Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

I put magic in mystery every year! I could tell it was a long term investment from the beginning.

I’m practising for the first PS4 Everybody’s Golf International Tournament. The last patch added this, along with a new course, match play, and most importantly, the ability to sit down. I feel like i might be good enough to make it thru the qualification round, but at the moment no-one seems to know how many people will make it thru to the final round. There are item prizes just for participating tho’.

I took advantage of my delirious stomach flu state to attack Horizon: Zero Dawn. I found it a more immersive world than Mad Max was, which really only speaks for what I like doing in my games. It really needed to not be a movie for roughly 20 minutes before I got to touch the controls. Also what the hell are these loot boxes that only seem to add another layer of clicking about before I collect the resources inside them?

Otherwise it’s pretty. And a decent prototype for a monster hunter-like that isn’t sitting on top of the typical Jurassic park and dragons aesthetic.

1 Like

Played Hiveswap Act 1 because I liked Homestuck. It’s a terrible adventure game, in that it pretty much doesn’t have puzzles. But it was a nice experience because of the charming writing and some of the best adventure game graphics i’ve seen outside the 90s.

I also grabbed Black Desert online. If this game ever actually requires actual player skills in a fight, it could be amazing. The bizzare hybrid of action game and clicker is kind of the best idea i’ve seen for a read mmo. Or at least the most honest about what an MMO actually is. Sure does look pretty, is probably awful but I find myself strangely compelled by it.

2 Likes
11 Likes

6 Likes

That scene when the partner guy leaps from the helicopter, bursts into flames when he gets into the monster radius, chucks the special rounds to Aya and then falls in the water is one of the best directed CGI cutscenes of all time

3 Likes

yeah that was great. and I’m glad he wasn’t dead either despite appearing to be totally engulfed in flames from the cellular level up.

apologies to anyone not into crt emulation but I am now 100 percent committed to this lifestyle

7 Likes

I can’t believe how much I love CRT shaders

I’m debating whether to even allow players to turn them off in one of my hobby projects

9 Likes

i’ve started my i guess now yearly tradition of playing a video game with nasty rude boys obsessing over you, or, as most people like to call it, otome.

Fashioning Little Miss Lonesome’s choices are few and far between, even for a light novel. often you either pick a choice to decide which boy to go after (there are only two) or choose to continue the game or watch a silly ending. it’s art is uh…it’s cute at times but it’s nothing special. it’s writing is okay at best…i guess?? it’s tone is grating at times, esp since it constantly borders on being self aware, and then there are some comments or jokes made that punch down that didn’t need to be made to begin with, like all anime and anime-related accessories. also, it’s obvious what kind of audience it’s for whenever it has to make a pop culture reference. like, very obvious

in other words, it’s not a good game. i don’t have a high bar, especially for a random VN i decided to play, so it says something when i say it’s bad, i think!!!

anyways i still love it though because sometimes you just gotta treat yourself to the most self-indulgent journey. this is my garbage tv. this is my pulp romance novel. these two garbage boys are my mardi gras. i have gone too long without having a hot anime boy to boss around/boss me around and i think it’s high time this is rectified. also the main heroine is relatable enough because she’s tall and wishes she wasn’t. “tall”. she’s like 5’8"!!! grumbles!!!

anyways here’s the best ending i got so far that is uncannily like my own obviously very real and not made up irl wrestling career:

12 Likes

Thank you for this post and for sharing all those screenshots. Now I don’t have to suffer through dozens of hours of worthless skinny boys to live out my pro-wrestling fantasies.

4 Likes

Black Desert Online is a “slice of life” type game. If you approach it like that you can have some fun!

I played and finished Chrono Trigger recently.
It is kind of startling how the story beats and set pieces in Chrono Trigger and Final Final X are - the same.

Seems like Final Fantasy X was a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger, that just didn’t get billed as such.

I’m playing through Sonic Mania as Knuckles and this game is even better than I remember. I guess the patch probably fixed some bugs which means… it’s literally better than I remember.

2 Likes

i’m playing rayman legends and having fun but jesus christ i keep getting scratchcards. every level i beat gives me a virtual scratchcard and finishing a world gives you five scratchcards. every one is a guaranteed win and gives you either coins or new levels or other shit but it’s also exactly the same little manual scratching section and chirpy music cue every time and there’s no way i can find to auto-do them. if you have enough scratchcards left unscratched the game starts flashing messages at you to tell you you have more scratchcards. i’ve sat down and just ploughed through ten virtual scratchcards one after the other playing the same animations and sounds just to get rid of the messages and while knowing i’ll inevitably keep getting more and more. this is one of the weirdest experiences i’ve ever had in my life. it’s like i’m in some ironic purgatory dimension for scratchcard-related crimes.

21 Likes

This is why video games need more robust options menus. I’d turn that shit off the second i got one

I think it’s more that every Square game derives its aesthetics and narrative structure from a relatively narrow pool of genre influences, so a lot of stuff recurs. For example, I think every 90s Square game is heavily influenced by the early Miyazaki films: Nausicaa and especially Laputa. In turn, those films draw a lot from American SF/F (particularly Dune and Star Wars respectively).

2 Likes

ff7 is a game that could only exist in a post-evangelion world

1 Like

Qualified with a -18, the cutoff was -8 so i guess i didn’t need to practice so much.

Cant play Million Onion Hotel on the train look like a sociopath.

9 Likes