Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

been working on completing gran turismo 1, did an endurance race on a whim last night. it was weird, after 50 laps or so I felt like I didn’t exist and the car was just driving on its own. had to pee really badly the whole time.

8 Likes

I’ve beat 20XX on the normal difficulty now with both characters. I feckin love this game.

Working on getting a sub 28 minute run on normal to get the achievement, and also be in the top 20 for completion time. I had one that probably would have been about 35 minutes (which is way better than my fastest time which is like an hour) but then I died on the second to last level. Oops.

I guess after that it’s weekly and daily runs? There’s not really a leaderboard for the hardest mode except for the weekly and daily challenges.

almost…there…

observer continues to be one of the most visually remarkable games I’ve ever played, this shit is unbelievable

the mindjack sequences do go on a little too long though

I generally can tell if the devs are Japanese for any game I play, but I must admit, Dead Rising got me fooled. It really feels like some mid-tier western studio jank on gamefeel level, not to mention nailing the soullessness of american malls.

although once you play it a bit more, you can sense the japaneseness. still, must be first time where it took me so long to notice.

1 Like

I’m hanging w/ my mom and doing the twitch game, and holy shit Absolver is at 50k right now. More people are watching Absolver than DotA2.

[quote=“Felix, post:967, topic:4375”]
observer
[/quote]I dread the sound that indicates the stealth sequences, but not for the reason the developers intended. I can’t help but think that the game would be better as more of a pure walking simulator, as Layers of Fear was. I found the Layers of Fear DLC tedious for similar reasons, despite being a fan of the base game.

Observer has enough going for it that I’m willing to get through the weaker parts to see what’s coming next. I have one spider puzzle left, which probably means that I am close to the end of the game.

mickey’s speedway usa’s driving model is so fucking much better than dkr’s or mk64’s, it’s amazing. unfortunately there’s a lot less content and the level design is pretty blah

it may also have the best rare soundtrack for n64, though i have a big soft spot for perfect dark’s

check it out:

1 Like

I still haven’t played soma, but even with the proviso that observer tries to stretch out some of its tenser setpieces a little too far and only about half of the puzzle/stealth sequences work, it seems like this is easily the best surrealist spoopy game since PS2-era silent hill, and the environments do a whole bunch of stuff I’ve basically never seen before that would immediately elevate any other game to a strong recommendation, plus the writing is perfectly adequate to carry it.

it being pretty creepy probably limits its appeal a little bit, but as a cutting edge interactive media exhibit or what have you it is extremely robust. it also came as a complete surprise to me in between sonic and rock of ages/absolver next week! what an embarrassment of riches (also a problem for me as I will pretty much check out anything new & critically praised & not in a genre I’m sick of, if it’s under $30)

A little over halfway through Persona 5’s first dungeon, and I’ve already lost all will to continue.

You should play Soma

1 Like

I keep meaning to get it on PS4 sales and missing it

Dangit Felix, you’re making me want to get Observer real bad here… I’m never going to finish my Persona 4 playthrough at this rate.

Also: Play SOMA for goodness sake! It’s not as cool as Silent Hill 2, but it IS as cool as an average-quality Philip K Dick short story. Which is pretty cool, for a videogame.

you can probably wait, it’s selling well enough that I imagine they can motivate a 1080p30 PS4 release down the line after a few patches

then again it’s published by aspyr (who are great, still the best Mac/Linux OpenGL porting shop after more than a decade) so console ports may not be the next priority

anyway this just lends more support to my theory that fully-acted, mid-to-high-budget adventure games are the lowkey biggest success of this generation

EDIT: oh it’s already on PS4 duh. get it

fuuuuuck I swear no one else has even thought to do any of this stuff in UE4

I played Gradius - The Interstallar Assault on the train to work today, and hot damn was that an enjoyable bite-size Gradius.

1 Like

also (I should probably make my own thread for it at this point but whatever) if you’re reading my posts about observer and thinking “hmmmmm, too spoopy for me” I would like to reassure you that it’s more cronenberg than pet sematary; I really don’t enjoy jump/mirror scares and this one earns all of its tension and hasn’t left me with any imagery I’d rather not have.

there are some fantastic reveals and some prolonged scenes of high tension and some extremely alarming music cues but I don’t think being horror-averse is a good reason to miss this one

finished zodiac age. i should make a longer post but i think it’s pretty great and you know i don’t even think it flies that far off the rails in the back half

i also finished trial mode, the last level of which is truly insane. here is a pic of me in trial 100:

7 Likes

Running Doom in VR (not nu-Doom but salt-of-the-earth clay-of-god DOOM) is

a lucid dream of Doom, flying, flying over ultrablue plush carpeting and crumpled gibs

I think I’m going to be playing a bunch more Doom this weekend

6 Likes

this game is extremely polish

1 Like