.

Died pretty soon after though. In 2-1 I ran out of regular bullets, and found my heavy round breach gun a bit slow for fighting the quick moving enemies of stage 2.

Found out the new Pocky & Rocky on the Japanese eShop is in full english already so I decided to jump the gun and get it.
I’m finding it weirdly difficult, I’m struggling to progress with it more than I do with like, Legend of Valkyrie or even maybe Mushihimesama. I think it’s due to the small size of the projectiles and the 8-way movement. If there was a way to strafe shoot that would be cool. I also keep forgetting that the dodge is there.
Cool game though, really impressive sprite work. I like wiggling my tanuki butt at all the enemies

5 Likes

this is Rocky’s shot tech

everyone has their own way in which they’re broken, except for Pocky, who exists. I’m a big fan of titty goddess, whose special traits are “cannot fall in pits/water” and “actually has invincibility on her dodge”, also her magatama do contact damage so they effectively encourage you to point blank enemies with her

Overwatch 2: it’s Overwatch, Too

4 Likes

playing forza horizon 5, enjoying my first Car Game since being super obsessed with gran turismo 1-3. the whole aesthetic is off putting and i don’t understand all the cool car friend npcs or this bizarre world that revolves around car stunts. having to gather water samples for science by submerging my 74 celica in a pond, recovering artifacts by ramming them at full speed in a bronco, etc. i came in thinking this was more of a semi-serious sim but i’ve warmed to the ridge racer ass physics because i’m having a lot more fun drifting everywhere than i probably would have if it had met my expectations.

anyway i’m focusing on the important things: blowing all the credits i get on weird old cars, aimlessly driving around to gawk at the scenery, and grinning a lot cuz i forgot i really like these kinds of games sometime

23 Likes

I liked that FH5 had so many garbage cars to play with, because making those feel good to drive was far more satisfying than using any sports car or car you’re supposed to legitimately use.

8 Likes

Finished 13 Sentinels.
Now a post game area (supposedly going on indefinitely) has unlocked. Let’s see how it plays, and if it’s interesting to spend more time with it.

4 Likes

it’s ok

1 Like

By the way, the last battle was great, super tense. Great climax for the story

3 Likes

By the way, what games have a similar combat structure to 13 Sentinels?
Nu Xcom?
Final Fantasy Tactics?

the closest thing would be like, indie tower defense games from the 2000s. 13 sentinels isn’t structurally similar to anything at its budget or polish level; it’s a pretty clever synthesis of a B+ visual novel and a B+ tower defense game with really agreeable production and writing

I don’t really like tower defense in general though you can see a lot of it in how RTS games became MOBAs; on its own it’s basically missing a trick. the good news is that vanillaware agreed and made something nice with it

2 Likes

though positioning final fantasy tactics as a point of comparison is interesting, because I do think strategy games with a strong, (semi-)linear narrative are historically very good, and it’s something that japanese devs have historically been more willing to experiment with because they require a lot of dedicated engine tooling to feel good

4 Likes

Yes, you have a strongly story-based game (like a jrpg) with deeper, much more interesting combat mechanics than a Jrpg

1 Like

you might like wildermyth, which was, I thought, one of the more successful attempts at making a western, XCom style procedurally generated strategy game with a campaign / battle split, but with more of a focus on storytelling

3 Likes

let me stop being glib for a minute and explain why I decided staying up late and not being a responsible adult instead of sleeping for the job I somehow have to play OW Hyper Fighting was a good idea

does OW2, as they’re showing us now, effectively constitute a delayed drop of additions, balance changes and general care and attention the game should have gotten over the past two-odd years since the last time any new content was added? yes, of course, and they’ve been pretty upfront that the “2” part more refers to the PVE portion of the game which lol who cares, god bless Jeff Kaplan for pulling one over on Actiblizz and promising that the PVP changes are free to all OW owners

do the changes actually warrant calling it “2”? well, taking out 2 bodies off the field and making the game 5v5, rebalancing tanks to not be shield bots, killing off 90% of the crowd control effects and the role passives have massively sped up the game and made ultimates more impactful since now you aren’t constantly soaking ult charge off two tanks. instead of fixing the issue of “well, tanks are just DPS but with huge health bars”, tanks have more of a vanguard role instead of being a “tank”. or: hell yeah tanks can fuckin’ hold that W key and make space by through sheer aggression instead of the game being a shield shooting simulator

yeah, playing tank is more stressful now because there’s only one of you but it’s way more fun because now the encounter and skill design is tilted towards pushing the line instead of holding it

also deviant-ass dive comps are fucking back baby (rip low mobility supports)

edit: obviously this goes without saying but if you didn’t cotton to OW to begin with, yeah, no, 2 won’t change your mind, but for us idiots, it’s real good

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice! It’s a great idea. I had backlogged it, but I still had not read too much about it.

is 13 sentinels any good

the switch version is ÂŁ50

it’s very good

1 Like

it’s only £3.85 per sentinel

25 Likes

13 Sentinels is a killer app IMO

4 Likes