Games You Played Today Classic Mini

A friend gifted me a copy. It’s ok but I can’t say I’d recommend if you’re gonna play solo unless you don’t mind randos. I’m not a big fan of L4D like games barring Killing Floor. It’s ok. It has more going for it to keep things fresh. 5 characters to level up so you can find different play styles to find your best match and there’s a loot grind of sorts to give different options for each character so I at least don’t feel as bored by playing levels repeatedly. It feels like there’s some depth to the melee but with the density of the mobs it doesn’t feel like there’s much to learn how to do it better. The friends I play with have already gotten to mid or endgame stuff so I mostly just feel like I’m just along for the ride as they get all the hidden collectables and know the best routes and roughly know the spawn patterns so I kinda just turn my mind off and just keep clicking.

1 Like

What’s a swap buffer?

In some systems you can swap the piece by holding it before it appears, IIRC

1 Like

Woah ok some wild shit just happened in Subnautica and I am now comfortable saying y’all should PLAY THIS GAME. It takes the most worthwhile ideas from Ecco the Dolphin and Metroid and does some of the best environmental storytelling I’ve seen in that vein.

6 Likes

Yep, looks like it supports that too. They’re both options, though, and I think they’re disabled by default. They’re labeled “Initial Rotation” and “Initial Hold” in the menu. It’s described as “the ability to hold a Tetrimino before it appears”.

1 Like

Hmm, I find the buffer much less useful in Tetris Effect than in TGM though. TGM has more time where the piece is locked but the next piece hasn’t come yet. Here, it doesn’t feel like there’s many frames to buffer it, because once the piece is locked the next piece is coming out almost immediately (and if you do it too soon, you’re rotating your current piece). I mean, I guess it just makes it so you can press fast drop and rotation/hold at the same time, rather than staggering them slightly.

currently at orphan of kos on bloodborne. i’ve given it a few attempts and it seems theoretically more manageable than Ludwig was for me, but I won’t deny that it’s pretty tough. at least unlike with Ludwig, I manage to consistently dodge out of situations where I’ve gotten hit, whereas with Ludwig all my errors always snowballed (mainly in the second form, first form is pretty easy).

still playing Everybody’s Golf

2 Likes

me playing Clam Blitz when it was new: this is terrible godawful garbage who is this for remove from rotation

me playing Clam Blitz now with a team who gets it: oh my god it’s actually really well made for not being couched in Splatoon’s central mechanics but still remove it from rotation so I can fail at Rainmaker more

1 Like

This pretty much mirrors my experiences.

I love Rainmaker, I think it should be the particular alternate Splatoon mode, both in casual and ranked. I might honestly argue it’s more “Splatoon” than turf war. Way more team-oriented and definitely encourages people to play the fucking game instead of jerking off in some unpainted corner that doesn’t matter. Nintendo really fucks up every opportunity they can when it comes to online matchmaking in their first-party games.

1 Like

haha I was waiting for this! all I can say is yuuuup

1 Like

Mothergunship is stupid and fun and i love it. You build big stupid idiot guns and shoot robots. It has co-op. It’s what Borderlands was in my mind before I actually played it and realized it was just Diablo With (Some) Jokes

It’s the first roguelite I’ve played in a while that I actually enjoy. The rewards from leveling up are actually very minor, which is great, and getting new gun parts is helpful but…you can only take like 5-6 of them on any mission, so it’s not actually THAT helpful. Which is good! I want to be able to customize my runs but also not feel like “I can’t complete this because I haven’t leveled enough”.

I’ve read that the endgame is nigh impossible but I’ve already played about 3 hours and have been having a blast, so I’ll just stop playing when I get bored.

4 Likes

on the cusp of 2019 I am still playing dragon’s dogma

4 Likes

I still love final fantasy XIII. It has inarguably the best version of the chocobo theme of all time.

crazy chocobo?

on the other hand, I literally just uninstalled this game 5 minutes ago because I did not understand it

this one:

I love it, this game doesn’t deserve music this good tbh

2 Likes

So much of ff13 is better than it should be, considering the glue that holds it together is…not as good.

The best version of the chocobo song is this mp3 I’ve had sitting on my hard drive for 20 years that is titled Mambo de Chocobo but I guess apparently Mambo de Chocobo is just the name for FF5’s version of the Chocobo song and I can’t find it on youtube. But it’s a live big band, playing mambo style with the melody being carried by jazz flute and it ruuuuules

2 Likes

nothing will be better than twee synthpop de chocobo