Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

when we gonna see you at agdq

2 Likes

The true world record imo. Well done!

blaaaaaze it

1 Like

thanks all. iā€™m going to put in a little more work (going to stream right now, actually, stop by) to try and fix up some mistakes, but i had some really good RNG early thatā€™s going to be hard to match.

i agree itā€™s paced well and just a great time, but a bunch of the qte stuff and some weak boss fights toward the end of the game really make it sag. for the most part, though, yeah, re4 owns.

1:00:32

will probably start working on the fast loads WR now, if i can get ahold of a copy of the game

i love this game <3

3 Likes

Anvil style is roughly historically accurate (though usually (usually) the bick was a separate piece on extant historical examples) but itā€™s too big!

2 Likes

That hammer tho :waynestare:

shrug did you learn anything about mental health playing this game, other than the insanity the not quite historical smithing implements drove you to

2 Likes

no but from what Iā€™ve played itā€™s a pretty tasteful treatment of violent-trauma exacerbated psychosis in a historical context?

for, uh, a videogame

like it leans hard into self-mythologization and obsessive pattern making in a sort of familiar way thatā€™s also just a little too rote and mechanical to actually be compelling as a game or narrative

2 Likes

Thatā€™sā€¦ way better than what I expected?

1 Like

yeah against all odds they seem to have actually done a semi-respectable job with the storytelling, itā€™s just that the combat and puzzles are apparently like uncharted-grade pacing devices at best

1 Like

So Polygon GOTY if Breath of The Wild wasnā€™t taking it?

2 Likes

Yeah I havenā€™t gotten too far so thereā€™s still plenty of time for even its strong points to nose dive but it seems like a lot of earnest, thoughtful effort went into integrating the pov of a person suffering from v. specific symptoms of mental illness with the presentation and puzzle (such as it is) design. Not so much effort into making the play independently compelling.

1 Like

I guess tediously scanning an environment for the exact confluence of shadows or branches or boards or parralaxed whatevers that form a rune eventually feels kind of like frayed edges of a manic episode though so hey, maybe they did a great job there, idk. You got me, Ninja Theory! You win! You did it!!!

3 Likes

i posted in the shadow tower thread, but i got a 57:34 in shadow tower, which is the world record across any version, no asterisk involved. i guess if you work hard enough, you can do things you didnā€™t think you were capable of! iā€™ll probably take a break from the game for a bit and then come back with some times for PS2 FDS. thanks for the support everyone

20 Likes

next time youā€™re on the podcast iā€™m going to introduce you as ā€œworld record holder meauxdalā€

just thought you should know

Yeah, so it looks like the went back to being actively middlebrow (for games, so, ya know) from the pure dreck that was DmC, so I guess that is improvement? I mean, from what I remember watching of Enslaved, it wanted to be Uncharted as well, so I guess the lesson is ā€œdonā€™t let Ninja Theory touch your license or else it gets bad fastā€.

Yeah honestly this sounds just fine to me

Finished Dragon Quest III
Started Dragon Quest I

5 Likes