Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

Maybe I am…

good at blanka

3 Likes

That’s like being good at having head lice. Not something to brag about!!

4 Likes

this is my favorite esports storyline now

4 Likes

Ok I can understand it having a better story and better combat mechanics. But does it have as much flavor as KoTOR?

Honestly I probably like kotor better than anything else Bioware have done other than mass effect at its best – it could be somewhat pat at times but they’re not really above that anyhow and it was a very competent work of EU fanfiction which did the whole console-straddling thing in a way that was still novel and impressively playable – but at the same time kotor isn’t really any better than their other work other than by being pretty well produced. This is a lot more smartly written & has real tension in its systems & isn’t an exercise in completionism & has combat that would actually be worth playing the game for & is really pretty to boot.

everything should be doable fine on the normal difficulty. it may be the case that you just need to avoid some fights, particularly with Lu Bu.

My memory is hazy as I’m much more acquinted with DW3 (the mechanics should be largely the same for at least DW3 - DW5), but you can actually make each battle a lot less stressful and prolonged if you let your allies survive. So the way it actually works is that each commander has those stars under his name if you look at the tactical map. that indicates the level of morale. as long as the ally NPC is fighting enemies in your FOV, he will very likely not die. however, if the ally NPC goes off your FOV, his success in the battlefield is calculated based on his morale. for example, your allied NPC commander has 3 stars. if he fights off-map with enemy NPC commander Lu Bu off-map who has 6 stars, he is going to get obliterated hard.
so one way to shape the battles is to look at the tactical map, see which allied commanders have low morale and if it’s less than the force they are engaged with, start killing the troops of that enemy force to lower its’ forces morale. easiest way to lower the morale is to defeat the subcommanders.

at least on harder difficulties in DW3, you pretty much have to help out your allies a bit, otherwise you may end up in nigh unwinnable state. this was aggravated by the extremely lethal archer packs in DW3, something you DO NOT want to go against alone.

fuck I love these games, especially DW3. i think they are somewhat unfairly shat upon.

2 Likes

Yeah, in early DW games, this is always a good idea.

1 Like

Should you not pursue him

3 Likes

if you don’t wanna get bruised

1 Like

so i downloaded a pokemon crystal randomizer that also fuses pokeon together, and its really cool and fun thinking about which fused mons work best. So the fusions work like this, you have a base mon, like cyndaquil and the game picks a random pokemon with the same amount of evolutions as it like gastly. So cyndaquils sprite gets gastly’s color palette, primary type and moveset! So you’d have a purple fire/ghost cyndaquil with BOTH Gastly and Cyndaquil’s learnsets!. I think the stats are mixed up too. The names are even mixed up so it’s known as Cyndastly.
Some highlights include a Psychic/Flying Espeon/Dodrio, Poison/Rock Nidoking/Tyranitar (it has the color palette of sprites when Pokemon Blue was played on a gbc!), a Water/Fire Suicune/Ho-oh, and my personal favorite, a Dragon/Bug fusion of Dragonite and Butterfree!

6 Likes

This is so cool.

Would anyone be interested in a thread where we all play the same randomization of Pokemon Crystal? Could be fun to compare notes on the same fusemon

2 Likes

I can’t avoid him. Act III part 2 is to battle him.

Also thanks for the advice. I’ll give it another go.

Oh also another issue I have is that the guard button doesn’t guard. Literally ever. I’ve never blocked a single attack. What’s the deal with that shit

you have to be facing the attacks directly and lots of stronger enemies can break your guard iirc

DW4 was the first time the series descended into sameiness iirc – 2 was really cool and big for a launch title, and 3 added co-op and fleshed out the koeiverse and made a bunch of obvious improvements (at at time when the engine wasn’t too obviously busted and repetitive by the standards of its day), but after that they pretty much just became “musou games”

I do remember having to actually do some battlefield strategy on 3 on hard to get some of the conditional unlocks and whatnot but that’s, ah, very optional if you just want to have a good time

Here are some examples

3 Likes

We had some family in town for a funeral over the past few days, and I introduced my brother-in-law (who never plays video games except on the rare occasion that he gets to visit us) to Inside, with his two sisters looking on and helping with the puzzles. I generally avoided giving hints, myself, since I already knew what to do.

inside

Of course, we ended up staying up very late so that he could finish the game in one sitting, because how can you not? (I did the same thing a few years ago when the game was new, despite starting fairly late at night and having work in the morning).

I love that the experience would be perfectly satisfying even if it didn’t include that brilliant final sequence.

(Years ago, I had this same brother-in-law play Eternal Darkness, after also having a neighbor play through it. This way, I was able to see the true ending.)

7 Likes

Yes i know you have to be facing them. And if that’s the case then EVERY enemy breaks my guard. It’s frustrating.

EUIV again, this time my united India country has been reverse-imperialisming small countries in Europe. This pissed off Great Britain and France enough that they decided to have a throw down hell-war in an attempt to reign me in. Central Europe is now embroiled with armies because they brought in the two countries that dominate Italy and I have a big northern German ally of Brandenburg. When armies fight it’s a gigantic moshpit that each side keeps throwing in more and more men until one breaks.

This is while the gigantic Ottomans and historically hefty Russia were having their own pissing contest over the small horde country of Nogai.

2 Likes

After more attempts than I’m comfortable admitting, I finally beat Enemy Unknown on normal difficulty in Ironman mode. I don’t want to prattle on too long about it but aggressively prioritizing weapons and armor was the way to go before beefing up my satellite defense. Once I got my satellites in order, it was just a matter of not losing my best soldiers. The only thing I think was missing was the storytelling and world building of the game, but don’t they address this with XCOM 2? Seems like it based upon what I’ve seen.

Anyway, I’m going to immediately move on to Enemy Within because I feel like playing some more and I’m invested in what’s happening now.

1 Like

Jesus, that’s a huge Brandenburg.