Games You Played Today Classic Mini

omg

Finally played enough of Heaven Will Be Mine to reach an ending, and I see what you mean.

I also loved WKTD. It probably helps that I was in Boy Scouts until I was 18, and despite sticking with it and growing to appreciate it, I know enough about myself to realize itā€™s not something Iā€™d have chosen for myself, probably. WKTD isnā€™t really about that, but the similarity of setting made me even more invested in understanding the significant differences that underpinned its world.

HWBM asks a lot more of its playerā€”nobody grew up in space getting trained to pilot space robots. Not that the ship-selves really even resemble robots more than superficially.

I felt this way about WKTD to a lesser degree as well, but I struggled to follow the emotional logic of this story. Luna-Terraā€™s aloof betrayals, Plutoā€™s grandiose shouldering of everyoneā€™s burdensā€¦ itā€™s all described, but the concrete details are only alluded to, and combined with all the other ambiguity, Iā€™m not really following so far. Theyā€™re not so much characters than they are archetypes. Which was just as true in WKTD, but when those characters acted in defiance of the roles theyā€™d established for themselves, it made them feel more real to me. I need to play more.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great because I just bought the 3 ds version of dairy queen 8 and literally everything hurts my eyes

1 Like

Kirby Canvas Curse is a pretty good depression game.

3 Likes

Qud is my depression gameā€¦ I picked it up again to whittle away the hours with yesterday but the feature Friday update broke cookingā€¦ it was kind of fun to see how far I could get before I slowed down and starved to death. Playing a plant person helped a littleā€¦ turns out playing a regenerating spiderplant kite person is a pretty good time

I am really going to be glad when I get good enough at this game to get anywhere without a total cheese build

5 Likes

Scratch that, four-armed crab men with axes all the way~

No one on SB2 has ever mentioned Code of Princess. Well I just did!!

Iā€™m playing the Japanese version and the voices are great and cute! This is not what I was expecting. The dialog is relatively charming. I really like the necromancer. And that everyone has pretty ridiculous outfits works out.

The game itself could be better.

1 Like

my number one memory of Code of Princess is figuring out how to make all the numbers in the background work to my favor and using this to abuse a late-game boss, after which the game crashed, seemingly in protest

it is not a great game but Iā€™m glad they tried, and then tried again, then went out of business and then came back and tried a third time

2 Likes

Ali is the funnest character imo

Mobius Final Fantasy has an FFX event going on right now where you play a story that assumes Tidus comes to the world of MFF after the events of FFX. He canā€™t remember his name (as no one can in this gameā€™s world) but Wol, MFFā€™s protagonist, finds a blitzball nearby thatā€™s signed ā€œTidusā€ and they assume that must be his name. However Tidus says he canā€™t recall anyone ever calling him that and instead remembers being called things more like ā€œkidā€ or ā€œhey, youā€. Wol sympathizes, as he, too, has a player selected name in his own game.

15 Likes

I have completed Amerzone and wanted to share my final thoughts.

Amerzone feels like a proto walking simulator at times. The first two sets of puzzles were far and away the hardest and most compelling in the game. The challenge for most of the later puzzles is just finding what part of the environment you need to click, and with the 360 globe vie ala Myst 3 in full effect, this is a lot harder than it should be.

But donā€™t let that stop you from playing it. There were enough moments my jaw was on the floor from just how weird some of the moments in this game were to make it compelling anyway. Every time one of the freakish looking humans turned up, there would inevitably be a short but bizarre dialogue sequence where their entire face looks like itā€™s about to explode from some unknown internal pressure.

The animal animation, when itā€™s there, is pretty cute though. And the mechanical stuff is always cool looking, even if thereā€™s far less of it in the game than Iā€™d like. In retrospect, Syberia 1ā€™s lack of human characters and abundance of weird machines is really just playing to the teamā€™s strengths.

The actual ending had a bit of animation so confounding, so weird, so totally out of left field it made almost every flaw of the game disappear from my memory. Itā€™s one of the most out of left field visual designs Iā€™ve seen in anything just because it doesnā€™t fit the rest of the gameā€™s aesthetic at all.

One big thing if you venture into the Amerzone: Save frequently in multiple files. This game is very janky and there was one very brutal late game breaking bug that happened because it wasnā€™t prepared for me to not do things in a prescribed order. So keep a few save files, because I canā€™t imagine itā€™s the only one in the game.

In any case, Iā€™d really suggest getting it for a dollar for the next, I dunno, couple hours itā€™s a dollar. Itā€™s worth a dollar for sure. I would not recommend the ten theyā€™re asking for otherwise though.

6 Likes

Thereā€™s something to be written about how adventure games were interested in pushing the boundaries of computer animation and ended up with that same early-90ā€™s bizarre aesthetic mystique as those contemporary CGI short film compilations. A weird throwback to the same idea is the Animusic videos.

5 Likes

This is what I always think of as the archetype of this aesthetic, tell me this environment and character design doesnā€™t 100% belong in a 1991 first person Mystlike:

The other idea this kind of thing is linked to inextricably in my mind is a Neuromanceresque cyberpunk. Something about the abstraction of it combined with the new age/spacey feel makes it feel like thereā€™s infinite possibilities, always something just over the horizonā€¦

9 Likes

just found out my ps4 can power my pstv

1 Like

iā€™m finally keeping with final fantasy 8. itā€™s an incredible game that has a lot of customization and different ways to experience it. in my game rn squall hunts monsters to transform them into cards and then plays triple triad a lot. thereā€™s a lot of back and forth with plot progression and goofing around or stocking up on magic. so far i love it

9 Likes

goddddddd I love FF8. If Iā€™m honest with myself, 90% of the reason I went to the University of Kansas in 2000 was because the student union reminded me of the Balamb Garden aesthetic. I love the look of Deling City, too! I have to stop this post now or Iā€™ll go on all night!!

10 Likes

I have decided playing Code of Princess is a punishment.

The flip side of this is I got Gekido on my switch after never buying it on GBA. It is not good in ways not worth articulating.

A tumbleweed passes by my icons for Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 2 on my threeds.

Just Beat Magical Drop 5 on all difficulties with my sega stick.

Just do not bother with 5 there is something fucky with the AI in this iteration of the game. Also there are a few techniques you can use to totally break opponents.

Example: When you see a clear-all drop for a particular color, get a combo or two ready and then hammer the drop button to flood the screen before popping the all-clear. If you can get a 3+ combo and clear most of the screen in the process the opponent is just done 95% of the time, especially early in the round.

1 Like

Yeah, Code of Princess is OK as Guardian Heroes Lite until it stops being that. The PS1 Gekido was not good, and the GBA one wasā€¦aslo not good.

why would you buy Gekido on your switch when Phantom Breaker is right there

ā€¦donā€™t tell me you bought CoP EX and Gekido before getting the Belt Action Collection