Oh man I cannot see an EWI without thinking about Saturday Morning Slow Jams

2 Likes

i love scott <3

<3 <3 <3

Donā€™t sleep on R-Type Delta too

5 Likes

delta has an eternal soundtrack

3 Likes

Marina and I went to an arcade and freaked out because they had an SFII:CE machine. We got in there and I went to throw a fireball and it dropped right to his feet and started moving rapidly up and down as it traveled

Thatā€™s right, motherfuckers, Rainbow Edition

15 Likes

holy shit

1 Like

quietā€™s character design is still an immense embarrassment though

2 Likes

Yuuuuup. Would have been the typical KOJIMA! woman character design but he also had to make a big deal on twitter about how once you knew why she was like that ā€˜you would feel ashamed of your words & deeds.ā€™

and thatā€™s a totally justified reason to not even open this door. And I take that option for anime Iā€™m told is good but my standards are lower for computer code I suppose

wait no, itā€™s the difference between a medium that is mostly DO versus a medium that is mostly SPEAK. Voice acting has revealed the depthless stupidity behind most games and we can only hope the sound of the human voice is a passing fad

3 Likes

with you in principle but in practice I canā€™t think of the last time I was obliged to overlook it to this extent

1 Like

Kojima should feel bad!

Itā€™s really funny to see the sleazy Japanese computer game hustler in him still alive while he hobnobs with middlebrow western movie stars

1 Like

installing this Victorian-ass mod

6 Likes

Iā€™m finally playing ghost babel and itā€™s clear tomokazu fukushima was responsible for everything politically interesting in the series before the world of mgs devolved into two jackasses disagreeing over whether PMCs or chat rooms would unite the world and any weirdness was reduced down to nanomachines and hypnotism and all anti-american sentiment was scrubbed out and replaced with vague bullshit about AIā€™s and cypher

6 Likes

yeah the most I can say about V in that department is that itā€™s scoped well and works thematically and doesnā€™t get in its own way very much, which is an improvement on everything else since 3 but still isnā€™t at all what it used to be

Absolutely this. Every MG game he worked on was excellent, and then when he left, the mooring lines snapped and the series drifted out to sea.

Kojima was important to getting the look and the direction right, but itā€™s become pretty clear ever since 4 that Fukushima was what was keeping it grounded in its quasi-realistic low-cypherpunk technomilitary roots

2 Likes

and even though it turns out Kojima canā€™t really do dialogue or politics on his own, the gentle slapstick tone is better in V than itā€™s been in a while at least

1 Like

Man, Ghost Babel is great.