Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

If I have a computer powerful enough to run VR, AND a PS4, which VR device should I consider if I want to play Superhot?

Oh man I didnā€™t realize you could get twitch too and thatā€™s all four corners!! You beat me!

1 Like

I played it for a little while on my buddyā€™s Vive and it was fun, yeah. Had some trouble getting stuff to release from our hands during the throwing actions, not sure if that was just a controller bug or if we were doing it wrong. Iā€™ll get it eventually for sure.

right now almost all the good titles (with the exception of toys like Google Earth and Tilt Brush which are extremely neat, and cool-but-hard-to-get-into stuff like Echo Arena) are on PSVR before Oculus/Vive. Also, despite being technically below the common minimum VR spec, PSVR by all accounts does a very good job with frame interpolation and all that to run smoothly, and the PSVR is more comfortable than all but a few of the Windows Mixed Reality headsets imo (and those can be quite fussy about setup and compatibility shims though Iā€™m very happy with mine).

So while VR should theoretically benefit hugely from being on a more open platform, and PSVR should be a poorer experience on paper, in practice itā€™s a fine choice, and I might even lean that way unless you have a very good (Pascal) GPU and/or are really excited to experiment with all of the weirder smaller VR applications.

Sort of a microcosm of how the PS4 has remained such a sensible option for most of the time itā€™s been on the market considering GPU prices and all of that. You almost certainly wonā€™t be unhappy with a PC headset but Sony makes a very decent consumer product.

1 Like

psvrā€™s dependency on the one front-facing camera as its ā€œsensorā€ sort of limits it in ways I probably wouldnā€™t have noticed/appreciated if I hadnā€™t experienced @BustedAstromechā€™s vive first, though.

Superhot is very playable on it. Throwing is terrible until it clicks, then itā€™s a cinch. I think BA said throwing is best on an Oculus controller?

1 Like

Iā€™ll say that PSVR is probably the most comfortable headset at least for me

I can only speak for the oculus in any significant sense (because I work for a company making oculus games) but both them and the vive have the kind of thing where the headset is this big thing and itā€™s only held to your head via straps, which can get pretty uncomfortable if youā€™re wearing it for a while, since there are a few concentrated pressure points that can mess you up

PSVR is a little bit more like a helmet that you put on the top of your head and the headset then kind of just rests in front of you without touching your face, which helps a lot

1 Like

the Windows MR headsets also only have front facing cameras (which was I think the main thing that made them so much cheaper than the Vive initially) and I havenā€™t really noticed any fidelity issues (though I couldnā€™t get Astromechā€™s Vive on without being afraid Iā€™d bend my glasses and I didnā€™t have contacts on me so I donā€™t have a point of comparison).

Windows MR: if you already have a fancy computer and donā€™t mind compatibility shims, itā€™s more or less the best option in terms of cost and comfort (Felix choice)

Vive: technically the most deluxe option, and less fiddly once itā€™s wired up in your house, but doesnā€™t compare well on cost or comfort

PSVR: thereā€™s very little wrong with it and itā€™s the only product that doesnā€™t carry the expectation that you will spend a bunch of money or jump through weird PC gaming hoops

Oculus: John Carmack committed corporate espionage to boost the profile of a boy fascist so Facebook could put a camera in your house

4 Likes

Iā€™d definitely say the discomfort of the Vive is enough that I use it less than if it was as nice as PSVR. And HTC has been slow with price drops and getting grip-style controllers next to Oculus, in effect wasting their early advantage in true hand movement and positional tracking.

I think thereā€™s a nice big library of VR titles on Steam you wonā€™t find on PSVR but I have little experience with the tradeoffs involved, I think the above folks have better comparison points.

Thanks for all the advice on this! The PSVR seems like a much better option than Iā€™d anticipated. I wonder if weā€™re likely to get a next generation of VR headsets any time soon though, maybe itā€™s worth holding out.

Itā€™s actually not that likely ā€“ the extreme high bandwidth short range wireless technology that would be needed to replace a cable carrying a 1440p90 signal sort of exists but isnā€™t being put too rapidly toward consumer use cases, the resolution on the headsets is basically high enough, and I donā€™t think thereā€™s going to be any major difference in baseline graphical complexity until the PS5 unless Valveā€™s new controllers are a massive hit. I had been waiting too but I think itā€™s at the point where if there are like, at least two pieces of software youā€™re excited about and you can afford it, itā€™s not a bad idea to buy

1 Like

I got a PSVR and tried playing Dirt Rally oh no barfsville instant spinny head. Baby steps. Also I am on a bunch of Dayquill maybe this is not the best idea.

