Games You Played Today Classic Mini

The darkness 2 has brian bloom

Watched my friend play Kingdom Hearts 3. Gave me the best laugh Iā€™ve had in a good while. Just because you put in the disk and press start donā€™t mean youā€™re playing KH3. Not yet. They make you wait just a bit longer.

1 Like

i tried to look up how to read your objective in the darkness but i just got links for kingdom hearts stuff instead

1 Like

This is the best fuckinā€™ joke and I laughed so hard when ā€œKingdom Hearts II.9ā€ showed up. Fuck yeah, Nomura. A++

1 Like

Iā€™ve actually been playing Dark Souls 3 and itā€™s surprising how many references there are to Demonā€™s Souls: Irythill Dungeon (Tower of Latria), Lothric being basically Boletaria, less in terms of look (although itā€™s probably most traditional castle after Boletaria), but moreso in the way dragons are placed + itā€™s use as both beginning and the end game, Firelink Shrine as the Nexus, Yhorm the Giant as the Storm Ruler. Thereā€™s probably quite a few more that Iā€™ve forgotten. Definitely taps more into the Demonā€™s Souls than it does Dark Souls 2.

4 Likes

I like dark souls 3 a lot but my biggest issue with it is how it consists almost entirely of throwbacks to the souls series. it is beautiful and well crafted, I just feel like it doesnā€™t have much to say on its own.

say what you will about 2 but it definitely has its own voice and identity.

9 Likes

Kingdom Hearts graphics are so good I might die and the neighbors might think there has been a murder considering how many times I have screamed Oh My God! In the past 30 minutes.

Iā€¦think I need to go buy a PS4 Pro like today.

3 Likes

it works as a capstone, though. thatā€™s kind of its thing. and it plays exceptionally well. its a game about cycles that really has to know how close Darks Souls: The Franchise could be to falling into that trap

2 Likes

agree.

only thing that would really sour it in retrospect is if they released Dark Souls IV that would be more of the same shit, but as an end to the franchise it fits well imo.

1 Like

I finished THE DARKNESS which is thankfull pretty short. Previous statements stand, itā€™s a clumsy but interesting shooter that kept me going to the end despite how rough it is at times. The biggest problem is how bad it is hinting to the player as to what they have to do in a lot of situations. I ended up just having a FAQ open to smooth the experience over, I frankly would have enjoyed it less if I struggled with some sections forever. The edgy grittiness was both good and bad. It got a bit tiresome when it was at its most extreme, but I also found it nostalgicā€¦ it was gritty in a way dopey adolescent 90s comics were (Macfarlane ones especially). Which should be no surprise as itā€™s based on a comic that started in 96.

SO YES, clunky but interesting game. Recommend playing it on easy and with a FAQ for the best experience, but still recommend it.

2 Likes

Sora looks dead into the camera ā€œAlright whatā€™s nextā€ Yes Sora Yes.

My god this game is what if Kingdom Hearts was good? Thereā€¦is actual writing and timing and you feel like the vague cryptic bullshit actually means something (because this time it has to mean something) and the battle system is almost Ninja Gaiden 3 level of YAY Button.

I picked up some Celery and I never saw the Rat Chef Movie but deep in my heart I went I AM GOING TO COOK SOME DELICOUS MEALS WITH MY RAT FRIEND.

2 Likes

What was the name of that film? I only remember the Japanese title which is Remyā€™s Oishii Kitchen.

3 Likes

Ratatouille

Iā€™m six hours into Iconoclasts and Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m enjoying it?

Like, the puzzles and platforming are all right, but almost every dialogue is like the most pretentious high school essay on religion.

3 Likes

yeah, this is basically the gist of it. i never finished it, but maybe one day.

i received my X.B.O.X. recently and am now awaiting my glorious new television set and then i will probably pick this up as my first-ever foray into the weirdness that is KH.

Thereā€™s a pretty solid ā€œthe story so farā€ thing in the game that sets things up. Alternately, you can listen to me and a friend clown around on most of the series on a podcast if you want. Or the episode of Hinge Problems where Rudie tried to explain this madness to me years ago, which led to me playing the series.

1 Like

I just saw my friend clear the Toy Story section and there was a lot going on. I mean like legit. Theyā€™re actually exploring some themes in a real way. Almost. Thereā€™s a double whammy of the existential identity crisis of being a toy and the connection between people that can break or be a crutch that can hamper personal growth etc. Itā€™s still very anime but they actually gave a damn about the writing so far.

3 Likes

do you still have to navigate a vertical command menu with the right stick in the most demented realtime adaptation of a JRPG battle system imaginable

There is a vertical command menu but I think you can assign stuff to face buttons so it basically plays like an action game. I mean it is an action game now right?

I keep watching every time Tim streams and Iā€™m like dang am I actually going to play a Kingdom Hearts game and the answer is a solid maybe probably.

2 Likes