Games You Played Today Classic Mini

Historians are canceled

4 Likes

I tried to play Shadow Tower the other night. My first attempt was in an emulator, but my SNES-style game pad didnā€™t work very well. I couldnā€™t hit any of the enemies because they were short and I couldnā€™t look down.

I then decided to try the PS3 version, and discovered that Iā€™d already purchased it at some point. Despite being able to look down with the shoulder button, I still could not seem to hit most of the enemies. I did strike a spider once after several sword swings, and then it killed me.

One thing I like about the game is that if you happen to move left or right at the very beginning, you instantly die.

This one might be a little too inaccessible for me. Iā€™ll probably give it one more try, and then if I still donā€™t have the patience for it I will take a look at meauxdalā€™s videos to see what the game is like. (Iā€™ve avoided such videos thus far because Iā€™ve always planned to try the game myself.)

3 Likes

Momodara 4 is a near perfect little game.

It doesnā€™t over stay its welcome. Has a pretty nice ramp to it. Doesnā€™t bog down in details with systems or trying to be too clever about navigating the game world.

Graphics are ace.

Combat is distilled. But it doesnā€™t feel too simple.because its tight and fast and the game makes you flex in satisfying ways.

Iā€™m a little surprised that I donā€™t see more outright love for it, around the internet. Sadly, it seems a bit overshadowed by some other similar games which have ā€œmoreā€ content or whatever.

2 Likes

Yep, Momodora RuTM and Environmental Station Alpha have refined the Metrovania format to a higher level in many respects, but nobody noticed because the genre doesnā€™t get people excited anymore.

I find it a bit sad how enthused people were about Cave Story at the time, but not these gamesā€¦

1 Like

I think Iā€™m like the last person to reach this exact same conclusion but oxenfree has some really impressive storytelling (itā€™s pretty wild thinking about the degree of mixed media expertise it takes to create these narrative games at this point) without much of a resolution

Iā€™m glad I played it, itā€™s got nice vivid characters and some good moments

itā€™s funny how overrepresented the greater seattle area is in indie game storytelling

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had the Oxenfree dynamic theme enabled on my PS4 since the gameā€™s launch. At this point, I canā€™t imagine switching it out for another theme or going back to the default. One of my friends who visited to watch a movie said that the menu music was creepy.

The only problem with the theme is that it was created before they added the ā€œCommunitiesā€ main menu item, so that item is a different color than the rest. But I can live with that.

i still use the read only memories theme because its very good

1 Like

Rez Infinite theme for life

1 Like

Paradigm sure was designed by someone who went to art school! But seriously, the puzzles were fine and the in-game walkthrough/clues system is a thoughtful inclusion for people who donā€™t have the time/patience for point-and-click adventure game nonsense.

Also Jakob recorded lines for every possible action including ā€œHello, <inanimate object>ā€ for every non-talking hotspot in the game.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know, Hollow Knight got some major recognition recently and does more interesting things than Momodora 4.

Playing Momodora 4 on hard I remember using almost exclusively the bow and never the leaf, I donā€™t feel they got the balance quite right and the game suffered as a result

I will love basically any Keyring game though

2 Likes

my problem with Hollow Knight is every part of it feels like an answer to ā€œwow, how did they ever make such a big game so cheaply?ā€ (answer: molasses pacing, make the entire hook about being lost and fragile except itā€™s still a metrovania so itā€™s just long and repetitive)

4 Likes

Bingo, and letā€™s not forget the low-detail artwork and the generic player moveset with no personality.

All that said, I thought Hollow Knight was an excellent game. Itā€™s a fair tradeoff they made. Just like the tradeoff of making Momodora RutM short but extremely polished was good.

1 Like

the combat definitely takes some getting used to. you need to be very, very close (generally touching) to land hits depending on the range of your weapon, and most of the early game weapons are pretty short. your angle also matters a lot for fighting slimes.

itā€™s a pretty punishing game but the more you stick with it the more rewarding it becomes!

1 Like

yeah, I obviously have nothing against no-budget work, but the praise for low-budget-punching-at-mid-budget seems a little cheap to me, seems too much about conforming and economizing at that point (speaking as a highly conformant and economical person).

Iā€™m at the very beginning of Final Fantasy VII. I guess the remake hype got me curious what Iā€™ve been missing.
So far the only Final Fantasy Iā€™ve played to the end is Final Fantasy X.

7 Likes

FFV and FFVI have aged the best. Theyā€™re still beautiful RPGs that totally hold up (for very different reasons, too!)

Iā€™m planning to wait for the FFVII remake. Whenever I tried it in the past, I always stopped playing FFVII after Midgar at the point when it suddenly loses all focus and momentum ā€“ as far as Iā€™m concerned FFVII is basically the early game and the rest is filler.

3 Likes

Definitely playing through VII and VIII again this year. VI I wonā€™t need to for at least another decade. Kind of stirring a muddy thinkpiece ā€œSquaresoftā€™s greatest before hypest, and the cinematic deluge post-hair spike/bigass knifeā€.

IMO, you can only go up from X. What im sayinā€™ is, thereā€™s a chance!

1 Like

Yeah, same here, I know FFVI practically by heart after beating it five times, and it doesnā€™t reward replays that much. I might nostalgically pick it up in my old age but otherwise, not worth another 30+ hours of my time to go back to that well, as much as I like it.

I have completed VII 3 times and it isnā€™t even my fave. The first time was a full run to level 99, all summons, all weapons.

Well, except for whatever you get for beating Emerald weapon. Iā€™m not into that sort of battle.