Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

I refuse to play it because it takes one of my favorite UNIB characters and reduces him to a few buttons and no UNIB mechanics and that’s just not right man.

Every crossover fighter should just be Capcom Fighting Jam, with characters literally copy-pasted from their respective games and having systems fight systems in a broken, sloppy free-for-all. Those were the dark days

7 Likes

This is why I had to pick characters I hadn’t used before. Picking Hyde was just a progression of confusion and anger and confusion and anger. Whether or not he needs those buttons, he feels incomplete without them. Also standing A is horrible and I don’t want to have to use it ever.

1 Like

I pressed some buttons on the swtich and I’m not feeling it. Button feel is weird, two real buttons with one dust like button and two buttons for managing your reserve character. Being able to call an assist and switch control on the fly sounds fun but feels like to much to be able to just get into it what with assist calls being kinda risky. I dunno, lemme get a real controller and wait for merkava and see how I feel then. Thinking I’ll stick to Dragonball for the most part.

Still playing Horse Fight.

Who’s gonna line up to get these hooves

Slay the Spire is really satisfying to play! I keep getting into situations where I’m like “no way I can win this, but let’s see if I can’t at least learn something new” and then I’ll survive with careful play and feel really accomplished. I played half a map with 7 HP before I got some healing and, well, it felt really good.

Every time I’ve lost it hasn’t felt cheap either. Everything is laid out in front of you enough that you can make good decisions, but enough is hidden that battles don’t feel boring. Relics are a really cool way of mixing up the game, and they force you to really understand the implications of the rules and how changing them affects how the game is played. It all just gels together so well.

People keep talking about not liking the art, but I sort of really do? At least the monsters - they have kind of a soft, surreal quality. Reminds me of the board game Dixit.

I really recommend it. If you’ve ever played a deck builder like Dominion you can pick it up instantly. I think I’ve had to look up one little thing outside the game once, other than that it’s been very good at telling you what you need to know without too much explanation.

1 Like

Also this is very cute

12 Likes

I got Destiny 2 on pc due to humble bundle and feels pretty good to play so far. Lord knows how I will react to endgame stuff when and if I make it that far. I also wish I could bring my ps4 character over but eh, I got this for 12 dollars

I hate all games rn but I started a new cycle on SMT4 and god damn if that early game doesnt feel just right

1 Like

just hit level 10 in pillars 2 around the 16 hour mark so I gather I’m about halfway through and it continues to be an all around great RPG, it’s difficult to imagine what more you could ask for from how well it executes on genre stuff

something else I will credit obsidian with, though it was not at all apparent in the first pillars and only somewhat so in new torment, is that their infinity-by-way-of-unity engine somehow accomplishes having isometric quasi-prerendered backgrounds that actually look nice at very high resolutions

they’re these beautiful dioramas

I know that, as a critic, I am very guilty of appearing not to like things at all up until I’m effusive about them, and this is definitely an example of that, but it’s really good

also the scope of this is not small! dragonfall and numenera both felt like they were able to succeed by being relatively restrained, but this is as big as original sin and it all works

the towns are so big and the dungeons are so variegated

there were only two other games to ever try full-on party AI scripting and they were both kind of a mess in many respects and I thought that design had just been discarded a decade ago as a result but this one really works

You’ve sold me on it but my integrated graphics card in my all-in-one HP thing doesn’t meet the minimum requirements lol. Maybe the eventual console version will have controls that work well enough despite this really being a keyboard and mouse kind of game.

I’d run it on HD 5000 (so mid-end Haswell and up) with confidence but that’d be at the low end and it’s actually worth maxing it out

will also reiterate that the combat balance is perfect at the second highest setting

1 Like

whatever you do you gotta toggle off the “party members join with skills already selected up to your level” setting, it’s way more fun to level them yourself, even if having two characters join you at level 6 and picking all their skills and setting their AI scripts at that point takes like over an hour

Pretty good custom user title, out of context

3 Likes

no when I play I’m going to turn on automatically level everyone else and put it on Story Time For Babies difficulty

7 Likes

also my main is a dual classed rogue/monk and that combination is called a “shadowdancer” (because all the class combinations have cool unique names) and her go-to attack skill that knocks back enemies in combat is hilariously called “efficient anguish” because it was upgraded from regular anguish but I love that they called a skill that

1 Like

10 Likes

After quite a few more content updates over the past ten months since release, Mega Maker is nearly actually usable now- 3/4ths of the enemies / (upgraded) weapons from 1-5, half the level features from 1-6, and also still has a terrible context-based auto-tile block brush system. It’s a bit of a shame this sort of comes too late, though- it may have the generators and reactive enemies and minibosses and level-structure tricks now, but the initial impression of it having almost nothing on release lingers badly, with quite a bit of interest atrophy at this point. Maybe if MaGMML3 helps attract attention to it or if they rebrand with a 2.0 in a year once they have something from 7-11 and the gameboy games and DOS or whatever the fuck they’ll shitpost with.

Anyway! I made another level: Transdimensional Roundabout, ID 221317. It’s got oblique gender metaphorage, branching paths, a long vertical+horizontal scroll section, and my ever-fanged level design chops with combination / iteration.

Also, a less garish palette and a less terrifying boss (sort of).

edit: in the most apt metaphor of all it’s got a negative score due to the difficulty or the name and I have made a level that randos do not want

double edit: I uploaded a nerfed version because ha ha ha I’m broken glass

8 Likes

I played this and it’s terrific and also brutal, and I got stuck on the section before the boss, particularly the part where you have to detonate a bunch of bombs to jump up. Watching your preview now, it appears I was right before the checkpoint which is a bit of a bummer, but oh well!!

Good shit as always