Games You Played Today Classic Mini

brinkā€™s maps are so beautiful and the characters are so freaky looking. they really had the guy who designed de_dust on their team. would things have been different if the player didnt look like a mutant die antwoord member

3 Likes

I donā€™t know what this means.

This got me shakinā€™ while waiting for my pizza to arrive. I think Iā€™ve got the FEVER

The music of Plok is the best thing about Plok, other than the fact that you can pick up a blunderbuss occasionally and just shoot trash at people.

1 Like

Neither; found a Madmanā€™s Skull in the sewers, thanks to notes.

But I also beat the Cleric Beast! Got it down to 1/4 health on my own, died, summoned help, and beat it on the second go.

1 Like

I liked the weird stretched characters a lot for some reason.

If you want to know why Brink died @notbov has the answer

WHERE DO I START

1 Like

honestly the biggest reason for Brink and for the recent spate of big and medium multiplayer-focused FPS failures is a refusal for the developers to meet players halfway, instead relying on genre expectations to fill in a lot of the gaps. games like Brink, Battleborn, Dirty Bomb and Evolve, while not explicitly hero shooters (well, Battleborn is) assume that the player has that base understanding of shootman because theyā€™re playing the game but refuse to tell the player anything past that. Battleborn is a really good example of this, a game whose ā€œtutorialā€ is its campaign (which isnā€™t uncommon, DICE does this with modern BF releases, giving you a tour of basic mechanics and vehicle handling) but doesnā€™t tell you things like ā€œhey, no, people arenā€™t going to die in 2-3 seconds of sustained fire early onā€ or ā€œthis is this modeā€™s objectiveā€. Evolve expected way too much teamwork and put an unbalanced amount of pressure on one role (the trapper) in the early game (which they kinda went too far in the other direction in 2.0 but who gives a shit the game is dead). Brink and Dirty Bomb (they get grouped together because they are 95% the same game from the same studio) suffer from a similar expectation of teamwork and also the dreaded and long-standing issue of Play The Fucking Objective.

now, youā€™re asking, why did these games crater and something like TF2 is still stupid popular? I mean, TF2 had a pedigree. Team Fortress is a known quantity, that first wave of players who got into the game knew what they were getting (and, for the Splash Damage titles, this had some effect as well). this is why Overwatch also succeeded in a crowded marketplace that was more corpses than live bodies; aside from the Blizzard Bounce, the game always positioned itself as TF-slash-MOBA. the continued popularity of the former and the rise in prominence of the latter meant more people were could come in and get grips with some aspect of the game and then transfer over to the other chunk easily. furthermore, while shooters had been exploring role-based gameplay for decades, the idea of heroes with individual loadouts was no longer odd because weā€™re living in a world where LoL and Dota 2 are absurdly popular.

(thereā€™s a whole 'nother digression here about how R6S, Paladins and other in-development hero shooters hitting around the same time as OW only leads credence to the idea that this wasnā€™t a thing Blizzard made manifest but was rather an inevitable design point but you ainā€™t paying me for this)

now, rest assured, Brink died for numerous other reasons as well. shaky servers at launch, a janky PC version, MEGATEXTURES, a heavily advertised but barely there campaign, numerous class, weight, weapon and map balance issues the likes of which probably deserve their own post mortem, the good-idea-in-theory parkour system-thing. but mostly, a combination of the market at the time being both past and not ready for the school of design the game was operating in.

my dumb closing anecdote is playing the game when a free weekend was going on and having to tell someone that, no, their getting spawn camped is a part of the intended design and to, in so many words, git gud.

8 Likes

REmake 2 looks so good I had to cut off a Letā€™s Play. I want to play it. I have no money for games this month and thereā€™s Ace Combat 7 too! What a predicament

Fire Emblem Echoes has most adorable title screen

i have been playing THE DARKNESS which i have wanted to play for ages. i played the second one first which is a much better game mechanically, but the first one is waaayyyy more interesting. love the non-linear areas, the wandering around areas with npcs, the adventure-gamey bits, shooting out lights to maximise your powers, the bit where you watch a movie with your girlfriend even though she is obviously going to get fridged. sure itā€™s clunky as hell but iā€™m having a great time with it

6 Likes

They took that stuff out of the second game?!

it was made be a different developer who made it much more like a straight shooter. the darkness stuff is handled much better and itā€™s not a clunky mess, but itā€™s also far less interesting. i still enjoyed it, though

Ah, I thought they were both Starbreeze.

Refreshing my memory-- seems they were doing the Riddick remake/sequel after The Darkness. For some reason I thought they did both that and Darkness 2 at the same time.

Yeah, The Darkness 2 is way more satisfying as an actual ā€œpressing buttons doing thingsā€ game, but only in the first game you can stand near a homeless guyā€™s cart and watch most of The Street Fighter on a subway platform.

2 Likes

isnā€™t the first game where you can also watch the entirety of to kill a mockingbird in one of the TVs

6 Likes

Yup, thatā€™s the one. You watch it in your girlfriendā€™s apartment as she snuggles up with you.

The darkness 2 has brian bloom

Darkness 2 sucks ass. Whatā€™s the point of a barely competent shooter with gross ultraviolence for no reason, you could be playing literally anything else