Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

this is the most perfect phrase ever uttered here

3 Likes

instead of getting work done today im taking excessive breaks to try to catch a gatdam female Salandit

I WANT MY HONRY LIZARD

4 Likes

Obsessively playing Opoona now because it feels like busywork. It has some visually striking moments but these life sim sidequests are fraught with transfers to other departments and thatā€™s not the part of life I want simulated. Also this translation is flawed enough that yes/no choices are frequently mixed up.

The main draw for this so far is how the peaceful utopianism is maintained consistently throughout. Even when bad stuff is happening, it never seems too bad.

Also I think Iā€™m halfway because I just hit the obligatory Actually Religion Is Evil!! point.

5 Likes

im bad at dark souls 3 but it was only 5 dollers

1 Like

i played Euro Truck Simulator 2 a bunch while listening to podcasts. it was really fun until i got trapped forever in the back lot of a garage in Edinburgh, bringing my trucking career to a tragic end

9 Likes

Finally had the guts to try Mushihimesama

Iā€™m so laughably bad at shooters

1 Like

OVIVO is pretty neat, but I feel like ā€œplane-switching platformer where you reverse gravity in lieu of jumpingā€ is a game concept thatā€™s just about been plumbed as far as it can go (and it didnā€™t take too many games to get there).

Iā€™m saying that after playing this one and watching videos of others so maybe Iā€™ll play another and shut my mouth.

2 Likes

gears of war 1 is very good & gears of war 2 is not. what will the rest be like? who knows

i remember thinking 3 was very underwhelming when it came out but now i half expect to prefer it to 2, which is like 3 hours too long and nearly entirely Setpiece Action in dull environments, has too much lore and yet always makes excuses not to Remember the Dead.

whereas 1 has good music, gothic horror vibez, and a sterling commitment to Remembering the Dead (guitar sting) (shoutout though to the two good bits in 2, which are when Cole shows up clutching a dozen cog tags, and when you read a plaque remembering the dead). and general raam is hot

5 Likes

The campaigns have always sucked shit, mp for days though

I was always baffled by the love for 2. Thank you for validating my opinion.

best part of 2

2 Likes

The meat cube should have featured in the games proper.

the entire gears of war series is bad and basically ruined 3rd person shooters for five years

2 Likes

gears rules yā€™all crazy

i played gears 4 this year and it was awesome

7 Likes

So the monster was among us all along.

isnā€™t binary domain the good gears game?

1 Like

It feels good to blow parts off robot friends.

also dog days and vanquish. there were plenty of pretty-good cover shooters at the end of the day.

the first gears has a lot of design crutches and mainstream game design for a couple years after its release was a toilet whether or not that can be attributed to it directly, but it has some fine design in places as far as I can remember. never played the sequels as I never had a 360.

1 Like

Gear is magnificent at holding two sides apart through strong cover and meat mountains, building an ache for violent release, then exploding in close-up mop-up with shotguns and chainsaws.

Their takes on other staple weapons use the same build->release formula; the bow with the long drawback and long countdown after impact, the slow arc and soft thud of grenades, more threatening to man-men attempting to unglue from cover.

I donā€™t think they ever quite got single-player right. The first game was the most stylish and had the broadest exploration of level ideas, but several of those ideas are a slog to go through more than once (bats, the tank levels). The second featured some great trips to one-upsmanship (particularly the giant worm) but in paring back gimmicks, it, like Mass Effect 2 & 3, created long stretches of samey-play, particularly in the underground Locust segment.

Uncharted 1 had a good take on it, lengthening the encounter durations to 4+ waves and committing to new waves from the sides, forcing the player to detach and re-examine the battlefield. This was apparently deemed frustrating and was never re-incorporated into Gears and also largely dropped from later Uncharted games (in favor of scripted pressure elements like helicopters and truck-mounted guns).

I think Gears also had a conflict between the satirists and the sensitive bros; I read the first Gears as a glorious earnest satire of meat brains and bro stereotypes, funnier every time they cried. But Cliffy lives that life and they got more earnest as time went on and better rendering cut down the cartooniness and by Gears 3 it wasnā€™t quite so funny anymore.

8 Likes

I never really liked Gears singleplayer ā€“ definitely not enough to finish it ā€“ but we all had a pretty great bit of times playing Gears 1 multiplayer. That game had a weirdly satisfying feel when you were up against humans!