Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

Abzu has upset me with its collectible baubles. I can not have a relaxing underwater holiday if I know I’m missing shit

3 Likes

This is terrible news

honestly same like. it really fucked me up

1 Like

For the past month and a bit, every few days I’ve played Rhythm Doctor… level editor levels, available in their Discord. Working on the level editor seems to have sidelined the devs from their original game release plans, but this is a rather robust set-up they’ve already got so it’s hardly much of a sacrifice. There’s a surprisingly good ratio of quality levels in it all, as there’s something fresh and unique to the whole premise.

I guess I could never get into the whole flow-of-notes standard model of rhythm games because their inputs readily feel disconnected from the song itself, while the more loose rhythm games (e.g. the antecedent Rhythm Doctor) like this directly link visual-audio cues to beats and inputs. The raw emphasis and single button of this seventh (and third) beat model is pretty great for polyrhythm and visual distortion, too, even if a bunch of prospective level makers readily miss the whole iteration (and not quite strictly following a song as a level demands) model this set-up needs.

I should really get around to making a map or three for this when I’m not drowning under myself and still have a chance to guiltlessly do so, I guess. Not that I have much of a curated taste in music.

EDIT: …also, apparently basically nobody who hasn’t played the Rhythm Doctor demo can parse these videos anyway whoooops. I’m kinda curious about this and could do with elucidation from others- “press staggered incoming cues on their seventh beat (or third, after a previous timing cue), after six beats of percussion cues with flucuating tempos and rests” shouldn’t inherently be as bad to parse (if certainly not parse) as what looks like decorative note floods to me in higher level Stepmania / Beatmania / osu / etc songs. Convergent evolution of opacity in rhythm games, I guess?

What do you think about it otherwise? It is like one of three games I want to play.

It’s a Journey spin-off substituting environment exploration, movement joy, and limited social play with blue blue water and wildlife watching. Techno-bits occasionally intrude on a more natural classical ruins & coral environment; they don’t suggest in the same way Journey’s cave ruins do. It can’t approach the apotheosis effect Journey gets.

It feels more like the game you’d expect as a follow-up to Flower; gorgeous, somewhat trite,
Good.

Yeah, it is much more of a Flower than a Journey. I think I liked Flower better than Journey, but Abzu isn’t really on the level of either.

God it may be just about the prettiest game ever at some moments though.

i hated Abzu so much :frowning: i just want a chill swimming sim

It is really pretty, and I think that almost makes it worth a spin. It’s a little tiresome, I wish it were less gamey and more just an interactive diorama. The small puzzles and doodad hunting add nothing of value. They were probably only added to keep stupid gamers from howling about it being a “swimming simulator”.

1 Like

Man, Just Cause 3 would be a really good game if it didn’t keep trying to log into Square’s shitty servers.

agree!

HOPE YOU PLANT BETTER THAN YOU SHOOT

LOVE is a platformer of middling difficulty and I think the real replay value is going to come from speedrunning/1 Life runs

Let me save you all the trouble

Select Button

LOVE is a platformer of middling difficulty and I think the real replay value is going to come from speedrunning/1 Life runs

1 Like

100%
the game is literally split into different levels which seems absurd for this sort of ~experience~

select button

I do what I want

4 Likes

haven’t gotten tacoma because gone home failed to be the kind of walking sim that didn’t make me wish I were reading a book, but have been chipping away at free windows 10 forza now that I’m finally playing it with a controller (I still don’t like racing sims that much but trying to play with keyboard was dumber than I thought despite clearing sanic kart that way) and am starting to poke at long dark story mode, which is very Canadian and pretty alright

regretting my impulse buy of an xbone controller while they were on sale last christmas a lot less in general now that I’ve totally replaced my desktop’s wifi/bluetooth chipset and antenna situation

1 Like

my experience is that there’s some (relatively rare, like maybe once out of ten sessions with the game) times when they just aren’t working well enough and you’re gonna have a bad time if you don’t give up and play something else, but for the most part they’re OK. it’s certainly not new-simcity levels of “why the fuck is this always online” but it is not worth bristling against.

(if you have unreliable internet then it might be a different story, and the number of people for whom this is a problem certainly should’ve been reason enough for them not to do it even so)

Sort of related, I had to bypass Tropico 4’s dumb user/pass dialog that shows up if you’re connected to the Internet. You can spoof that connection by having your hosts file point to 127.0.0.1 for that specific website, which then loads up the game without an issue.

I had some fun with that game but I only got about a fourth into the campaign before I think I saw about 95% of what it has for mechanics. You don’t really have to try to stay in power as a dictator, which is okay if I were looking for a tropical paradise sandbox.

1 Like

The problem is that after I played the game I replayed it in the speedrun mode and beat the highest goal time in my very first attempt. Those were admittedly two fun runs but aside from chasing a few interesting looking achievements that was about all it had to offer.

I think the Square servers are crashing due to people starting it because PsPlus? IDK, I just set my PS4 to be offline and fuck it.