Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

nero owns

1 Like

I havenā€™t played this but you reminded m:

12 Likes

if anyone ever gets 100 blood potions they should have that automatically edited into the bottom of their post

8 Likes

In fairness Nero is a fine appetizer before Danteā€™s insta-switch stylissimo, which is the main pull for Playing The Game Backwards and roughly 40% of the gameā€™s content

Man this is a weird game. i didnā€™t expect so much wandering around and use item on thing ā€œā€œpuzzlesā€ā€. i sorta like the pacing (like the mission iā€™m on seems to be just quiet wandering and a few small fights) but i also wasnā€™t prepared for this to be so backtrack-y. And i keep getting lost looking for the next thing to use thing on, which isnā€™t a big deal but feels kinda silly.

1 Like

it takes a little while to hit a good clip, I remember feeling that way about the first few levels too

Played half an hour of Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl

Guess Iā€™ll see how I end up feeling about it

How youā€™re going to feel is, itā€™s the best, and if you donā€™t end up feeling that, hand in your badge and gun, youā€™re off the force

3 Likes

Qrostar (of Hanano and Jelly no Puzzle fame) released a new non-puzzle game some months back that was not really playable for me due to only being in japanese; unlike those previous puzzle games this has a lot of text. Fortunately Counterhero: Chapter 1 was released in English a couple weeks back!

As noted, not a puzzle game. It looks like a Zelda-like, but with a couple differences that are safe to spoil and at least one that is not. It is turn-based in that you take a move and then any enemies take a move (think DROD or Rogue). It also has bump combat where if you move into an enemy they take damage, and if they move into you you take damage. It is also one you are expected to lose and do better the next time out based on what youā€™ve learned.

It is not an instant classic like the previous two puzzle games were, but it is a pleasant experience that is brief enough (it is only chapter one after all) that Iā€™d recommend giving it a shot if you liked their previous games, or find zelda/rogue hybrids with a clever mechanical twist I donā€™t want to spoil intriguing.

Now, for those who arenā€™t likely gonna play and hence donā€™t care if an interesting mechanical twist gets spoiled: Your quest is to gather 5 red crystals before the next dayā€™s dawn (each step you take advances the clock in the corner by one minute). After a few runs you eventually find one and its gimmick is as such: it appears under your health bar with the number 1 on it and from that point forward you can switch it with any number that pops up. Enemy bumps into you for 4 damage? Switch it with the 1 and take only a single HP of damage. Then bump the enemy back for 2 damage? Switch it with the 4 to double that. Defeat them and gain 10 gold and 2 exp? Maybe youā€™d rather have 20 gold and 1 exp.

It is a cute system and put into a tiny enough game that it doesnā€™t come close to wearing out its welcome. Beyond what I described above there are a some other applications that pop up, a few of them being kooky enough to remind me a bit of Corrypt. There are still a couple things out there that can give you definite trouble and I have yet to finish a run with all 5 crystals (each run takes maybe 10 minutes), plus hopefully future chapters at some point, so I still got a bit more messing around with it to do.

So yeah, recommended, go try, etc.

4 Likes

Is it an original release of the PS2 game or a later copy?

Also, swordmaster style 4lyfe.

The melee weapons all have attacks which you otherwise never see and it really opens up your options. The other styles are neat. But I can play the entire game swordmaster and not miss them. Iā€™m always missing swordmaster, with the other styles.

1 Like

Yeah, it helps to remember that DMC was originally a way to use assets from the failed original RE4, so that RE style lock and key puzzle stuff sticks around. It feels very out of place by 3.

1 Like

Holy Fuck Donā€™t play this.

The chapter ended with the female detective pulling me asside and saying ā€œSorry i have been under stress I am going to go on a date with you to make it up to you. Also I had lots of personal problems, so basically I was on my period.ā€

Holy shit. Grasshopper had some male gaze problems but this is above the pale and lord I hope everyone involved is ashamed at this point (guess not since it finally got a Western release and a sequel.)

5 Likes

Man now I almost feel bad for bothering to pick this up on a steam sale, but at least now I can just not play it.

2 Likes

Please let us know what the liner notes are in that Grasshopper Art book.

In my teens, I thought killer7 was the most interesting game I had ever played. Iā€™m scared to go back to it now that Iā€™m wiser. Really scared.

i beat hyper iria for some reason :wink:

1 Like

Beat Killer 7 a few weeks ago and can confirm is still holds up spectacularly.

Playing Blazblue Cross Tag Battle on handheld Switch and Iā€™ve been surprised how well it plays on the switch controls. Itā€™s very similar to DBZF, so anyone who has been playing that will have no problem making the transition. Again, the portability makes training so much easier as I can pick it up and put it down quickly, whereas cranking up the pS4 to practice other fighting games feels like an event.

1 Like

it really isnt though

in terms of the simplified combo structure and inputs it asks of you, it is. Of course, it implements different systems though. Should have clarified.

1 Like

Ah. Yeah it seems pretty accessible.