Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

It’s been long murmured, sometimes stated outright like this on occasion and I’ve been inclined to agree (though I still haven’t played Ghost Babel). Aside from general credits and maybe (?) some stuff documented in MGS2 era, I’ve never come across anything that substantiates his presence a whole lot. Even so the difference post 3 though definitely shows and he must’ve been a good balancer until then.

This seems like an interesting article I’ll have to come back to tomorrow.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120125211117/http://www.hardcoregaming101.net:80/metalgear/agnesskaku.htm

Been playing a mess of stuff, let’s see.

Guacamelee - I guess they added a lot of stuff to the PS4 version? I dunno. The Mexican theme is great, hampered by all the ancient memes. The platforming stuff is OK, until they ramp the realm switching stuff to an almost unreasonable degree. And I hate the combat! Oh well. Almost done with it.

Captain Toad - it’s me, the guy who insists the 3DS is the better handheld over the Switch. Anyway the joke’s on me - the game constantly zooms out and makes Toad microscopic, and those Pixel Toads are occasionally literally just that. Delightful game, otherwise!

Sushi Striker - Eh it’s alright.

Yoku’s Island Express - Maybe I spent too much time playing Pinball Arcade, but there’s a real “you gotta hit the flippers at this exact point if you want to hit this ramp” specificity that I guess is technically more accessible but feels kinda rotten. Cute game and concept, but it’s kinda bad pinball?

3 Likes

well, you’d also have to consider the general franchise fatigue kojima must’ve felt. fukushima’s role is pure speculation since i don’t think there are any interviews that shed more detailed light on his contributions. 4 and 5 are pretty poor outliers all things considered, since they both are supposed to represent a certain wrapup of the overall plot, and thus are inherently more difficult to pull of, not to mention the overall decline of konami in general that began in the xbox 360 / ps3 generation.

1 Like

Been playing Dragon Blaze and getting game overs…on monkey…

1 Like

Spite completion done of Graveyard Keeper. Certainly doesn’t hurt pacing to have 3 out of 6 quest lines gated with a 12 gold purchase! At that point in the game you’re only pulling in maaaaybe a gold piece a week and half that is coming from a very tedious method! Doubling down so when the last quest line requires a minimum 2 week wait after that point and you’re scrambling to find ways to burn stamina so you can make the time go by faster.

Do not buy. It is enough workable content to make it past the refund mark but stumbles heavily afterward.

1 Like

Watched lots of Dirty Pair and got No Man’s Sky so I could zoom around in a red ship. Ignoring the main questline as much as possible so I can load the Lovely Angel up with Copper and Ferrite & zoom to the trading post & give it all away to robots.

3 Likes

Still plugging away at Ys VIII and I need to talk about the dash in the game for a moment. It is basically a diving roll mainly used to avoid attacks or move around the world I believe slightly quicker, but that’s not really important. What is important is that you can do it in mid-air; what is more important is that if you have enough hang time you can do it more than once before you hit the ground. Not only that, but while the first one requires a decent amount of time before you can dive any subsequent mid-air ones fire off much quicker. At some point you get a double jump and…

…Well my personal record is eleven dives in a row before I hit the ground >_>

Also I hit things with my sword sometimes!

9 Likes

I’m making EU4 crash because of a native uprising.

It turns out the game really does not like showing the siege panel of uncolonized land for an army that has 0 people in it. I somehow managed to do this because I was lazy; it was a recently conquered colony from the English in a very isolated spot and I didn’t have anyone nearby to stomp down the uprising. I just abandoned the colony but the natives stuck around taking attrition until they reached 0. Usually they disappear once there’s nothing to be angry about.

Was that the wind?

Also Sunset Invasion but that wasn’t as interesting. This stuff is getting easier, though.

1 Like

I used this to get from the top of that pterodactyl nest all the way to the treasure chest on the ledge on the other side of the dungeon

3 Likes

Man…

My internal dialogue at this moment is wondering how many dives I could get in if I leapt from all the way up there (and also cursing myself as i never got that treasure chest).

I mainly used this to have fun leaping down staircases/steep inclines. You… you are an artist.

Stuff like this is why 3 D games weren’t a mistake

2 Likes

eschatos’ use of the 3d camera is incredible, highly recommended

6 Likes

…What?

1 Like

I bought Sonic Mania Plus today, I’m really digging it so far, except this spider boss sucks!
I missed Knuckles

2 Likes

is anybody playing The Messenger?

no one seems to be talking about it anywhere!

it’s…interesting! i went in not knowing much, but it’s basically (at least?) two different games? i’m on the second now. at first i wasn’t sure i liked the transition, but after spending a few hours with it, i like what it’s doing.

hard to talk about without revealing too much, i guess!

2 Likes

I’m not playing it at the moment but I’ve read about it/heard people talk about it on YouTube. It sounds really cool! It’s definitely one I’ll pick up at some point.

1 Like

I heard it kinda doesn’t respect itself thru dialogue? Does it scratch that shinobi itch?

1 Like

thr dialogue is very hammy. breaks the fourth wall a lot, kind of thing. it’s…fine.

it scratches more of a Ninja Gaiden itch than a Shinobi itch.

1 Like

I was mildly interested from the general Ninja Gaideness and fast action platforming, wasn’t feeling how much sillier it seemed to be. But I caught some hints that it might nicely expand the base gameplay and character in later parts, so yeah I want to check it out.

1 Like

yeah it’s silly in a way that reminds me of the kind of humor of 90s PC games. it makes the overall mood a lot less mysterious than NG or Shinobi. but after a while…it sort of doesn’t matter.

2 Likes