Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

It works, but it locks down the whole library so that two parties can’t even play different games from that library at the same time. Which is kind of inconvenient.

1 Like

a thing about steam family sharing is that you have to actually enter your credentials on the pc you want to share with. you can’t just grant access remotely.

unless they changed it.

also keep in mind that some games don’t work. king arthur’s gold and resident evil 5 don’t work, last i checked. gta 4 and 5 don’t work.

1 Like

I was very bad at dark souls 3 as a mercenary, but im doing better as a knight. I have no idea what i should be doing to raise my character, as the game is a lot tougher than demons so i cant do what i did there. tips?

Thanks for the disappointing but unsurprising steamfam infos wurm and meaux

As always raising armor and weapons is always better than gaining levels.

Also if you are PS4 i can maybe help you out.

no plus lol, too expensive

I can’t imagine playing a From game hence where I can’t/don’t go from Deprived to Appalling Hammertank

1 Like

I picked up The Observer during the Steam sale, largely because of Felix’s deranged raving about it when it came out. My girlfriend and I played through the opening sequence in the apartment building and… woah! This game has some truly ace worldbuilding! The play mechanics where you have to scan everything to proceed are kind of confusing and unwieldy, but also original and intriguing. The writing is top notch. I just read a retrofuturistic BBS post about self-treating a deadly bio-digital virus. It really nailed that anarcho-hacker vibe, would fit right in on textfiles.com. Dolph Lundgren’s voice acting is pretty weird and stilted. I’m not sure what he’s going for. Maybe it gets better?

But yes, game totally rules, I’ve never felt this present in a cyberpunk slum before.

how dare you confuse Dolph Lundgren and Rutger Hauer

anyway I’m glad you took the plunge, some of the surreal hacking sequences around the middle of the game are a little overindulgent but if that doesn’t bother you too much the game is otherwise fantastic

Oh no, I seriously goofed that one up! Rutger is so much cooler than Dolph ever was. Although in my defense they pretty much look like exactly the same person.

1 Like

Keep the faith

I soured on Observer because of its thudding metaphors in its dream sequences and flip to intensity and body horror, which wasn’t quite the texture I was looking for – I don’t think it fits the noir or poetic instincts of cyberpunk well. Honestly it ends in a very close thematic and aesthetic place as Soma and I didn’t really want to retread that. but the production quality is fantastic and they have a few good tricks.

I got talos for iPhone so I can play it in the tub

2 Likes

I actually found it substantially different from soma in a lot of the key emotional beats and how the characters intellectualize them in context… I agree they’re two of a kind as far as recent games of this style are concerned (even though observer was much more to my liking in its approach to pacing / scope / hostile NPCs), I should make more of an effort to contrast them sometime…

The themes of dehumanization in Observer are reflected through the main character’s relationship with his family and his role in the world, where Soma uses a stranger in a strange world to pull the player in closer sympathy to his viewpoint (a heavy reliance on voice unfortunately creates more distance, which I think weakens Soma’s player-identification).

Crudely, Observer is outward-facing while Soma is inward-facing even with similar subject matter.

I don’t think I’d find Observer’s late themes and textures discomfiting in its cyberpunk suit if I was onboard with the dream sequences but they made me nearly as angry as Bioshock Infinite and for similar reasons; dumb material presented with craftsmanship, the ultimate straining middlebrow.

3 Likes

gears update

GEARS OF WAR JUDG[E]MENT has zero combat design. and lots of colour. there are some okayish things, i think, like there’s one or two ok new weapons, and the mechanical changes arent necessarily negative. but they introduced a scoring system in the stupidest possible way, i.e. by scaling every single encounter up enough to justify scoring them individually. this leads to things like killing 8 boomers in a single encounter in a small room, and then you turn on the modifier because why wouldnt you, what are you, a chicken who doesnt want the 100% unfiltered experience? and it just gets more irritating most of the time. oh and enemy waves are semi-randomised so if you die the enemies will be totally different when you respawn which can be… less than satisfying

also there are horde bits where you have to set up turrets and stuff. i hate that shit. the bad guy is cool tho. you see him in a single shot until the end, when you kill his mount and then someone else kills him in a cutscene. his name is karn as in carnage. the final fight takes place at the base of the courtroom stairs you see on the title screen. there’s a morgue in the courthouse where dozens of cog tags are hung on a statue. it’s pretty good. also cog tags are the collectable again, which is good. marcus fenix taught me that it’s important to remember the dead and i was perturbed by the fact that gears 2 did not give me the opportunity to.

my knowledge of this game going in was that they had hired a Writer to write it and boy, they hired a shit one. and didn’t hire any designers. it’s not good.

e: there is a bonus chapter made from gears 3 leftovers and it’s night and day. there’s actually level design! it’s nearly entirely good! some of the combat situations are still a little iffy but gd. also strong cop content. cop fountains and cop walls abound.

4 Likes

I have been playing a lot of Getting Over It

it’s…probably one of the best games I’ve played all year? I’ve bought it 3 times somehow (one was for my fiance) and I’ve definitely spent a lot of time on it

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed learning the physics of the hammer and how the different swings and motions work – the last time I could feel myself tangibly getting better at a game in a similar way was Rocket League

it feels a lot like skateboarding but in this one I won’t twist my ankle and not be able to do anything for 2 weeks! I might get carpal tunnel though we’ll see

2 Likes

yesssssssssssssssss

I shudder to think what a bennett foddy VR game would be like

I was talking to manbearcar last night about how I told bennett this would be his hotline miami and he didn’t believe me

1 Like

Yeah, I really like this game a lot, but with my carpal tunnel problems, it is all but unplayable for me, which kinda really sucks. Also, the Skate games are remarkably similar in terms of learning how to do shit, but with way less punishment, but your analogy is good.