Games You Played Today Classic Mini

The first one has a better soundtrack than Zwei if nothing else.

I liked the rearranged Saga soundtrack I think.

I just found out you shoot “communist sympathizers” in Fallout 76. Truly the anti-sb game

2 Likes

bethesda really don’t understand the point of that franchise, do they?

1 Like

You mean you’re not a fan of the heroic and selfless paladins of the Brotherhood of Steel?

4 Likes

somehow we’ve managed to take scarcity economies in CCGs from the physical to the virtual and I’m just very disappointed

3 Likes

I dunno, pivoting from the horrors of nuclear war to letting me spend $14.99 to dress my nuke up like the Vault Boy and launch it at some guy whose mom is yelling at him to come to dinner, well. That’s its own kind of hell, if you think about it.

2 Likes

I mean, the thing that made Fallout 4 fun for me was literally hunting down and murdering every single member of this faction with Adrien Brody’s fists or a baseball bat, so I might be a fan, but not the way they want me to be.

1 Like

i found yoshi’s house in odyssey

4 Likes

I think there’s a place for it; I certainly savor the experience I had as a child building from limited means and slowly expanding them, but then, I’m the one who always picks ‘Deprived’ class and loves the tough survival edge of games. I think it breaks down when people build decks according to meta and then it needs less friction/money extraction.

I’m also happy we’ve got card games with other models running simultaneously, mind.

We can extend this to any randomized reward schedule in games, which operates on similar principles; I think they have a purpose, they’re often overused, and we should train players to understand how to break away from them (idealistically, I thought idle games would do just that, nakedly expose the tricks of random reward schedules to break addiction. Oh how wrong I was)

Wait, are Bethesda Brotherhood of Steel not explicitly, obviously, fascist Templar cosplayers? I didn’t get far enough in Fallout 3 to really tell

I just have to pop in again and mention that I don’t know anything about the Fallout series, so that was not a comment on how the series changed or whatever. Maybe you always shot communist sympathizers? Just thought it was funny/inappropriate

They keep using them and their armor as mascots for the series, so I think Bethesda (or someone) likes them.

Interplay Fallout is guilty of that as well; it’s a good design (armored gas mask) and has an interesting tension between villain on the cover and aspirational player power promise.

I think that sits uneasily with fascist glorifying but that’s inherent in almost every violent game. Do you know if it’s worse now?

Bethesda has always written them as straight up good guys.

1 Like

Well that ain’t good!

1 Like

The market isn’t very liquid yet so if you just take the lowest price someone’s asking for, you’ll pay somewhat more than if you set the highest bid price and waited for someone to sell it to you. The difference between the lowest ask and the highest bid in markets is known as the “bid/ask spread”.

For instance, this is the most expensive/sought-after card in the game currently, Axe:

The prices are fluctuating constantly, but on my screen right now the lowest ask is $16.51 and the highest bid is $14.75. So, if you set a bid at $14.76 and waited for someone to sell to you, you might save a buck. These savings can add up if you’re going for a complete playset, but of course you can disregard this all and just take the lowest offers if you’re buying in bulk and don’t wanna bother.

2 Likes

Fallout 3 has a ridiculous final encounter where you tag along behind a bunch of OO-RAH!! Brotherhood of Steel marines while a giant robot nukes everything. it’s so fucking stupid

4 Likes

Ah, gotcha, that makes sense

Fallout 4 at least made the Brotherhood seem like a bunch of zealous dicks.

I also bailed on the game like 150 hours in, but wasn’t your Brotherhood buddy actually a Synth and has a huge crisis over it?

1 Like

in fallout 3, the brotherhood of steel were unambiguously the good guys: they were fighitng against the fascist enclave, sharing tech with the people, and trying to provide food, water and medicine.
but it was explained that the brotherhood in this area was a kind of offshoot, different from the isolationist cult in other areas. so in new vegas, the brotherhood branch you meet is an isolationist cult: the live in a secret bunker, keep their technology under lock and key and are very distrustful of outsiders.
then in fallout 4, they’re now a gigantic military organisation with the outlook of an x-men villain faction that wants to enforce laws and genetic purity and so on.
there’s two other big factions in fallou 4, and they’re supposed to be all morally equal, in a limp centrist kind of way. all three are pretty awful though. as well as the brotherhood, there’s the minutemen, who are kind of american dream rugged individualist second amendment types, and the institute, who kidnap people to replace them with robot clones for some reason and they also have the tehnology to give everyone clean water and food and power but they don’t want to, for some reason.

so you can pick the bigots, the ayn rand fantasists, or the guys who could help but don’t feel like it and also do pointless evil things for no reason.

and then in the exapnsions you can straight up become a raider and enslave villages instead of helping to rebuild them.

i just want a cool game where i can shoot monsters from a long way away and find stuff in rotting buildings in post-apoaclyptic land waaauuuugh

1 Like