Games You Played Today Classic Mini

does the KH team know the FF14 team let you use the touchpad as a goddamn mouse

does anyone even remember that the DS4 has a gyro

3 Likes

seriously it’s like the story mode should be Quest For The Breast Pump

that’s what I get for thinking anything could be better than playing 2 in Dolphin like I’ve been doing for a decade

what happened to soul calibur

how did it fall so far

I dunno. 6 is supposed to be back to basics, but it feels so damn…dry? Boring?

Like, yeah you can make your own character, but all the bits and pieces are pretty much the same as they’ve been since Soul Calibur 3, but now you can make a marionette or lizardman or angel?

And as a supposed remake of the first game, it’s missing some of my favorite stages. Where’s my burning castle? Venice?

I dunno, comparing it to Tekken 7 doesn’t even seem fair. It just feels slight.

the castle stage becomes on fire in round 3

1 Like

been replaying final fantasy vii because today is its 22nd anniversary and it’s my favorite game ever

12 Likes

chiseled my way back into Bloodborne… I had spelunked 90% of Yharnam and was maddeningly unable to beat either boss when I last put it down. tonight I went back and got my levels right, got my head right, and beat both Cleric beast and Father Gascoigne to finally progress in this godforsaken bloody game. yeah it’s awesome.

7 Likes

MOTORSTORM

I remember being very impressed by the demo of this when I was in a game store forever ago so was keen to play it, and it’s kinda not very good. Well, it’s not awful, but it doesn’t tick the right boxes for me. Track design requires too much memorisation, the vehicles feel too light and aren’t fun to control, and the crash animation goes on for too long and ruins momentum. Just doesn’t feel good to me. It sure looks cool, though! Also the soundtrack sucks. Also it has to load the vehicles for the vehicle selection screen! Just use static images instead of wasting my time!

PAIN

A very stupid game where you slingshot a hapless person into a scene and try to cause as much destruction and pain as possible. Basically Goat Simulator without the open world stuff. I don’t like Goat Simulator much, but this amused me for twenty minutes. Doubt I’ll ever go back to it again, though. Actually, I guess I could say the same for Goat Simulator. I should note I’m really not a fan of physics focused games, both 3D and 2D.

ZONE OF THE ENDERS HD

I almost bounced off this one but stuck with it and really dig it now. Feels like a PS1 game in good ways. Enjoy the combat, it’s simple but dancing about trying to get the best shot in (or getting in close for some slashing) while avoiding too much building damage is pretty fun. BUT OH MY GOD, this game doesn’t shut up with the cutscenes going into incredible detail with stuff that doesn’t matter. They go on forever, and they KEPT CROPPING UP, I just skip them all together now. Sorry Kojima, I don’t care about your bad Neon Genesis knock-off.

ARMOURED CORE FOR ANSWER

HOLY HELL THIS IS HORRIBLE. The controls are awful! The “push the sticks only a little to do this” doesn’t work and gah, this game just ain’t happening. AND THAT SLOWDOWN. Really made me appreciate Zone of the Enders.

2 Likes

Pure is the muddy racing game of that generation that I like.

2 Likes

Can never trust you again. But also, I always heard the ps3 version was the way worse one, so there is that.

1 Like

What. It’s more Gundam than anything.

I’m mainly making reference to the protagonist being a whiny insufferable kid with excessive emotional baggage

neon genesis is awesome tho

1 Like

i got a physical copy of blazblue chronophantasma on vita for 290 yen from yaj. this is a lavishly produced game! everything looks so expensive!

it’s pretty fun, too. i haven’t played one of these since the first came out on 360 many years ago. you can change the in-fight voice acting to english, but not anything else. that’s weird.

1 Like

I legit found it unplayable, the controls are awful. I read that you can change them, but I don’t know if that will help my CORE!!! problems with it.

Also there are huge, huge framedrops at some points, like Blighttown times 10. That’s probably a PS3 exclusive.

Yeah, I remember fiddling with the controls in the 360 version, but I don’t remember exactly how.

The framerate was not great on the 360 version, but everyone said it was way worse on the ps3 one. This is sad because the underlying game has so many incredibly neat things going on storywise and such.

Really, if they were to remaster one AC game, 4A would be the biggest beneficiary. Those boss fights would be amazing on a system that could actually run them.

That’s still a Gundam element.

3 Likes

This thing is so big I can’t zoom in enough to show the individual elements.

I’m building these white, green and blue circuits that are part of AngelBob modded Factorio.

This is just to see if I hooked up all the inputs properly and the input producers are coming in to this section. If you look at the first picture all those separate stations to the right are other parts of the factory specifically to make those. I didn’t have any of them except for raw wood, iron ore, solder, tinned wire and copper plates prior to starting this silly thing.

4 Likes

Now that God Eater 3 is coming out I thought it was time to go back and play some of my old monster hunting games instead and I was reminded of the cute story part I was at in Toukiden 2.

The start of the game has you defending a town from a demon attack alongside your demon slaying force until you get sucked into a time portal and lose your memories from before that battle. You appear in the middle of nowhere and are taken in by a nearby village of demon slayers who help you realize you’ve teleported several years into the future. The only thing you remember is how to fight, but you learn that your commander from that battle survived and now works at the demon slayer HQ.

So you’ve got this goal throughout the game that you need to somehow meet up with this commander and in the meantime you help the village with their troubles. Eventually you get word that the commander is coming down to the village to get status reports, saving you the trouble and going to him. Finally, you’re going to get some answers on who you are and what’s going on.

The commander comes and recognizes you, saying he thought you were dead and that you don’t look like you’ve aged a day since he last saw you. You repeatedly try to initiate a conversation about your amnesia but the commander seems to brush you off every time. Eventually you manage to meet him one on one and you explain to him how you don’t remember anything. The commanders reaction is like “Okay, so what?” And you’re emphasizing, “No, really, I don’t know who I am,” and the commander again is like “yeah, I got it already!”

Because, you see, before you were sucked into a time portal, became an amnesiac, and appeared in the middle of nowhere, your real identity was an amnesiac who was found by the commander in the middle of nowhere.

I found that story beat to be really cute. It subverts your expectations of the typical plot flow, where you were expecting some sort of revelation but instead got a re-iteration of the same mystery. But it still provides a path forward for the game’s story, because now you know that whatever has happened to you is something that’s happened to you before (who knows how many times) and instead of just trying to restore your memory there’s now a deeper meaning to discovering who you really are.

4 Likes

Bioshock was Invisible War all over again. Except no-one in the press apparently played the Shocks, so they didn’t care that the game was focus tested into oblivion and showered the game with 10s.

1 Like

ok i tried anthem and uh it’s over-designed garbage

it was fun for the five minutes i actually got to play it… maybe???