1 Like

idk what to tell you, the whole thing is quite bizarre

is suda51 a hypocrite

1 Like

nintendo is false punk
any console is actually
and steam

2 Likes

Yesterday my friend and I played Suikoden 2 for 12 straight hours. Actually that’s not true we stopped to eat a kebab and watch day 5 of the January Hatsu Basho Sumo Tournament. But otherwise it was suikoden all day baby.

The music is absolutely terrible. Just, disgusting annoying horrible preschool versions of jrpg music, which is often already a racist preschool version of real life music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U07jmG0p_GQ
Here is the theme for one of the most significant towns in the early stretch of the game. This music plays over countless dialogues between important war leaders as they discuss strategies and partnerships and politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duAZw5dHlhk
Here is the theme for a town that looks extremely Chinese. This song sounds like someone else’s child screaming into your ear. The clap playing on every beat is funny though in a post-trap world cause it just makes me think of twerking. Imagine someone twerking to this song in Magic City.

Suikoden 2 is pretty cool though.

I like the 3 different battle systems for various scales of warfare. The regular JRPG battles for when you’re adventuring. The fire emblem battles for when there’s a proper war going on. The 1v1 turn based fighting game thing for important fights against important people (not to be mistaken for boss fights, which are against unimportant but large monsters or people). I think it’s literally impossible to lose the fire emblem and 1v1 fights though, which kinda sucks. Or maybe it’s fine idk. Who cares. They are narratively effective.

I like that the 108 characters thing is actually used well. Those people are all real characters and you can use them and if you don’t use them it’s okay. They’re doing their own thing, and they don’t feel like they’re just waiting in a menu somewhere to be chosen for your party. They are all contributing to the war effort. It really starts to feel like you have an army. I like how rarely you have full control of who is in your party. At one point your best friend who is obviously going to betray you ends up betraying you. He was, up until that point, a mandatory character in your party. He has a combo move with the main character called Buddy Attack that hits every enemy in the field. It is the best attack in the early game. When he leaves, you don’t have this attack anymore, and the battles start to become properly tough. That’s a good narrative technique! People are dropping in and out your party constantly, people are becoming mandatory and unmandatory constantly, people are going off on their own things and becoming unavailable constantly. We missed so many opportunities to get so many characters, and for most of them that means they’re just gone now. But not because they’ve been blinked out of existence by the game. Usually when you miss a chance to get someone it’s because their town got destroyed and now everyone in that town is dead!

Yeah! The towns get blown up constantly. There’s a god damn war going on here! The enemy army is extremely powerful! They are one step behind us at any moment! Their wave of control is spreading over the map all the time! Areas get locked off all of a sudden and if you didn’t do everything in them, that’s probably it! It’s all gone! Everything is dead and the area belongs to the baddies now. It’s genuinely impressive how naturally and believably this all happens. It feels much less like a static world that only moves when you hit the obvious trigger point for the next story event than most jrpgs. There are so many trigger points and they are relatively subtle. You don’t know which one caused which world state to change.

9 Likes

Suikoden 2 is supposed to be The Really Good One but I never played it, I only ever played the hell out of 1, and I loved it.

That one had good music! I still love this track!

No just kidding I meant this one

Seriously though give the first game’s OST a listen, I think it’s the great unsung hero of PS1 RPG soundtracks

1 Like

AcDohl

1 Like

how would you feel about only referring to one another as Viktor and Flik from here on out

1 Like

yes, Suikoden 2 has awful music, but the first one (as Father.Torque mentioned) has excellent music.

God dammit, Suikoden the First is so rad. I love it.

I’m about three hours into Suikoden 1 now (been playing at bedtime on my Vita) and the story is starting to hook me.

I can’t tell if there are systems I’m not supposed to be engaging with yet because I’m too early, or if I am missing out on exploring them, because the game hasn’t really explained runes or unite attacks and whatnot.

suikoden 1 is the good one, a breezy 12 hours of blue sky jarpeg

2 has too many walls of text about nothing

1 Like

Suikoden 1 took me 28 hours and I will forever wonder how everyone did it in 12.

speedruns are ~2 hours

I’m uninstalling smash bros because it’s apparent that the netplay will never be good so I basically wasted $60

why is it literally impossible for a nintendo game to have good online play

So much Suikoden love right now. I just watched a retrospective of it on YouTube some days ago. Seems like really interesting games. The first one is supposed to be pretty easy and the ideal first JRPG for newcomers. I think that’s high praise actually

The games never feel very interested in the battle mechanics, which is not a problem in 1, a game that stays breezy all the way.

2 and 3 have some pretty big difficulty spikes with their final bosses, and right at the end you have to start paying attention to your 70 million characters and runes.

I actually remember fighting the Suik3 final boss with Geddoe and the 5 useless dogs thinking I had a chance, and I got promptly annihilated. Team:

Then I came back with Geddoe’s crew and lost again. Then again with the most competent characters I could find and still lost. I
had to spend like 4 hours tweaking the team, min maxing and selling paintings (?) before finally winning

5 Likes

yeah the first game is gentle enough that you can totally beat it with whichever characters you like the most (or break it over your knee with valeria)

however you can lock yourself out of The Good Ending fairly early on if that’s something you give a shit about

all of the Suikoden games are a breeze, it’s just the first one respects your time more than the others. but all of the bosses, including the final boss, are a complete joke regardless of who you have in your party. i’ve beaten 1 and 2’s final bosses using joke characters. My favorite to bring along in 1 is Blackman because he’s a rad farmer and uses a hoe.

I loved suikoden 2 so much that I even loved suikoden 3 as an after effect. suikoden 3 is pretty fucking weird. and it’s long. I bet it doesn’t hold up too well. I remember very little about it

1 Like

The coolest thing about 3 was the goofy protagonist system that lets you play from the perspective of a non-fighting town management guy and also as a non anthro little ass dog.

1 Like