Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

Australian

Oh damn

I played pump with a new friend today. He approached me at work, and we talked, and I asked him out, and then we spent an evening playing games and chatting, and now weā€™re friends! Yay for ā€œsocial gamingā€

4 Likes

More Way of the Samurai 3 stuff:
Cat interactions discovered, I got a job where I had to get something from a guard post so I hired a cat with dried fish to get it for me.
You can actually leave at the very beginning of the game depending on what you do, itā€™s a non ending sort of leaving but still neat that you can do it, and also provides an easy means of farming points which are used to unlock stuff perhaps most notably the upper difficulty levels.

The hardest difficulty being Instant Kill which works exactly the way it says and is amazing, one hit from a weapon is all it takes for anyone to drop. Makes some things easier actually, like jobs to take out somebody in many instances means you can run up and cut them down (or knock them out depending on your disposition and the job requirements) before they know whatā€™s happening, but once a fight starts shit gets tense.

Makes group battles very harrowing, while everybody is nice and honorable enough to only fight one on one and wait their turn, you really have to watch your placement both in regards to your immediate target and their allies, since as soon as you defeat your current opponent if somebody else is right near you they may attack before you can really respond, especially if youā€™re in the middle of a group and canā€™t be sure which direction the next opponent is coming from. The mode really should have been available from the start IMO.

8 Likes

Damn, shit.

hope thereā€™s a new wots someday

Trying to get through Detroit and, regardless of its wobbly qualities

Find myself a sucker for the sort of things it it does at the main menu.

ā€œMs. Calming Serenityā€ as I will call her, like a more angelic version of Talulah Riley welcoming people to Westworld, casts her gaze out toward whomever might be playing, with concerned looks, comments, questions and compliments. I was once asked to take a sudden survey, obviously with questions that relate to every day or near future matters in AI and technology. Thereā€™s probably a good few games that have this kind of questioning built in, but my only example atm is Catherineā€™s. Iā€™m very intrigued with world stats on personal takes in this medium.

She went on to matter of fact share a MLK quote, another time mention the Underground Railroad, both served as tidbits trivia. As Iā€™ve left her in the background sheā€™s cycling through plenty, mostly light fare.

Itā€™s not like, stuff that makes me write everything else off, just protruding hamhands

Of course itā€™s pretty. I didnā€™t know Lance Henriksen was involved so thatā€™s alrightly neat.

2 Likes

iā€™m 40 seasons into six ages and have undoubtedly ruined myself and my chances at a decent ending numerous times. it seems slightly shorter/less substantial than kodp so far, but according to the devs it has a longer word count, so iā€™ve probably just missed more stuff, which is cool.

the most immediately noticeable change is that farming is no longer a separate activivity ā€“ it is subsumed under magic and so is less directly manipulable.

4 Likes

hi t

7 Likes

I played through half of Dog Days with a friend that had not played Dog Days and then it froze halfway through! Oh no.

8 years later Dog Days is still incredible. Itā€™s fucked I hate it.

8 Likes

Was it your PS3 we were playing on at sbcon? That one started freezing up too after a while

I beat that Gears of War 4 game over the weekend and I was left wanting more, as is usually the case with the Gears series. Itā€™s almost like after I beat one of these things that I immediately forget that I didnā€™t have as good of a time as I thought I would.

This series has tricked me more than any other modern franchise I can think of. I always start out super hyped but then I just end up nonplussed somehow. 4 might be the best game so far because the only thing Gears ever has done well is be a visual spectacle, and on a 55-inch 4k TV this game really pops. Iā€™d caution anyone who plans to play it, not to play it on inferior technology because it doesnā€™t make sense to do so.

The game literally fizzles out towards the end with NPC dialogue along the lines of ā€œoh boy, I hope another locust horde doesnā€™t pop out of nowhere and attack usā€ ironically; which is sad because theyā€™ve indicated to the audience that they canā€™t do better.

Some of the environments approach cosmic horror, which is cool, but the gunplay doesnā€™t feel essential; they still havenā€™t managed to make more than 2 interesting guns and the game is essentially the logical extension of whack-a-mole and space invaders.

I donā€™t know what the way forward is for Gears. Maybe they already made it and itā€™s called Vanquish. Maybe itā€™s completely exhausted itself. Maybe they should license out the characters to Firaxis and make an X-COM clone with Marcus Phoenix and the boys; maybe I should stop playing theseā€¦

fuck it, is the one that Tom Bissell wrote any good? Please tell me itā€™s good, itā€™s the only one I havenā€™t played yet.

no that was mine

1 Like

thatā€™s just dog days

2 Likes

hey SB Iā€™m playing a real honest to god video game these days

its called DIVINITY ORIGINAL SIN and Iā€™m like 4 years late but this game rules

6 Likes

Borrowed Dying Light from work, competent, but nothing special.

I hear thereā€™s a sequel, so good for you!

and in three years Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll enjoy it a great deal

1 Like

Iā€™m bad at Sonic Mania Plus

1 Like

judgement is awful, donā€™t bother. and not interestingly so either. i posted my impressions on it a while back