Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

have you considered that maybe you’re seeing ghosts??

I haven’t, yet! I actually have only played the PSP games that were sort of a love letter to the history of Ridge Racer. I played Ridge Racer 1 and now am playing Rage Racer, so slowly working my way up! I guess Rage Racer isn’t technically a “blue skies” racer in the vein of Ridge Racer or OutRun. It does come off as a edgier, but I guess when I mentioned blue skies before I sort of meant the overall aesthetic package that the (mainly Japanese) arcade racers of the era sold to you: sort of a fictionalized, imagined Strangereal (yeah!) universe for racing that is not situated in any specific real-world track or location but has a verisimilitude through certain landscapes, architecture or landmarks. And from top to bottom, every part of the package: gameplay, UI design, music was there to immerse you in that world where it’s all about racing.

Once I play more racers of the time as well as modern (GT4 is as modern as I have played, although I have seen footage of many games beyond it) I’ll try to articulate my opinion better.

I am aware of the sublimity of R4’s soundtrack, though.

nah they’re not ghosts. I’ve only had the seeing spirits ability for plot specific parts so far. I think it’s just a matter of the lizard showing up again cause I killed him in what was considered the tutorial. and the pope guy because he’s going to be some big important boss later even though the game let my brother carve his face off after I killed him. but it’s frustrating when it’s supposed to be an ultima like simulation deal, and for the plot immortal pope guy, nobody on the ship explains how or why he even shows up on the ship asleep when you had just killed him back at the port, or acknowledges him escaping later, and for the character I picked to play he’s supposed to have like a feud with this guy, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have even thought much of it. and the game did acknowledge I hadn’t actually killed him yet in some dialogue later.

Biff the Understudy’s rates must be getting too high.

i beat the first boss, and don’t have any desire to continue

1 Like

This is the truest way to Beat The Game

Oh wow the same exact thing happened to me. I was in love with it for that first chapter but then I beat the boss and went “I’m satisfied!” And immediately sold it. It’s a great game! I just don’t need dozens of hours of it.

it’s also really not helped by the fact that the scond chapter starts with “and here’s a totally new map! do everything you just did again!”

(i mean i’m sure it adds new elements and stuff, but i really don’t want to repeat the start up stuff of slowly building a town up from nothing)

1 Like

this was the same issue I had. when I played through the first two chapters I was like, "wow this is definitely a GOTY"
and then I just never picked it up again

1 Like

I finished up the last epilogue mission of Starcraft 2 and oh man is it so so dumb. Will start the nova corps stuff later.

I started playing Vikings: Wolves of Midgard but got stuck on the first boss.

It’s…not very good. I should go back to one of the other diablo-type games I have installed on my desktop instead.

I’m back on LET IT DIE. I seriously think I might be in love with everything going on in this game the more I play it. The PS2 Era Jankiness being brought to the HD crystal clear era. The way the game re-uses textures from earlier areas to save budget but you don’t notice until you’ve run through a thousand areas.

Akira Yamoaka’s sound design is great and I’ve heard some people say it sounds like self parody but there’s no way it’s not intentional.

2 Likes

I got to what I think is the last world and while it shakes things up a bit, it’s still the same sequence of “collect this stuff to build this room, fight these guys and do it again x times before the boss appears.” And I haven’t gotten back to it.

I had the realization last week that the Wii U can play Wii games, which means I am free to mess around with my old Wii without worry. Given access to the whole breadth of homebrew and such available for the thing… well all I really wanted was to be able to play Donkey Kong Country Returns with the classic controller and man, it is nice to be able to do just that. The game doesn’t feel like a revelation or anything so far but it is put together very nicely, and the benefits of… let’s call it a sane control scheme are immediately evident.

1 Like

I had a similar experience when I played the remake on 3DS. It’s way better when you can play it like an actual Donkey Kong game. I don’t think there’s a single genre I can say I prefer w/ motion controls other than minigame mashups like WarioWare and Mario Party

I beat Blaster Master Zero today, it was quite good

2 Likes

I really wish I could play Excite Truck with a joystick : (

I don’t think there is any way around this playing on the Wii itself, but you could probably get reasonably close to this via Dolphin emulation.

I reckon, yeah. I thought about it, but between my computer never seeming to run Dolphin without sounding stressed out, and my Wii being within a metre of my computer (and full of other games), i haven’t bothered.

aw man why, excite truck is one of about 5 motion games that actually works on wii

(excite bots is one of the others)

1 Like