I beat Fatal Frame II on Xbox in FPS mode last night which is apparently the best possible Fatal Frame experience. The ending really sucked a lot of ways & kind of soured me on the whole thing.

First of all it was bad in the sense that there was no real dramatic payoff, there was a really weak chapter 8 and then suddenly it was over. We had already learned the whole backstory of the village by that time so it was just a matter of actually seeing the scary stuff with your own eyes. It was way creepier to read about that stuff in the books you pick up.

I mean the whole game was kind of bullshit but having to do real Videogame Stuff reminded me of stuff I would have to do in a nightmare. ā€œI had a dream last night where I had to take a photo of a glowing door, which would turn into a picture showing somewhere else, then go to that place and do something, and then the door would unlock.ā€ So that was kind of entertaining for a while.

And then the actual content of the ending is giving me this really gross feeling that I canā€™t shake off even today. A weird mix of feeling what I guess Iā€™m actually supposed to feel (which I donā€™t like feeling btw) and feeling totally ripped off because they just kind of mishandled a lot of things about it. Apparently the ending I got is Canon and I looked up the other endings and they sound worse to me even though they are happier. I just want to erase the whole thing from my brain

6 Likes

Fatal Frame IIā€™s plot shouldnā€™t seem so hazy, as I just played through it again 4-5 years back. I mean I remember the gist of the ritual, the twins, white haired boy(s?), and some of the village ghosts. The screaming darkness girl is a standout maybe best encounter. Yeah I remember the final chapter or two being a bit underwhelming.

But what youā€™re referring to I canā€™t recall, just that they were predominantly bad ends. Maybe youā€™ll forget too

Whoā€™s the screaming darkness girl? I wasnā€™t checking the encounter names

Iā€™m trying to write this post on what exactly rubbed me the wrong way about the ending. I will just say again the idea behind it had potential but the details and circumstances surrounding it, like in terms of good fiction writing, were just vague and/or lame.

Let me summarize the canon ending:

You kill your twin sister, the only other human NPC in the game. The twin is possessed by a ghost, who, in life, for some unexplored reason, wanted nothing more than to be ritually murdered by her twin sister, which I guess is supposed to be you. But itā€™s not like you were possessed. Why did you suddenly strangle your real human sister, in real life, in real time? Were you just caught up in the moment? The whole thing happens in a cutscene. The ghost thanks you for killing her and early 2000s anime ending theme music starts playing.

I was just kind of bewildered and sad. That was like the only other human in the game, and I spent the whole time trying to protect and save her from the ghosts. I had to watch myself kill her in a cutscene. We didnā€™t even really get to see her personality because she got possessed like one minute into the game. How did she feel about all this? We hear her voice thanking you for killing her, not the ghostā€™s. Does the ghost just use her voice? Was she still possessed, even as she herself became a ghost? Did her real self also want to be killed by her real sister, in a remarkable coincidence? I donā€™t know which is creepier, and I donā€™t think either way would be creepy in an intentional way. I think I was supposed to accept everything at face value, they just kind of blurred the line between real sister and ghost sister as much as they wanted and rolled with it.

Like I said, Iā€™m totally OK with the idea of a really fucked up ending like that, after all it is a horror game, but it only fucked me up like halfway and not in a good way, I need to be completely fucked up to be satisfied with a story like that in the end. The pieces were just not in place dramatically to pull something off like that with grace.

Ah yeah. I think i was disappointed mechanically but the music started and I burst out laughing. That did nothing to stop me from being impressed with the circular micro-level design.

I mean Japanese horror is all about a ghost just wanting to kill everyone.

the falling woman encounter in FF2 is great.

personally, never understood why FF2 is everyoneā€™s favorite of the series, i always thought 1st and 3rd are superior to it.

crimson butterfly is a sick subtitle

I only played the Wii remake of Crimson Butterfly, not sure whether that is better or worse than the original. I thought it was pretty great though. I think the final areas of these games are just terrible in general though, one hit kill bosses at the end of a long, slow jog down a corridor.

I hope the Switch gets a new game in the series, even though apparently the last one was a bit crap. Although it does feel a little like they benefit more from being in standard def, the fuzziness kind of adds to the atmosphere by obscuring things slightly.

2 Likes