Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

i played JC3, im not sure any other open world map cleaning has been so satisfying.

yeah!!!

Super Star Path tasks you with clearing waves of stationary (though scrolling slowly toward you) aliens in a variety of different colors. Adjacent aliens of the same color will explode in chains, but adjacent aliens of different colors along the X/Y axis become crystallized and indestructible. Sprinkled among these are semi-hidden aliens that are the same colors but look slightly different, and these hold one of 3 collectible upgrade points in each level. There are also 3 black aliens that hold an emerald, and your mission is to collect these.

All defeated enemies drop little gems that you collect which you can cash in to buy new ships which have special properties that either make it easier to navigate the waves or have immunity to certain damage types, etc. All of these ships can be upgraded beyond their base stats.

After you make your way through the oncoming horde, you face a more traditional shmup boss of middling challenge. Iā€™m not terribly good at shmups and have been able to clear them without much trouble.

The gameā€™s got an appropriately hammy presentation complete with stilted/cheesy dialogue (which gets a little repetitive but itā€™s fairly low key so itā€™s easy to ignore after the first few times lines are delivered). Itā€™s also got a groovy soundtrack that I enjoy.

If you click through to YouTube there are helpful time stamps in the video description for skipping around to different tracks.

Overall this is an enjoyable little snack of a game.

3 Likes

Hyper Lighter Drifter is exactly the game Felic and @Father.Torque said it was.

I am so usually in favor of a minimalist and environmental story telling and yet here it is too little. I donā€™t know how much more I would need to be satisfied or dissatisfied in a different way.

yeah, exactly what @Mr_Mechanical said

Yes my friend. Hell yes.

It was juuuust on the line for me. Anything less and I would have bailed. Like I got bored of Titan Souls because traipsing around that overworld didnā€™t offer anything. Iā€™d have preferred a straight march from boss room to boss room. What was there just frustrated me because it felt incomplete.

Canā€™t speak to Hyper Light Drifter, but this is my experience with Titan Souls. I was digging the boss encounters, but the whole spend-ten-minutes(exaggeration-in-the-overworld-walking-up-stairs for every ten seconds I spent looking at the boss and trying to figure out what its pattern is/weakness might be was too dull to justify the time I was spending with it. Would play a straight-up boss rush mode.

Meanwhile, Iā€™ve been enjoying Magikarp Jump maybe more than I should?

Itā€™s silly and has a whole bunch of design stuff I typically hate (deliberately capping potential progress by fixing hard limits on your current playthrough /generation so you have to get to the next one to progressā€“basically a rearranged clicker/idle game), but it coasts on the goofy, stupid charm of Magikarp. In a lot of ways, itā€™s a reskin of SelectButtonā€™s Mola Mola, but that gameā€™s smirking silliness and slightly dark sense of humor is pretty attractive too. Iā€™m playing them both simultaneously, actually.

Magikarp patterns are weirdly exciting. Also has me want to resurrect the koi breeding game I drew up a few years back.

Also, your Magikarp can die in this game and can be eaten by Pidgeotto. Daring.

yeah Iā€™m going back through HLD myself and itā€™s not quite the experience I had the first time :frowning:

every once in a while Iā€™ll come across a section of a level where Iā€™ll just stop and look and itā€™ll be beautiful and stuff, but I think the high of playing the first time just pushed it over that line that rudie talked about, whereas now the game is slightly under it

ONE of these days Iā€™m gonna start a thread/stream dedicated to going through all the Classicvanias/likes, and Iā€™ll run out of energy after two at most.

Team up with other SBers and make it an Olympic torch run!

5 Likes

I think @Galadrome would be great for this

I lost my first match to someone named JebBushV

13 Likes

I have had about 2 hours to play games in the past few weeks. Work has been brutal. Picked up Tekken 7 and it is pretty Tekkeny. I like it. Donā€™t like the 7 frames of input lag though.

I finally played Shantae: Half-Genie Hero through the first stage. I kickstarted this game back in like 2013 or whatever. I am basically embarrassed to play it. I donā€™t know why I keep coming back to this series, since I havenā€™t ever actually liked playing them and I think theyā€™re all basically the same? I think itā€™s because I really wanted to get my hands on the Game Boy Color version in 2002 and was frustrated I could never find it so Iā€™m trying to go back in time and fix that.

For those same reasons, Iā€™ll probably end up trying it again. Iā€™ll never learn.

I do seem to remember thinking there was like one dungeon in the DS game that was interesting.

Also the gameā€™s 3d backgrounds look weird to me.

Iā€™ve been playing this too on Switch, right after having finished the 3DS game. Seems pretty decent to me although the new aesthetic kind of makes it look like a flash or ipad game at times.

It seems like more of a straightforward platformer rather than a metroidvania type game this time around, which fixes the problem of the previous game which made you go back and forth across straight line levels trying to find where to go next, but instead you are now replaying levels over and over finding secret areas. Lucky you can skip areas using a magic spell.

Disappointingly, the animal transformations feel like a step back from the pirate abilities of the previous game since you are mostly just using them to do a specific action like break a rock and then immediately transforming back since they are too restrictive to tranverse the levels with

Part of the thing is how many of them there are, which might have had something to do with them having votes for which forms would be in being a kickstarter thing IIRC. For instance I feel like monkey sticking to walls and spider sticking to ceilings could just be combined and let one thing do both, to me preferably spider since monkeyā€™s been done in prior games anyway. Thereā€™s also the fact that some forms do get attacks but you have to pick up those later in other areas.

I finally got around to playing the re-released Turok, having only played a demo of the orginal PC release back when. Good fun, and the jumps arenā€™t quite as bad as I recall overall, though there are some right irritating ones here and there. Levels kind of get messy when they go indoor too.

Is this one of the most useful pistols in a straight action FPS? I got a shitload of use out of it until maybe the last two stages which see a noticeable difficulty spike with tougher enemies, though the harder difficulties buff enemy HP which reduces the utility there as well. It isnā€™t technically a starter weapon in this case, though you can get one so soon it basically is anyway.

Other weapon issues seem to be they went for quantity but maybe not balance? Like the auto shotgun obsoletes the normal one completely, and the upper tier energy cell using weapons seem like a mess, they look and sound cool and are flashy as hell, but the results donā€™t seem to be worth it. When I want to hurt shirt real good grenades and rockets seem to do best, and the pulse rifle is the only energy cell gun that I put in to any regular use.

1 Like

Duke Nukem 3D had a hitscan pistol with generous auto-aim andā€¦infinite distance Iā€™d like to say. And because of how the engine worked, you didnā€™t even need to see them on the vertical plane as long as they were in front of you and line of sight wasnā€™t blocked.

1 Like

Yeah, Duke 3Dā€™s is another good pistol, though itā€™s still a bit of a specific utility thing, good for popping turrets and long range stuff because itā€™s really accurate plus it has its own ammo.

But Iā€™m basically using Turokā€™s as my go to weapon a whole damn lot, it drops most dudes in 1-2 shots, with slightly tougher skull faced dudes taking 2-4. It also doesnā€™t help that the assault rifle it shares ammo with always fire three shot bursts rather than allowing the control to fire less when thatā€™s all you need. Itā€™s mainly the late game green dudes and robot dudes that can eat enough bullets that make it no longer with it. Most other guns until that point I just use for taking down dinos and such.

beat last guardian. beat wolfenstein the new order. still working on persona 3, also started pokemon yellow. just trying to stay distracted from life.

2 Likes