Games You Played Today Classic Mini

come to violence club wednesday to see a 80s hong kong movie that has a part where they drive into some weird ass tiny car elevator that goes down to some giant parking garage that seems to sink down into the earth forever and presumably has alternate exits that lead up to somewhere

3 Likes

Yeah in terms if Shenmue Chapters Shenmue 1 was Chapter 1 and Shenmue 2 was 3-4-5. Ch2 was on the boat.

I am glad I haven’t played it yet if the Afterburner is screwed up!’

deciding to sell sonic mania plus :confused:

2 Likes

Is that actually specified in the game? Sure didn’t look like a walled city

It seems the arcade cabinets are trying to emulate the rear speakers, but since I don’t have a surround sound set-up, the music in each cabinet is lower than it should be . There’s no option to change it either

No.

It is idealized, placed on a hill for dramatic effect, opened up probably to both ease production and make it actually traversable with late 90s tech.

You can see in the prototype concept footage shots that look more explicitly like the real location. Suzuki has referred to the area as Kowloon Walled City in later interviews.

I mean, it’s not a coincidence that they made a ramshackle high rise tenement maze located in the Kowloon area of Hong Kong in the late 80s?

No, but it does seem like the devs got the two areas confused for the same thing, especially since the walled city didn’t have 40 storey skyscrapers. And the fact that the Wan Chai area has some of the same weirdness going on

1 Like

Hmm, Shadow of the Tomb Raider sure was a video game.

I mean, it wasn’t bad, it’s just one of 'em you play and finish and go “huh neat” and pop out the disc.

3 Likes

The Gauntlet remake from a few years ago is pretty fun. Individual rooms/encounters feel like little puzzles. Have only played it 2P so far.

1 Like

Dragon Quest XI: Dropped.

1 Like

How far did you get?

Octagonia. I managed to win the tournament and kill the giant performance enhancing drug supplier lurking underneath the city before throwing up my hands and deciding that the lord of darkness could have the world and everyone in it so long as I didn’t have to sit through any more cutscenes or hear that town theme ever again.

6 Likes

Yeah some of the individual tunes in the game don’t feel like they were designed around the fact you’d be listening to them for upwards of an hour at a time over a potentially 80 hour plus playthrough

2 Likes

That was never a strong suit of the series but i imagine the higher fidelity visuals don’t help the impression

It’s sort of cute to hear the same comforting little town jingles all the time when the hero & friends are chibi sprites

I haven’t listened to the soundtrack but it’s reportedly pretty balls anywho

I have actually been playing DQ8 and i still love it. It’s a real warm blanket game. i haven’t played the 3ds remake and im gonna make the completely uninformed claim that the ps2 version is the best, and furthermore the pretty menus and voice acting and orchestral soundtrack actually add a whole lot to the experience. And also the random battles are good :pensive:

3 Likes

The next step in my journey through Eurojank adventure games is the sort of prequel to Syberia, Amerzone.

The aesthetics of this game are absolutely perfect Myst-Clone dieselpunk. Even with the extremely low resoloution, I’ve actually been taken aback by how gorgeous parts of this game are. Conversely. the voice acting and character animation sounds and looks almost like a 3d counterpart to Animation Magic’s style.

The plot has you smuggling a magic bird egg back to it’s home under the nose of a South American dictator. I’m 90% that returning this egg will somehow depose the dictator or cause him to change his heart or something.

This is 100% because some old guy said you had to, and then fucking died in front of you. Most peopeople would have contacted a coroner to lay his corpse to rest. Instead, you immediately start solving Myst style puzzles in the dead man’s home. Again, to return a goddam magic bird’s egg.

What I’m saying is, so far this is a 10/10 must play.

14 Likes

I have desperately wanted to play this game ever since I found out about it here a couple years ago. Is it on like GOG or something?

1 Like

Right this second you can get it for 99 cents:

https://www.gog.com/game/amerzone_the_explorer_legacy

1 Like

I have played all the way through Steins;Gate Elite and Famicom Steins;Gate and no publication responded to my pitch to review them!

So I guess I am going to write a big stupid long essay about S;G and put it on Hinge Problems!

8 Likes

Dipped back into Assassin’s Creed Origins, what with the new one hitting next week, and decided to knock out the last of what it had to offer by playing through all (!) of the guided tours in Discovery Mode.

It’s actually pretty damn cool, as far as a sorta “walk through this meticulous recreation of BCE Egypt and hear about how they had bad teeth due to eating sandy bread” experience and whatnot.

After nearly 150+ hours it’s off the ol’ hard drive.

1 Like

i just made someone ragequit on soul calibur vi’s network test beta. do they know their rank won’t crossover?

3 Likes