Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

is the swinging good

I need to know

please

1 Like

yes how does the swinging compare to spider-man 2

It looks like thereā€™s a skill tree for the swinging and it might go more in depth as you progress, but so far - really good. If you brush up alongside a building heā€™ll wallrun across it. You can zip with X to quickly change direction, dive by pressing L3 to gain downward momentum and hit X at the peak for upward.

I donā€™t think you can do some of the advanced 2 stuff, like making a web slingshot, but it ainā€™t bad.

Edit: gonna mess with it more after work but I feel like the best thing I can say for it is that it feels pretty natural. Thereā€™s some zipping stuff you can do to certain points (traffic lights, gables, cornerstones, etc.) that I canā€™t reliably pull off, but it might be my weirdo controller to blame.

I regret to inform yā€™all the Persona 5 and 3 dancing games are bad.

Havenā€™t tried P3 yet but I got here. Three? Months after releae Amazon had the 15,000 yen boxset forā€¦6000. I THOUGHT I wanted this for the soundtrack. I heard one song that I thought was from this a month ago and it sounded awesome. The actual songs are meant for adjusting brake handling with a slider. And they are all 3-5 minutes long. Could give karaoke silence counters. Or just 45 seconds of fade out is what I want in my high energy dance game.

Gonna pop in P3D tomorrow and hope to lord it is better.

I never met P5 Gamer girl she is certainly a walking stereotype that doesnā€™t exist outside of the most insufferable Japanese otaku.

Canā€™t wait to have a talk scene with artboy where he compares dancing to painting and I eject the disc so hard it slices a passing roach in half.

6 Likes

P3D is only slightly better because Elizabeth and this is my first exporsure to her Japanese voice which is excellent.

Update: I cannot sell this bundle fast enough.

Last night I tried playing Battlefield 1 and managed to fall through the environment mesh several times. When I played the Battlefield 4 campaign (just the beginning part; I wanted to see their depiction of Shanghai) I clipped through an elevator and fell out of a skyscraper on top of which I was supposed to meet my AI teammates and triggered a checkpoint mid-fall. I quit the campaign. Iā€™m great at breaking games!

1 Like

Spider-Man is definitely one of those games where youā€™re best off playing the story for a few hours before attempting side stuff. Mostly because there isnā€™t any when it drops you into the open world for the first time, and progressively adds more and more.

Anyway, itā€™s incredibly smart that unlocking new costumes lets you unlock the power that suit has independently from it. So if you think Spider-Man Noir looks cheesy as hell (and how!) but want to use its ability with another suit? Sure.

Anyway, I donā€™t think itā€™s gonna set the world on fire as far as the game itself goes. Itā€™s just a game that feels and looks expensive as hell, and is a good ride given that. Still early in, though, so hey, who knows.

Anyway have some Twitter compressed screens.

9 Likes

No, this is just the Battlefield Experience

I still fondly remember the BF3 beta, where DICE had to kill off destructible terrain because it was more often than not a hellish black hole from which the only respite is death

Sadly, BFVā€™s beta has very solid surfaces but continues to tradition of having the ragdolls of dead players doing weird shit (bodies will often be suspended at a point as if on a meat hook going through where the hip and spine connect)

2 Likes

(also the BF4 campaign is bad)

how does the swinging compare to spider-man 2

This game feels much more like a sequel than I would have guessed. They are consciously building off the descendants of 2. You have ā€˜jump at bottom of arc to speed upā€™ and ā€˜zip forward for direction change/accelerationā€™ preserved just how I remember them. Wall-climbing uses similar mappings as before but is more prone to fail, probably due to increased geometric complexity on building surfaces.

It feels very comfortable if you have this baked into your muscle memory, and is fooling me into believing the silver age of open-work city-based superhero games never went away.

this is a feature though

Physics objects in general are ā€˜specialā€™ in the Battlefield series.

1 Like

Ragdoll physics are good!

Ahaha attaching a trailer to a truck is just begging for trouble. I love that theyā€™re crazy enough to say, sure, weā€™ll make it work.

2 Likes

Not only that, but somebody else inside piloting the trailer and interacting with it across netcode.

Beautiful madness

God, the plot to this game is wild.

As you explore these remnants of the human world, you must find a specific artifact that helps each monster understand why humans would create monsters. The Golem finds a clay idol, evidence of humans trying to make humans with their own hands, and feels the despair at their learning they did not create themselves. He learns pity for the humans this way. The Slime finds a book warning of industrial waste, particularly sludge in the ocean, which he really identifies with. He recognizes with horror that the humans created something harmful in order to develop further.

You finally enter the Fantasy Land, a parody of the traditional high fantasy RPG conventions rejected by the rest of the game. You battle against fighters, wizards, and clerics, and you can visit weapon and armor shops, though they donā€™t have anything to sell you. Once a monster in your party decapitates one of these humans (as they do to anything they donā€™t understand), you discover theyā€™re all just robots, part of a LARPing simulation run by a computer for the amusement of the bygone humans. The Minotaur is flabbergasted that humans would enjoy such a thing as a fantasy RPG:

13 Likes

Everything about this game seems fucking rad except playing it, probably

2 Likes

Yeah this looks like pure agony to actually endure:

But the story, world, monsters, and aesthetic rules. There was this bit at the end of the HG101 article that I thought was real good:

Thereā€™s a lot to complain about, but Last Armageddon clearly found an audience. Its sales on MSX2 and PC-88 far exceeded expectations, selling out its initial run on the release day. These sales funded the ports to all the other platforms. This probably isnā€™t that surprising ā€“ it seems like a very easy game to market. And while the game is generally trashed on English-language sites, it is remembered quite fondly on Japanese sites, called a ā€œmasterpieceā€ on a few of them. Clearly understanding the dialogue is key to the gameā€™s appeal, and Japanese players may be more enthusiastic about dungeon crawling, as is clear from the Japanese popularity of Wizardry.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad the legacy of ā€œhitching a car to a tractor and driving in reverse to launch at a million miles an hourā€ from GTA San Andreas lives on.

Dunno how to feel about the Battlefield V beta. Iā€™m bad at FPS games in general, so take this as you will, but it just kinda feels like a meat grinder. Half an hour of ā€œah well at least Iā€™m not in last.ā€

If only everyone still played Titanfall 2, the Perfect FPS :cry:

3 Likes