Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

My friend made me play a bunch of VR games on his Vive and the best one was this ping pong sim in a brick walled loft apartment that he told me was built with photogrammetry of a real brick walled loft apartment.

Google Earth was pretty good but you can’t push forward / back along the road in street view come on google get your shit together.

1 Like

Actually there’s also the GBA version, Calciobit I think it’s called. It’s JP only, but the 3DS game’s all icons so it should be just fine. I can explain those for you if needed. And if they’re the same~

Dunno the differences. Though it won’t have the neat online mode.

1 Like

I finished Opoona! I think that probably took about 30 hours because I hate myself and kept doing things I didn’t enjoy. That is a game with some cute world ideas and a bunch of terrible design decisions. I’m pretty sure without the padding (the ukelele license side quest literally asks you to practice outside, then go home and sleep, then repeat…FIFTY TIMES. I actually skipped that quest but jesus.) it might be a fifteen hour game. My unbridled curiosity for finding the interesting bits hidden away in mediocre games will eventually kill me.

4 Likes

I beat Kero Blaster the other night and I think it might be a minor masterpiece. Much has already been said about Amaya’s work and I don’t think I could contribute anything new to the conversation but I am always emotionally wrecked by his games for some reason.

This one song made me sad:

6 Likes

Finding myself ready for some corny 3d blastertrek I began a Transformers game from 2010

It is not better than the last corny 3d blastertrek I worked through (Space Marine) but I do like how difficult it hasn’t been this evening

Opoona has one of the best and least mentioned game soundtracks of like the past decade or two

5 Likes

I remember when Kero Blaster was announced many moons ago and I lost my teenage mind. That dude will forever be one of my favorite solo developers

1 Like

Did you…play it again?

@Rudie Only once so far but I’m really looking forward to starting Zangyou Mode soon. I hear there’s some more plot stuff and that makes me super happy.

is space marine at all cool

Space Marine rules. It absolutely gets straight to the heart of the fascistic nihilism that makes 40k cool, has one of the best female characters ever, and has a really great and balanced mechanical hook (it’s a coverless TPS where you have to melee to get your health back).

2 Likes

kero blaster should probably be canonized imo, it’s fuckin beautiful

3 Likes

Looking forward to the SB dreamboat calendar next year.

• ABE VR is about getting dissected
  • Accounting is the funny half of the Stanley Parable team and the Rick & Morty guy goofin’
  • Apollo 11 is as good as your investiture in NASA’s glory days is
  • Audioshield is Audiosurf but punching, made by the Audiosurf folks. That should tell you its strengths and weaknesses. Bonus: it can run directly off Youtube searches
  • BLARP! is a cabbibo game and thus mission-critical like all cabbibo games
  • Brookhaven Experiment is an early monster shooter. Probably outclassed by now
  • Budget Cuts is the best implementation of teleport-style movement (though that’s still probably a dead-end) and the best game about crouching under desks. Demo-only so far
  • Cosmic Trip is by the gaijin who split off from Q-Games after Dylan decided he wanted to spend five years making a free-to-play satire
  • Fantastic Contraption is a wheel/rod/axle building game but limited. By the Northways
  • Google Earth VR is better than Google Maps
  • GORN is #shrugpunk
  • House of the Dying Sun is a cockpit space shooter by people who really, really, love Dune and Homeworld. Really
  • Hover Junkers is a multiplayer team-based shooter about pushing levers in a bounded space, similar to Guns of Icarus. Body-positioning is important
  • Job Simulator is deeply overrated and also not funny
  • L U N E is a cabbibo game and thus mission-critical like all cabbibo games
  • La Peri is another ‘touch things for sound effects’ game but pleasant enough
  • Rez Infinite is required
  • Scanner Sombre is darkness and light, a cave of stars
  • Space Pirate Trainer is limited but solid
  • SUPERHOT is canon
  • theBlu is a museum piece
  • The Lab is Valve’s piece and, unlike Valve pieces, mostly outclassed by other developers. The portal segment is almost assuredly the last gasp of that world
  • Thumper is immeasurably more skin-crawling in VR
  • Tilt Brush is better inebriated
  • Warka Flarka Flim Flam is a cabbibo game and thus mission-critical like all cabbibo games
  • First Contact (Oculus) shamelessly panders but is worth 15 minutes and $0
  • Robo Recall is overcomplicated; a clear sign of an overlarge developer applying its familiar concepts incorrectly to a new medium
  • The Climb is supposedly interesting
  • play around with old game conversions if you’re nausea-tolerant. Doom is excellent if you crank down the brightness
  • There’s a Virtual Boy emulator that worked great on the Oculus DK1 but I can’t get it to work properly on my Vive.
4 Likes

On a whim I cleaned all of the gunk, most of it likely skin, from a PS2 controller’s grooves using a flathead eyeglass/watch screw and it was the most satisfying thing I’ve done that involved a videogame in years

15 Likes

Apart from the smart health regeneration mechanic it’s pretty dull IMO.

That and Opoona (topical!) are the most tedious games SB has recommended me : (

If you’re still in Gears mode you might get something out of it though?

If you wanna just Steam-family-library-share-whatever-it’s-called my copy LMK. Would be good to figure out how that works one day.

Yeah, I do this every now and then with a knife or some stiff paper and it rules. Little grot-ribbons.

Toothpicks

1 Like

Yeeeh I echo this really, though I seem to recall the level design being a little too spacious (good for filling with heaps of orks, not so interesting in their absence)

This TF game has a kind of claustrophobic streak to its maps which I don’t hate at all, but it’s not got anything as immediately mechanically sensible as the combat regen thing

Wouldn’t mind a Space Marine 2 at all

I remember some good times with the TF games by High Moon. They did a respectable job nailing that feeling of choosing between vehicle and bot mode for movement and weapon choices. I should go back and finish those two games.