Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

Anyone who appreciates Metroid II for its aesthetic intent should play Rain World. There’s nothing broken enough to diminish the hostility and intimidatingly branching map.

Ok, the obscured farming mechanic is pretty gross. But Metroid NES had that problem too.

1 Like

I started Rain World and stopped for no particular reason beyond ‘ah, this is going to call for an investment of time i don’t really have at the minute’

Instead I completed Tomb Raider Go on train journeys over the last fortnight

Come the revolution there will be the bandwidth to be entertained again

I just played through this. It’s very clever.

1 Like

Just played through this, was brilliant
Altering mechanical logic and winstates is pretty fucking great as far as puzzle objectives go

Reminds me a lot of Typoman

Just finished Killer is Dead, not quite sure what everyone was flipping out about upon release. It’s a fine 7-hour chunk of stock Grasshopper weirdness. We should’ve been thankful for what we had because it’s clear now Suda’s games are more appealing as laptop stickers than they are as actual games.

vanquish fuckin’ rules

I got the bad ending in Silent Hill and I am kind of beating myself up about it

1 Like

Clustertruck is super fun, and every time a new level hit me with some dickish “gotcha” that I couldn’t predict the first time I just kind of chuckled. I wasn’t even mad!

The music is terrible, kill it and play your own, whatever you think would be the best soundtrack for jumping from truck to truck in an abstracted lowpoly world.

pac-land is such a tiring game! it’s like they saw track and field and thought “what if this had really long stages full of platforms, enemies and pitfalls?”

I feel like there’s a whole genre of fun cheapo game jam games like this I’m missing out on because I fundamentally don’t like first person movement quite that much

I just revisited vanquish and hated it lets fight.

Maybe playyng with a mouse would fix half the problems though.

Many of the problems with first person jumping mechanics are present and accounted for but the nature of the game itself really goes a long way to making it more palatable.

don’t forget to play Original Mode, an original game in Mercs by Capcom reprogrammed by Sega

it’s actually good and probably preferable to playing Arcade Mode in this day and age of the original arcade game being widely available in various states of legality

i entered final fantasy v four job fiesta, it officially got underway today

when i signed up i shrugged and went Chaos(gives you jobs from any crystal, even ones you don’t have unlocked yet, so you can’t use them until you unlock them) and Berserker Risk, without thinking too much about this.

first job was chemist. i was like, score, i just won the run. too bad it’s an earth job, so i can’t actually use it until i get to there.

second and third jobs were berserker.

so i have four berserkers until earth crystal.

i have made a grave mistake.

by the way i hear the average level to beat sandworm with this party is mid-40s.

most runs beat the game at like 35-ish.

oh boy

2 Likes

Yagamoth has 3/4 zerks in his current fiesta run (remaining one wind Ranger). I think someone donated generously to the berzerker incentive so all the early runners are getting slammed with it.

i would love to swap someone for a ranger so bad

way of the samurai is so good

it should be on the list of “forward-thinking games that were smartly developed with the PS2’s limitations in mind” more often

it also holds up way better than dragon quarter in terms of quasi-roguelikes

3 Likes

You can with the ~Job Fair~, up to and including just switching directly to the job of your choice.

A couple SA guys are to blame for watering the Berserker tree heavily this year. #Risk during Chaos runs is nearly guaranteed to give you 2 Berserkers and I know a couple that are dealing with Quadzerkers through every crystal.

I did The Run early to get someone else to donate and I’m doing a Normal run now because I haven’t touched FFV in years.

please share more! I owned that game at one point but didn’t get much out of it and would love to hear more of what’s in it you’re stoked on

I just love how rich the systems are given how narrowly it steers you through them, and the hangoutitude is so strong given that, and the branching paths are actually interesting and the combat is decent and the character models are all pretty good and so on. it’s like if the bouncer was good

1 Like