Games You Played Today Classic Mini

I do not like mario kart. I do not like having to choose zillions of different little stupid things about my kart and racer. I hate how customizable and configurable it is. you know what’s a good game? super mario kart on SNES. you just choose a damn character, a track, and then you race.

what is the point of all the little doo-dads?

6 Likes

yeah that is a weird thing that team has fallen in love with, I noticed it when I played arms briefly and it made more sense there

I think they’re pretty ignorable; I don’t have any real problems at 150cc just bouncing between a few things that look good wrapped around Morton’s chunky Austrian bodybuilder frame

2 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of it either, but it doesn’t bother me that much and it does enable you to sort of tune a specific character towards acceleration or speed. A more elegant solution would be like the acceleration curve tuning you can do in F-Zero X/GX games.

I think it’s pretty core to what ARMS is trying to do; a lot of the game is learning which ARMS work well with which characters and what loadouts to use in certain situations.

1 Like

Putting Daisy on a motor scooter is the hottest thing you can do in a video game.

7 Likes

beep beep, beep beep yeah

2 Likes

only compelling counterargument tbh

Yeah, it definitely makes more sense in ARMS. Each arm you can equip has a concrete, immediately noticeable effect on gameplay. They’re essentially different movesets. Mario Kart’s abstract stat boosts barely make a difference in playing the game, they’re largely unnecessary cruft that introduce significant unpleasant cognitive load when you’re just trying to pick a fun character at your nephew’s birthday party.

2 Likes

dead rising 3 is quite bad. everything good and unique about the original game is gone, replaced by a featureless zombie sandbox game with no personality, tension or urgency. a gigantic space without the gameplay variety to justify it. the only novelty is the combo weapons, which are already intensely overpowered to the point of trivializing difficulty within the first sub-area.
rip capcom vancouver

2 Likes

Okay so first of all you can put Waluigi in a shoe on monster wheels, which is good.

Secondly, the three types of karts (ATV, Cycle and, uh…Kart) have extremely different handling. Karts are very standard, ATVs tend to steer better except when drifting, and Cycles steer like shit but have extreme cornering when drifting.

Third, you can put dry bowser in a car that looks like a lady bug on wheels that look like buttons, which is good

Fourth, yeah the most important things are acceleration vs. speed but handling and grip also make an incredible difference in cornering.

Fifth…yeah it’s a lot of cruft but I can put Lemmy Koopa in a purple lowrider on metal wheels with a flower parachute so I will defend it to my death.

11 Likes

fuck all that shit for outrun 2 imo

3 Likes

I will shill for Sonic Kart 2 and say all the customization was the characters and then choosing between preset configurations called “mods” that would skew them towards a specific stat with all the trades offs already made. Unfortunately it required grinding to get them for characters.

It’s been years since I played Dragon’s Dogma (on PS3, back when it still had the good title screen music). I remember the required foot travel making a journey actually feel like a journey in a way that you don’t see very often in video games. And, of course, it’s important to at least occasionally be stuck outdoors at night to encounter things that you’re not prepared for.

I understand that the game was updated at some point to give you more than one portable Portcrystal for fast travel, so at least later in the game that should no longer be an issue.

I’m surprised there isn’t a second Dragon’s Dogma game by now. I guess it wasn’t enough that I bought it twice. (On PS3, you had to get a whole new version of the game to play through the Dark Souls-inspired extra area.)

1 Like

This is what stuck with me about the game – on at least three separate occasions, I undertook a package delivery quest that ended up as a Tolkein-esque epic journey far past my planning or resources. A bandit fort blocking the mountain road, a chimera attack deep in the night, a goblin ambush at the end of my rope, nearly lost and starved – incredible, and worth putting up with the atrocious item inventory (actually, lifting NPCs like potato sacks and depositing them on rooftops is worth the item inventory).

The world design is rather different from other open-world games, clearly thought of as interconnected semi-levels with specific chokepoints and narrow paths with predefined encounters, and I think it’s mostly successful at generating more interesting play than the normally a-designed open-world spaces. (hmm, maybe it sits closer to Destiny’s not-really-open world design)

That Kenshi writeup I did above gave me that feeling of journeying like nothing since Dragon’s Dogma, actually, and it’s one of my most treasured feelings. Getting lost is something games are uniquely well-suited for, with safe but interesting penalties and structures, but we keep adding convenience features like automaps and compasses and stripping out any spatial challenge.

4 Likes

you :clap: should :clap: never :clap: have :clap: to :clap: unlock :clap: multiplayer :clap: options

6 Likes

(unless they’re purely cosmetic or it’s tony hawk 2 and it takes like 45 minutes to grind out a maxed out 2P)

(on Dragon’s Dogma)

I should say I love the over world wandering. In fact I’m on a grand adventure right now, I just wandered out as far as I could in a direction after a quest didn’t pan out and found a fort and a dead end and now I’m making my way back with few healing resources left but better weapons and a new support sorceress. Its really my own fault for some of the retreats I’ve had to make and yeah I have that crystal now (I supposes I should use it?)

Another criticism is that I can basically heal may way through fights I have no business surviving. I think in the future I need to adopt some sort of item discipline to avoid this tendency. Or figure out how to better lure things off of cliffs.

Other positive points for potential new players:
The places I’ve been have been very memorable. I rarely get turned around and I don’t see any copy-paste.
The fight dynamics are really fun and fast. Playing with launchers especially so.
The Ai is delightful. I feel like my pawns are my buddies. Especially my main girl who is a tiny ranger/archer with a purple mowhawk.
This game LOVES berserk and you can make a pretty convincing Guts.

1 Like

I mostly ignore the config but I 100% agree it doesn’t add much to my interest beyond visual gags.

I get mildly salty over this the game because under-steer is speed based and you cant reduce with like, weight transfer actions like dabbing the brakes. I guess this would give seasoned players an subtle advantage and this game is all about being LOUD

modnation racers was the greatest kart racer of all time

1 Like

i think i’ve played the first ten hours of dragon’s dogma three times

7 Likes